WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I’m a newbie and I have fall in love with Maurice lacroix watch. I’m planning to get myself a ML watch from the masterpiece series and I have a few questions regarding this brand (their masterpiece collections) and hope you all can enlighten me ^^.

1. Does ML masterpiece collections consider a luxury/high end watches?
2. None of the ML lacroix masterpiece collections are COSC certified, does this mean that their quality are bad? Though I've read a lot of good articles about their in house movements. But how does this compare to a COSC certified watches?
3. What do you all think about this model, Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde (MP7068-SS001-390)? it’s quite an old model but I love the design.

Cheers,

Wendy

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I don't consider ML to be high end, and because I don't care too much about them my knowledge on their line of watches is slim.
In this bracket you might want a Consider the JLC master calendar or GO Senator Power Reserve display .
Good Luck !

Regards

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you like a particular watch -- I personally would not eliminate the purchase of that piece just because of whether or not it fits in the category of high end. I like some of the ML offerings and at some point may get one. I think fewer and fewer watches are COSC certified and also do not think this should be a major factor in your decision. Jorge's suggestions are also good choices-- but it is something you must like.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
ML's new Masterpiece watches are manufacture movements with very modern finishing and design. I would certainly call them a luxury watch, but they do not really compete with the traditional high-end watches usually discussed in this forum. But they are close.

Older Masterpiece watches use top-grade ETA movements and could not at all be considered high-end, though they are quite nicely made. I have a Masterpiece Phase de Lune Tonneau and it uses an ETA 2824 with a calendar module. I would call it a premium etablisseur piece, similar to many watches in the middle for figures and lower.

I would not make a decision based on whether people here think it is high-end, though. They are ver nice watches if the suit your taste.

Rick "who thinks ML is an interesting company" Denney

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does the masterpiece Cinq Aiguilles use an in-house movement? in the description it says ML159, but I couldn't find ML159 in the list of in-house movements on their website. Also, what would be a good discount for this brand? In grey market, they are going for 50% - 80%off for masterpiece collection and you know that they are still making a good profit from it. So is their profit margin 75%+??

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The Cinq Aiguilles uses, I believe, a Sellitta SW300 base movement, which is essentially an ETA 2892. If I'm mistaken, then it uses a 2892 itself. I have a pair of ML's and like them very much. The new Masterpiece line is all in house, if that's important to you, but if you like one of the older models, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

However, check the dimensions carefully--some of the ones that are more than a couple of years old, especially the complicated ones, are both pretty large diameter and pretty thick. Others are not--I have a Masterpiece Tradition GMT that is very nice, and (for me) a pretty much ideal size at 40mm x 12mm.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Cinq Aiguilles uses, I believe, a Sellitta SW300 base movement, which is essentially an ETA 2892. If I'm mistaken, then it uses a 2892 itself. I have a pair of ML's and like them very much. The new Masterpiece line is all in house, if that's important to you, but if you like one of the older models, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

However, check the dimensions carefully--some of the ones that are more than a couple of years old, especially the complicated ones, are both pretty large diameter and pretty thick. Others are not--I have a Masterpiece Tradition GMT that is very nice, and (for me) a pretty much ideal size at 40mm x 12mm.
So isn't the Cinq Aiguilles part of the masterpiece line? I know it uses a ML159, but i'm not sure if this is an in-house movement or a modified ETA

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
So isn't the Cinq Aiguilles part of the masterpiece line? I know it uses a ML159, but i'm not sure if this is an in-house movement or a modified ETA
it's a little confusing--there is the Masterpiece line, which is their most expensive and uses in house movements, and the Masterpiece Tradition line, which is less expensive and uses Sellitta movements. The ML159 is not an in house. I really wish companies would stop playing those games, where you have to research like crazy to find out what the movement really is. IMO there's absolutely no shame in using a quality sourced movement like ETA or Sellitta.

In any case, ML is a young company, but they seem to me to be pretty high quality, with some nice traditional designs, and some very original ones, too. I would love to get one of their Square Seconds models someday. Here's my GMT:

Maurice LeCroix GMT Medium.JPG

·
Registered
141 Posts
it's a little confusing--there is the Masterpiece line, which is their most expensive and uses in house movements, and the Masterpiece Tradition line, which is less expensive and uses Sellitta movements. The ML159 is not an in house. I really wish companies would stop playing those games, where you have to research like crazy to find out what the movement really is. IMO there's absolutely no shame in using a quality sourced movement like ETA or Sellitta.

In any case, ML is a young company, but they seem to me to be pretty high quality, with some nice traditional designs, and some very original ones, too. I would love to get one of their Square Seconds models someday. Here's my GMT:

View attachment 1543498
Nice watch! Yes, I completely agree, given how few reviews are available online about them, it's very hard to tell if they are good quality or not. I also would love to own a square second, but the price is just not competitive enough. For 10k you can get a JLC, rolex, Glashuttee Original and many more. That's why i'm very confused about their pricing strategy as well. In grey market, they are automatically marked down 50%+, this shows that the margin on these watches is prolly around 75%. I guess, if someone wanna sell me a roue carree seconde for $2500, i'll gladly take it.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Maurice Lacroix masterpiece collections compare to COSC watches, i need help ...

I guess, if someone wanna sell me a roue carree seconde for $2500, i'll gladly take it.
You and me both. :)

You are right, all of their Masterpiece line are at a price point with very tough, better-established competition. However, if you want a square seconds, no other brand has one...unique designs aren't a bad strategy for a newer brand. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Maurice Lacroix masterpiece collections compare to COSC watches, i need help ...

You and me both. :)

You are right, all of their Masterpiece line are at a price point with very tough, better-established competition. However, if you want a square seconds, no other brand has one...unique designs aren't a bad strategy for a newer brand. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, their designs are definitely unique and interesting. They also look very well made, but I would take a JLC 39 Moon or a GO Panomaticlunar over a square second any day.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Moved to public with 24h redirect.

·
Premium Member
7,673 Posts
I mention this only because I'm learning from this thread on GMTs. Technically that's a dual-time watch, not a GMT, since the second dial isn't a 24 hour scale, so it doesn't indicate AM/PM for the second time zone. And there's debate over whether or not a GMT has to have a rotating bezel too!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Won't consider ML high end.

I have not owned any of ML's in-house movement to be able to form any opinion on them but COSC certification is unnecessary, even Patek Phillippe has done away with COSC.

The MP7068-SS001-390 looks like a modified Unitas movement to me and not in-house. Also, the ML isn't something I would consider in the 3-4k range.

·
Registered
19,861 Posts
From what I've read, watches in ML's Masterpiece collection usually run better than COSC.

Things that need to be made clear is whether they regulate those watches for different temperatures and in 5 positions like COSC.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My only suggestion is to see the other brands as suggested above before buying the ML. If the ML look is what you like after considering others, then go for it. ML is a respectable brand and the lack of cosc should not mean bad timekeeping.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I mention this only because I'm learning from this thread on GMTs. Technically that's a dual-time watch, not a GMT, since the second dial isn't a 24 hour scale, so it doesn't indicate AM/PM for the second time zone. And there's debate over whether or not a GMT has to have a rotating bezel too!
Quite true; however, I was simply referring to the name of the watch (shorthand)--they call the model their Masterpiece Tradition GMT. So you'll have to take it up with ML. :)

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
JLC is not COSC, what do you think of them?
Exactly. ML makes classy pieces. Get it, you won't regret it. COSC is there just to show that it is tested. I am sure ML will easily run at COSC std or better

Reactions: slcbbrown
1 - 20 of 34 Posts