WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Have had a new arrival to my vintage collection. Picked up this Marvin "Flying Dutchman" from someone whose Grandfather was a pilot for KLM airways in the 1950's. This watch is a special version that was issued to flight crew. Marvin was the 'official' watch for KLM and Air France in the 50's and 60's they also made watches for Ferrari and Jaguar, enjoying a reputation for quality pieces. Sterling Moss and other racing drivers also wore Marvins.

The watch was called the "Flying Dutchman" after the airliners than flew long distance for KLM.........

It's been serviced by Steve Burrage and keeps great time. It has a few scratches but it is over 50 years old! My camera is pretty crap and these pics fail to show up the interesting dial which has a star burst effect where the lines measure the minutes. These meet similar markings on the bezel that mark out the 5 minute segments. Sorry for the crap pictures as I only have an old 2m pixel camera!

Have set pics with an original advert for this watch from "Time" in 1954...........

The brand has recently been resurrected with a new line of watches....

Marvin.:.Home.-.Fine Swiss Watches Since 1850 - Luxury Swiss technology watch manufacturer

regards

tim

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That's a marvellous Marvin.:-!

That's all new to me - and a very nice presentation, thank you. The watch reminds me of some Eternas and even Polerouters. I think I want one now.:p

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Great post with the adverts and all. Thanks!

Now, how can a Dutchman be part of 'Nordic lore' ??

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This thread suggests that an interesting watch collection, consisting of official airline watches, is possible. I know that Sabena Airline's official watch was Onsa, and that Pan Am had several official watches, interesting.:think: I not personally interested, but I can see where obtaining the watches, and accumulating the supporting materials, could make for a nice little niche.:-!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it, is it a full steel case?
Yes with some nice polished edges to the upper side of the case which taper to meet the signed crown. I buy more vintage watches than I perhaps ought, but this one has really taken my fancy and is scarcely off my wrist at the moment.

regards

tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all i have a 18k gold marive flying duchman watch that was my grandfathers.can anyone tell me how much its worth?

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
hi all i have a 18k gold marive flying duchman watch that was my grandfathers.can anyone tell me how much its worth?
Welcome! We don't do valuations here (there is a post stuck in the top of the forum - a sticky - that says why).

It is always worth the gold value. Depending on condition, it may be worth a good bit more... And I am sure it is worth a service to keep it fit for your son!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts