WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

some time ago I had a problem with two LUM-TEC. Suddenly a small mark appeared in the inner side of the crystal, something simitar to a fingerprint, that only could be visible placing the watch in certain angles. At first it was hardly perceptible (less than 1 cm long) but it grow and even some more marks appeared.

First of all, I thought they were humidity marks, because a flaw in the gaskets or something similar. Later I started to suspect a bad AR treatment. I shipped three times the watch to LUM-TEC, once to their technical service in Europe and twice more to their headquarters in US, and they couldn't solve the problem. They opened the watch, looked the mark, they didn't understand the origin of it (they said it looked like oily), they cleaned it, sealed the watch, shipped it back to me and, a few days later, the marks again appeared.

At last, LUM-TEC replaced my watch for a new one, and some days later, again the marks in the new watch!!!

I reached a conclusion -correct or not, I don't know-: LUM-TEC uses a low quality AR treatment and I opted not to buy again one of their watches. But one thing's certain... I've searched in several international forums and I haven't found anybody with the same problem.

Here the first part of the story. I associated it with an especific problem of LUM-TEC. The serious problem has arisen this morning, with my new Doxa 4000T: after two weeks with the watch on my wrist, today a very similar mark has appeared in the inner side of the crystal.

As you can understand a Doxa is a much more expensive watch, and I am a little bit desperate. I've written an email to Doxa and I've felt that I was reliving the LUM-TEC experience: in a very friendly way they have offered me to ship them the watch to be checked and cleaned, without clarifying the possible reason.

I am afraid of the chance of starting again all the torture I suffered with LUM-TEc, shipping the watches three times to their technical services, but this time with a watch that has cost more than $2000. That's the reason I'm writing this topic, hoping you can help me in some way.

Have you ever had a similar experience? Do you know what can be the reason of these marks? What do you suggest?

PS: I know you will probably ask me to take a photo of the mark, but it is something impossible... at least for my photography skills.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,698 Posts
So far you have identified a problem with your watch and the manufacturer has responded in a friendly and very positive way. At this point I don't know what help or additional advice anyone else could offer.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far you have identified a problem with your watch and the manufacturer has responded in a friendly and very positive way. At this point I don't know what help or additional advice anyone else could offer.
If you've read my post, LUM-TEC couldn't solve the problem. I am not trying to criticize neither Doxa nor LUM-TEC. Both have got excelent post-sale services. I would like to know if anyone has experimented a similar problem with their watches and how he could solve it.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I would like to know if anyone has experimented a similar problem with their watches and how he could solve it.
There are two ways to solve it - change the crystal, or get the manufacturer to replace the watch.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have no experience whith what you described ..but could be something you are doing?

Perhaps you're putting the AR coating under undue stress ...for example having the watch bake in the sun on the dashboard of your car and then go diving in ice cold water ...or something like that?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I've experienced a similar problem with a LIP I own. When I first received it there appeared to be a "smudge" on the reverse side of the glass. I removed the movement and carefully cleaned the glass, less than two weeks later it re-appeared. I very rarely wear the watch so I've left it alone. I have no idea what the smudge is or where it came from!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no experience whith what you described ..but could be something you are doing?

Perhaps you're putting the AR coating under undue stress ...for example having the watch bake in the sun on the dashboard of your car and then go diving in ice cold water ...or something like that?
Nothing at all and I've thought a lot about it. I am very careful with my watches. I've got lots of them of several branches (PAM, Rolex, etc.) and never a problem... Only with the Doxa and the LUM-TECs

·
Registered
118 Posts
As you can understand a Doxa is a much more expensive watch, and I am a little bit desperate. I've written an email to Doxa and I've felt that I was reliving the LUM-TEC experience: in a very friendly way they have offered me to ship them the watch to be checked and cleaned, without clarifying the possible reason.
I doubt they could even begin to guess at a reason without seeing it. Could be the AR coating, could be you are very unlucky and got a few watches with issues, etc. Given the value of the watch I'd certainly send it off to them to evaluate.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,698 Posts
If you've read my post, LUM-TEC couldn't solve the problem. I am not trying to criticize neither Doxa nor LUM-TEC. Both have got excelent post-sale services. I would like to know if anyone has experimented a similar problem with their watches and how he could solve it.
Your experience with Lum Tec is not relevant. Your description makes me think that you are seeing a reflection. I do not think that two watches would be either leaking moisture or outgassing from the lume material. However, please just let Doxa work on the problem and don't agonize over the unknown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts