Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seen masonic dials on roamer, longines , tissot , waltham , hamilton

any knows the story behind them?

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
They are sold to Masons. Masonic watches are a symbol of Masonry that can be worn anywhere. They have no official standing I believe.

I have seen old pocket watches with Masonic emblems so it has been going on for a while.

Ah, googling up freemason watches shows very few are made in China... that's strange. I wonder what THAT means? :-s :-d

·
Registered
93 Posts
Masonic pocket watches were quite popular during the late 19th C, but more modern quality brand watches are likely to be of Spanish/Potugese origin and are generally refinished dials (badly, I might add). It does make me cringe to see some beautiful vintage pieces with the added square & compasses - AND being offered for mint condition prices! Being a Mason myself, I'm more content to wear a (discreet) masonic signet ring and proudly wear my unblemished vintage pieces in their original glory!
Rant over - thank you! ;-)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Elco, hello. ;-)

Fireal, do you have any pictures of these watches with Masonic dials?
I have only seen really low quality chinese quartz watches and vintage pocket-watches with such symbols. A quick search for the brands you mentioned with masonic symbols yielded nothing.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't look hard enough and found a few images. Does anyone know whether they still produce some of these Masonic watches?

Thanks in advance!

Masonic pocket watches were quite popular during the late 19th C, but more modern quality brand watches are likely to be of Spanish/Potugese origin and are generally refinished dials (badly, I might add). It does make me cringe to see some beautiful vintage pieces with the added square & compasses - AND being offered for mint condition prices! Being a Mason myself, I'm more content to wear a (discreet) masonic signet ring and proudly wear my unblemished vintage pieces in their original glory!
Rant over - thank you! ;-)

·
Registered
83 Posts
There was a Gruen with a Masonic dial on Ebay last week or so. It looked alright, but I didnt trust it enough to bid. It was definately not a sbutle piece.
I would like to find a nice Masonic watch to go with my fob/chain just to make a set.
RipT

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elco, hello. ;-)

Fireal, do you have any pictures of these watches with Masonic dials?
I have only seen really low quality chinese quartz watches and vintage pocket-watches with such symbols. A quick search for the brands you mentioned with masonic symbols yielded nothing.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't look hard enough and found a few images. Does anyone know whether they still produce some of these Masonic watches?

Thanks in advance!

heres one with a masonic case n dial :-!

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190358992229&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Nice, that was one of the cool later real-deals. Have seen these as quartzes in the 80s.
Not a Mason, but intrigued by the symbology. Elgin was a big maker of early Masonic watches, having some sort of connection to them.
I got this interesting piece a month or so back. A recased Elgin masonic pocketwatch from 1926 into a displayback wristwatch. I was amazed to find such a high-caliber movement in this, originally thinking it was a weird Chinese assembly.
The purists tried to give me a hard time up here, but this was purposely and very well executed. Still trying to figure out who did it.
The case, strap, etc. were as new when I got it (at a very good price). Seller was completely mum when I prodded him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts