WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Maxi-dial

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Nalu 
#1 ·
How long before the regular sub comes out with a Maxi-dial?

Also, is there a difference in the bezel on the watches with the Maxi-dial?

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Bezel

#2 ·
Bezel, I don't know anything about regular subs having maxi-dials but I did notice something when I recently received my 50th anniversary Sub. The plastic bezel protector that came on the 50th anniv. doesn't fit my Sea-Dweller. The bezel protector is too big.

#3 ·
subkrawler thanks for the reply,

I really like the anniversary model with the green bezel...but after thinking about it I decided that a black bezel for me would be a better all-round color. Then there is the extra cost for the watch :-( ....

The problem is I Love the maxi-dial. If they don't come out with a regular Sub with a maxi-dial I guess I will be forced to buy an anniversary model.

I don't know for sure but I thought that there was some size difference between the Sud and Sea-Dweller dial so could there be a difference in the bezel size? :-s

I noticed in your list of watches you have a customized Sea-Dweller...what did you have customized?

Bezel

#4 ·
I really like the anniversary model with the green bezel...but after thinking about it I decided that a black bezel for me would be a better all-round color. Then there is the extra cost for the watch :-( ....
I know what you mean about the color...if I didn't already have the Sea-Dweller, then I would not have chosen the green bezel LV for my first Rolex diver. The LV is nice to wear on occassion but doesn't always fly for everyday, at least for me.

The problem is I Love the maxi-dial. If they don't come out with a regular Sub with a maxi-dial I guess I will be forced to buy an anniversary model.
One thing to consider...if they don't come out with a standard Sub w/ maxi-dial, you could possibly try to find a black bezel and have your watchmaker switch it out on the LV. That's what I did with my SD. My authorized Rolex watchmaker at the AD, was cool about doing the hand swap and said that if I ever needed to ship it back to Rolex for any reason, he would just change the hand back.

I don't know for sure but I thought that there was some size difference between the Sud and Sea-Dweller dial so could there be a difference in the bezel size? :-s
Maybe but I'm not sure. I was always under the impression that the only differences between the two were case, dial text and absence of a cyclops. I could be completely wrong though.

I noticed in your list of watches you have a customized Sea-Dweller...what did you have customized?
The customization is very mild. I had the rhodium second hand replaced with a red one from a Yacht-master. The rhodium hand kept blacking-out and disappearing when I was diving and trying to time deco stops. The red hand solved the problem and I think adds just enough color to an otherwise bland face.(The pic. is a little fuzzy but you get the idea)

#6 ·
That looks great with red second hand, just a subtle splash of colour but it makes all the difference, I love it.

Cheers

Sean
Thanks Sean. I wish Rolex would build them all this way...but then there's that thing about "tradition":-d

#10 ·
I believe the dial size on both the SD and Sub is 26-27mm, depending on the vintage. Simlilarly, the case widths are very close with the greater depth of the SD case being the most remarkable difference between the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.