WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon; please accept my newb apologies for posting on an old thread but I saw the discussion of this watch. My father just gave me his old Citizen 6101-G00261. I think he got it in the '90s but am not sure. Anyway, I just put a battery and new band on and it runs fine.

My question is, the crown pushes in but I can't tell what this function this is supposed to provide (if any). The day and date are set independent of this so I'm clueless. Any insight is most welcome, and thank you.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Good afternoon; please accept my newb apologies for posting on an old thread but I saw the discussion of this watch. My father just gave me his old Citizen 6101-G00261. I think he got it in the '90s but am not sure. Anyway, I just put a battery and new band on and it runs fine.

My question is, the crown pushes in but I can't tell what this function this is supposed to provide (if any). The day and date are set independent of this so I'm clueless. Any insight is most welcome, and thank you.
Start a new thread. On second thought, don't. It's probably something acquired over time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start a new thread. On second thought, don't. It's probably something acquired over time
Thanks, I've since had it refurbished and is now in prime shape. Citizen Japan could tell me only that it's from 1987, the year I graduated high school and joined the Navy so that's a plus. The crown wasn't pushbutton but screw-down, a sealing mechanism I assume. Great watch, and it does look a very much like that Lorus someone just posted about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great work on here guys! Even though I've not posted, I've been following this thread since the show first came out. In fact, it was this watch that caught my eye and got me into the world of dive watches (I've always like watches, but never really "looked" at dive watches before the show). I still wonder though, if the watch was modified. It looks a lot like the Lorus RXN53BX8 listed above. From screen grabs, it really looks like the watch only has a date window, not day/date. And the hands appear to be mercedes style. Is there a Lorus that has both these features or was the watch modified?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
So the model is called Tidal and I could only find a single one on Ebay that was sold last year for 77 bucks. I can't seem to be able find more pictures of this model but it's a late 80's, early 90's watch. Everything matches - 60 numeral instead of lume dot on the bezel, cyclops at the date window, mercedes hands. I'm 99% sure this was the model Matthew wore in the show.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yeah that's the beauty of vintage watch hunting, you never know when you are going to stumble across the one you're looking for, it's half the fun. Me personally would have gladly paid $77 for it, that's for sure.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, taking a cue from SGQuint I contacted Lynda Reiss by email last week. She was the prop master for True Detective. The emails follow:

Me: "I hate to admit it but I have a serious infatuation with wristwatches. So, I need to ask, did you folks supply the wristwatch used by the character Rust Cohle in True Detective? If so can you tell me if it is for sale or trade. Was it a 1990s Lorus sport watch. It's a 109 degrees F here in southern Arizona today. I suppose the heat drives these passions and consequent silly questions. Best."

Lynda: "Yes I did provide that watch. I was the prop master on the show, and sorry, but no, it's not for sale. I's bloody hot in Atlanta right now too!"

Me: "Yes, hot in Atlanta and probably bloody humid. What kind of watch was used? I've looked at every image I can find but get nowhere as to the brand or circa. You have a great job!"

Lynda: "You were right, it was a mid 90's Lorus."

That ended my intrusion into her busy life. She has a website: Lynda's Prop Shop . If you go to her home page and click "Go here for US Prop Galleries" (look below the FaceBook symbol) then go to the bottom of that page (on SmugMug) you will see a category for "Watches" I believe that the watch we have been searching for is in this lot.

This lot in WATCHES AND JEWELERY

There are two watches side-by-side so it's either the 5th or 6th from the left. The watch in the show had a date magnifier (cyclops) so perhaps it was modified. Currently on eBay Is an older Lorus watch - here's a pic I swiped. It's pretty similar.

That's all I know.

Wow! Thank you for sharing with us!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hello, everyone! I just rewatched the season 1 and took some screenshots from some episode (I guess it's the 6th).

I noticed in the first time I watched, but it's really nice how Cohle wears the same watch throughout the years, as Marty keeps changing the watches depending the occasion — I guess this tells a lot about the characters… it really makes sense Cohle is wearing some cheap Lorus homage.

Human Sitting Screenshot

Conversation Sitting

Room Lecture Job Conversation

Job Spokesperson White-collar worker Public speaking

Job Spokesperson Public speaking

Conversation White-collar worker Job

Wrist Arm Watch Hand Fashion accessory

Watch Wrist Fashion accessory Strap Metal

Hand Watch Wrist Fashion accessory

141 - 153 of 153 Posts