WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here really believe themselves to be a completely independent thinker that is in no way affected by marketing, hype and the opinions of others?

I always love when people post how they buy what they like and don't care what others think. That marketing doesn't work on them and hype is just that... hype.

Then you look at their collection
Speedmaster
Submariner
SKX
and a Vostok Amphibian.

Who are you guys trying to kid?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
From the TV series, The IT Crowd:

Jen: What about the [cola] advertising?​
Roy: Oh, advertising doesn't have any effect on me, Jen. I tune it out.​
Roy: Oh, cool, look! They've got this great little game on their home page. You have to throw a little can of cola into a giant mouth. That's brilliant. God, I'm so thirsty.​

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don’t understand the grown men who are so obsessed with trying to be or trying to appear to be such a contrarian purely for the sake of being contrarian. It just reminds me of high school attitude of ‘being a rebel’ and disliking anything that is mainstream regardless of the product’s own merits.

In the case of the speedy, sure I may have fallen victim to the marketing. But I really don’t care. I love all things NASA/space race/Apollo/etc. Sure, it’s been marketed to death in regards to the Speedy, but that’s because it actually is really F’ing cool if your are really into that stuff. If you’re not into that stuff, no big deal. It’s just another watch, and can go ahead and pay it no attention. But I’m not going to dislike something I’m REALLY into just because it’s popular or it’s been marketed to death. Now IMO, THAT is the real embarrassing character trait; ‘I really liked that thing, but then it just got too popular for me.’ Whether they do it subconsciously or not.

I’ve seen it manifest itself in various ways even within the WIS world. It’s present in pretty much everything to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I mean, here's a crazy thought. Could it also be that the thing most people like might be designed so that, here me out, most people would like it?

I mean, yes, marketing is almost always in play, but it could be that it just appeals to a lot of people.

Also, there is no such thing as a completely independent thinker because that person would never have been heard of. The second one human meets another, whether they its concious or subconcious, their thoughts are being influenced by the presence of that someone. The person who is thinking about why everyone is buying the same thing is being influenced by those people, because the truly independent thinker wouldn't have noticed or cared.

·
Registered
111 Posts
haha i get your point too. I'm liek that but then i look at my colelction... 90s seamaster bond, back bay red eta, speedy, skx013, pelagos, sinn 104. I wouldn't say that it was marketing but I love each of those. I do have some unique pieces as well - Glycine Airman 18, Doxa sub 200, Helm Vanuatu

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
IDK if I COMPLETELY agree with the OP's post...

I think all watches are marketed to us. But I think people ultimately decides what they want. If I have a collection that has DOXA, Frédérique Constant & Daniel Wellington am I an independent thinker?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Marketing aside, what others recommend on watchuseek really DOES have an influence on me. I don't pretend to know everything about watches so when a large group of watch nerds say this or that is great I take notice. And yeah, I got Vostoks, skxs, Omega and they ARE great.

·
Premium Member
10,713 Posts
Does anyone here really believe themselves to be a completely independent thinker that is in no way affected by marketing, hype and the opinions of others?

I always love when people post how they buy what they like and don't care what others think. That marketing doesn't work on them and hype is just that... hype.

Then you look at their collection
Speedmaster
Submariner
SKX
and a Vostok Amphibian.

Who are you guys trying to kid?
This is a little bit like asking what came first, the chicken or the egg? are those watches on the top of the wishlists because of the hype created by youtubers and supposed trendsetters, or are those watches so good and popular which lead the youtubers and trendsetters simply to echo the vox populi? I, for one, started my Rolex adventure 30 years ago, am I supposed to dump my collection today because of the hype that started a couple of years ago? Even in the case of someone that never owned any of the above models, but had set a milestone years ago to get one at the present time, is he supposed to change his plans because of the sudden hype?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I tend to be motivated in the opposite direction. I tend to veer away from watches that are the more obvious "staples". So I guess the marketing has the opposite effect on me.
Now, I'm not out there buying one-off independents or anything, but I like what I have to be a bit curious or get the "intrigued approval" nod over the "of course" nod. Part of the reason is I like the value in buying watches "nobody wants"; part of it is that I like to discover a watch on my own a bit. Some of the mainstream staples like the speedy and sub have already had everything said and analyzed about them. It's not that they aren't special watches. But they seem to be special because everyone likes them, not the other way around.

·
Premium Member
5,058 Posts
Posts of this type tend to bring out the binary thinkers. Either the OP is dead-on or he's so wrapped up in his own coolness that he can't see the "truth."

Let's be real here, the answer is somewhere in the middle and it almost always is. The Speedy wouldn't be the icon it is if it wasn't marketed so aggresively. Same goes for the sub. That being said, that in no way takes away from their attractiveness or quality. I'm closer to the OP in that I'm inhertently suspicious of marketing to the point that I go out of my way to buy the alternative. I bought a GS instead of a (fill in the blank). I bought a Pelagos instead of a (fill in the blank). I bought a Damasko DC80 instead of a Speedy.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Marketing works on me, always has. I can be persuaded to buy something that I didn't know anything about, but read some marketing materials on and got to know the product. I don't fall for the hype as much (just see my recent posts about not liking speedy much), but it sure affects how I see things.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Oris and Hamilton seem to come up very often (as sort of the anti-heroes perhaps), as well as the GS for those brooklyntonians hippsteroids who done grown up. And let's not forget about the ones that really drive the hobby, the old (> 0.8 albedo) men with disposable income who buy the Cartier, PP, AP, VC; of course none of them are driven by advertising, it's all just secret knowledge passed down between old guy and even older guy (or young guy and Daddy).

It seems as though it's only those that buy watches <$500 (maybe <$1000 if you're into the seiko cliche line) that are truly mindless and easily led. The true luxury watches are bought only by the strong willed and strongly independent old, highly albedic men.

·
Premium Member
10,713 Posts
I'm sure we can find the answer as soon as we find out how to objectively quantify how much marketing or hype affects someone.
I am not sure that marketing is what creates the hype. All the major watch companies spend a lot of money (per watch produced) in marketing; Rolex and Patek have been spending huge amounts in advertising for decades, and yet, the hype is quite recent for both, could it be the promise of instant big monetary profit that is the cause of all the hype?

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Posts of this type tend to bring out the binary thinkers. Either the OP is dead-on or he's so wrpapped up in his own coolness that he can't see the "truth."

Let's be real here, the answer is somewhere in the middle and it almost always is. The Speedy wouldn't be the icon it is if it wasn't marketed so aggresively. Same goes for the sub. That being said, that in no way takes away from their attractiveness or quality. I'm closer to the OP in that I'm inhertently suspicious of marketing to the point that I go out of my way to buy the alternative. I bought a GS instead of a (fill in the blank). I bought a Pelagos instead of a (fill in the blank). I bought a Damasko DC80 instead of a Speedy.
The thing about the Speedy is that it's the equivalent of the proverbial middle aged carpet salesman bragging about his high school football days. It has been more than half a century since the moon landings and manned space exploration has ground to a halt. There's a future where the US was arguably on track to go to Mars in the mid 80s. But now we are no closer to getting there than we were back during the Apollo days. Omega's incessant marketing of the Speedy is a mirror image of the pride the country takes in the Apollo missions - a great achievement, but also a reminder that they are no longer quite capable of collective great achievements.

The Sub is just plain boring. I prefer to not wear something that looks into the past.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts