WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found and bought these 2 watches without having my usual time to fully evaluate . But I do have a solid 14 day cash back return . My concerns: I had no way to open either so I don't know what movements are in these nor their condition although both are working. I will have my watchmaker open before my warranty is up . My watchmaker is competent but doesn't have a collectors mentality or good appreciation of vintage values so i very much value the opinions of this forum. I think the Longines dial is original but I believe the hands and crown are replacements? It is 14k case. The Marvin I believe is all original with a bit of wear on the signed crown. I would hope this carries an In house movement. I believe this is an 18k case which is the reason I bought this. The only clue is that blurred picture with a hallmark. With a loupe ther are 3 markings. I can't make out the mark on the far left. The center mark is a large K and the mark on the right is a smaller 18. No plating loss evident anywhere. Anyone familiar with Marvin aware of their markings.?
Finally if this doesn't bend any rules I would appreciate opinions on whether I paid too much. These days even if I really like a watch it is important to me that I don't overpay. I like the Marvin a lot. Not really so fond of the Longines. Just thought it might be a good value. I paid $180 for the Longines and $280 for the Marvin. Sorry I can't get all my photos to upload but the important ones are there. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
The Marvin should be straightforward to open. Just use your usual case-wrench on the screw-in back.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan. It is a screw down case but not one for the usual wrench. It's like the Polerouter type caseback 12 sided. I am trying to upload a picture but it's just not happening.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The Marvin can be opened safely with a pressure type opener, unless it is extremely tight, in which case you'll need something more elaborate. The Longines requires a special wrench (it looks like the Admiral model style case).

The hands and crown on the Longines are incorrect.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong to do so, but I open those 12-sided case-backs with my normal 3-prong wrench.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I probably could have done that Dan but I was worried about scratching considering I might be returning. Turns out the caseback was actually not on tight at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts