WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in part of a trade and am having trouble finding much information about it.

http://imgur.com/a/dGAdF

I know the movement is rare but most of the information I could find relates to high end watches that used this movement.The condition isn't great, but it runs and the chronograph functions work. The main second hand does occasionally stop/stutter which seems to be because the teeth of the two gears ocassionally missing contact. I would like to have it repaired or restored but, to be honest, it doesn't have sentimental value to me so I wouldnt want to put more into it then I could get out of it. I took it to two local watchmakers but one basically told me "Tissot's are junk so its probably worth about $50" and the other said he doesnt repair vintage watches. I don't expect to get an accurate valuation online but I just want to know if it's worth the $600-$1,200 it would take to restore. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
BTW, who told you it would cost 600-1200 to restore, and what exactly do they mean by "restore"? If the movement is working, then it just needs a good clean and service, and while chronographs will cost more to service then a simple time-only watch, I wouldn't normally expect to pay more then a few hundred for that. 600-1200 sounds like a quote from a Richemont AD. Which might also explain the ignorant "tissot are junk" comment.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Agree with all above, these square case chronographs are sought after. Since you mention that it functions except some imperfections, it may need just a service, COA- cleaning, oiling,adjusting.
Don't touch the dial and case, just movement service if you gonna wear it. If you are looking to sell it, just put it for sale as it is. Let the buyer go through service progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for all the responses! I used the $600-$1,200 because of an email response I got from a semi-local watchmaker, which he said $600 is his starting price for vintage watches. If it wasn't obvious already, I've got no experience with vintage watches but it defiantly makes sense to sell the watch as is and have the buyer make their decision on any sort of restoration. It sucks because I'm starting to love this little chrono but know that I'll never wear it because of its size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts