WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now...Ni Hao everyone!

What a day. My new friend Martin (a WUS member living in Beijing) was kind enough to meet me downtown and spent the entire day with me taking/guiding me to big and small markets, introducing me to watch sellers, to sellers of everything else, and to skewered quail eggs, spiced potato slices, lamb and other Beijing street food...incredible tasting, very inexpensive and fully nourishing food) and one snack and a meat that lasted me all day.

And the entire day from 9 AM to about 8PM was spent on our feet...I haven't walked that much in years. :-d

This first photo is Martin and I at the Temple of Heaven around sundown ...just to prove I got to Beijing :) Temple of Heaven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details on the temple.

martin and ron 1.jpg

This photo is the cook at a market (that's our food on the grill)...

cook at market.jpg

Me happily stuffing my face...

stuffing my face.jpg

This next is the huge and beautiful TV screen at Tiananmen Square (there were literally thousands of people watching wonderful photos of scenic places all over China, displayed because of China's big "Golden Week" holiday) and just a photo of only a small fraction of the people at this huge square.

huge TV at the square.jpg

crowd 2.jpg

I have to say that even without speaking the language, everyone...everyone...I've encountered from sellers to just folks walking around has been friendly, courteous and extremely good natured. Even going from place to place well after dark when we walked down long, very dark alleys in places called hutongs (kind of like older downtown neighbourhoods) encountering people alone or in small groups, all ages...not once did I feel anything but safe,comfortable and easily welcomed. (Oh yeah, and the weather today was wonderful :-!) That's a huge change from walking down urban alleys anywhere else I've been. All day we both received smiles from all sorts of folks who were just aware we were foreigners happening to pass by. We got Ni Hao from lots and even "hello" from quite a few folks.

Watches, you ask? There's watches in China? We found a few but I haven't had time to take photos. Instead, just to tease the daylights out of everyone...

Here's a shot at the first market Martin introduced me to (Where's Martin? ;-)) ...

market1.jpg

Here's a shot of Martin with Mr Cao (Cao Lin Gao) and, I think, Mr Cao's son at one of his two small market shops in Beijing:

cao shop1.jpg

and some shots of Mr Cao's watches for sale...

watches1.jpg

watches2.jpg

...and, a shot of the sign at this shop, followed by the address exactly as it is written on Mr Cao's business card.

cao sign.jpg

The address: Chaoyang District, opposite the willow and all the junk (yes, that's exactly whatt it says :-d)

Before I close this post: Martin, I want to thank you for one of the most fascinating days of my life, You are a thoughtful, generous and friendly and intelligent, perceptive guide and I appreciate every second you spent showing me around. Thank you, xie xie!

More later...

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Glad you are having such a good time Ron, and thanks for remembering us!!! Now stop teasing us and show us a little of your treasure trove.

Have you had any dumplings or Peking duck yet??? You have made my mouth water with those snacks....lol.

Looking forward to seeing future episodes of your travelogue.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Great news Ron glad to hear your having such a good time and i also would like to thank Martin for taking the time to show you around because i know just how bewildering it can be when you first land in China !

Yes the people are wonderful !!! so friendly and happy even though they work 24-7-365 Just watch out for the guys who want you to drink Bai jiou with them !!
Bai jiou is similar to our paint thinners and you will be legless in minutes !!!!!!!!!

can't wait to hear your next installment ! zaijiang 黄龙

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Thank you for the update and the pictures :-!! And thanks Martin for showing Ron around Beijing. I look forward to hearing more in the future.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Looks like you are having a great time! So nice of Martin to show you around. The oriental cultures are so different than western, they are very friendly and welcoming.

Course, not one wrist shot?!? And, what were you wearing? This is a watch forum after all! :-d

·
Registered
967 Posts
Seems like you are having a fantastic time there. Enjoy it Ron !

·
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ron, I imagine your told Mr. Cao "that will be fine, I will take the lot of them". Am I close?
I wish. It cost me far too much to get here to even think about that. I settled for a few :-d

·
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Banned
2,545 Posts
Fantastic fotos! Gorgeous fotos! Thanks a lot Ron for this very informative info, and enjoy your stay there. Hope you will bring some nice timepieces home.

Capt. Serdal

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hi Ron,

Thanks for those fantastic photos and account of your 1st VCM hunting day in Beijing. :-! It is so nice that Martin showed you around. And I wish to thank you for your kind understanding that I did not show you around as a host. I am pleased that you are having a good time in Beijing, and wish you a happy stay in China for the rest of your visit to othere places.

Cheers,

Zhang

·
Registered
365 Posts
Zhang,

you should take a lot of credit for the successful day out as I would not have found any of these markets without your kind assistance.

- martin

Hi Ron,

Thanks for those fantastic photos and account of your 1st VCM hunting day in Beijing. :-! It is so nice that Martin showed you around. And I wish to thank you for your kind understanding that I did not show you around as a host. I am pleased that you are having a good time in Beijing, and wish you a happy stay in China for the rest of your visit to othere places.

Cheers,

Zhang

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Zhang,

you should take a lot of credit for the successful day out as I would not have found any of these markets without your kind assistance.

- martin
Martin,

I am pleased that you and Ron had a great day. Please let us know if you caught any interesting pieces. Your Shanghai A623 is a great catch.:-! It is already expensive on taobao.

Zhang

·
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Ron,

Thanks for those fantastic photos and account of your 1st VCM hunting day in Beijing. :-! It is so nice that Martin showed you around...I am pleased that you are having a good time in Beijing, and wish you a happy stay in China for the rest of your visit to othere places.
It's a pleasure, for sure.

And I wish to thank you for your kind understanding that I did not show you around as a host.
不客气
, 朋友.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts