WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to get one in stores? I see it recommended often for rebrushing. I have some dings in the case of a watch. I was going to leave the wabi, but I made a gouge in the case when prying the bezel off and I'd like to ease the appearance of it using hand tools.

·
Registered
519 Posts
3M - Home Depot - $4ish - probably worth 10x that.

Had a 15 year old watch that I was not going to wear anymore, the maroon gave it a second life. BUT, be careful with this stuff, it's WAY too easy to start brushing every shiny thing in sight! Just remember, light pressure, ONLY ONE DIRECTION!

Cheers,
G

·
Premium Member
14,693 Posts
I believe it is available at most home building supply and many auto parts stores

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd never heard of this before and most of what I see online talks about using it to prepare a surface for painting.

So maybe I'm the only slow-witted one reading this, but what's the watch usage? Can you re-brush brushed metal? Or turn shiny metal into brushed?

·
Sinn Moderator
9,805 Posts
I'd never heard of this before and most of what I see online talks about using it to prepare a surface for painting.

So maybe I'm the only slow-witted one reading this, but what's the watch usage? Can you re-brush brushed metal? Or turn shiny metal into brushed?
With the Scotch Brite pad it is easy to touch up a scuffed brushed watch case or bracelet. You and also use it to turn polished metal to a brushed look. I use one and have had good results. As was suggested, apply gentle pressure and go in on direction only. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What is the best color scotchbrite pad to use for brushing a shiny surface because it comes in a variety of colors (black, grey, green, white, maroon) all representing different levels of abrasiveness.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What is the best color scotchbrite pad to use for brushing a shiny surface because it comes in a variety of colors (black, grey, green, white, maroon) all representing different levels of abrasiveness.
I only ever used the green and maroon ones but they were enough (The green one is coarse while the red one is rather fine). Get both of them and 2000 grit (VERY FINE) sand paper and just carefully brush away in the same direction. The sand paper is not a must but it gives a very delicate brushed finish that looks just as good as any factory brushed finish I've seen (not bead blasted though. you can't get that kind of finish by hand as far as I know).

As long as you pay close attention and brush in the same direction the final result will be wonderful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts