WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo.... I am apparently allergic to all 17~ affordable's now as my nickel allergy has worsen and I am getting reaction to 316L.

I have no experience in these more expensive watch brands... what do I need to know? should I find a AD in the Los Angeles area?..buy used. (I am near LA)

How often do u have to service these and how much is it?

Anyways I am looking at the Tudor Pelagos as it is Titanium...which God willing should be fine?

I have some wife convincing to do before I could proceed and I'd have to liquidate my existing Seikos ..etc.. I haven't done the math but I'd be in the ballpark if I moved the other watches.
I think?

Sorry for any noobishnes certainly but curious on best buying experiences and running costs?

Anyway thank you in advance for any assistance...cheers.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The caseback and clasp of the Pelagos is 316Lsteel

Ah....well I guess u just saved me 4.5k~ or whatever.... Is the braclet itself Ti?..maybe I could get a different Ti clasp???.. shoot that is a bit of a bummer.

Well I am.glad to know this now and not later certainly..my wife would kill me if I got the Tudor and then was allergic to it also...=/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bracelet and case are Ti so you’ll only have contact dermatitis on the anterior and posterior portion of your wrist as opposed to a full ring

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to need one of those
Bracelet and case are Ti so you’ll only have contact dermatitis on the anterior and posterior portion of your wrist as opposed to a full ring

it would almost be worth it to get the back coated (DLC or ???) if a Ti MM300 clasp is the right size?? Posting photos of the Tutor with a Seiko clasp would be quite entertaining? .. but nah.. I'm not going to spend this much on a watch I'm going to have to mess with to wear without allergy issues...

oh well... back to the drawing board... So Grand Seiko Ti maybe??

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ah....well I guess u just saved me 4.5k~ or whatever.... Is the braclet itself Ti?..maybe I could get a different Ti clasp???.. shoot that is a bit of a bummer.

Well I am.glad to know this now and not later certainly..my wife would kill me if I got the Tudor and then was allergic to it also...=/
The rubber strap has a ti buckle. The bracelet itself is ti, I'm not sure whether the whole clasp is stainless or if it's just the machined elements. The underside that actually contacts your skin may be ti, it feels very light to me. It would be worth asking them on Facebook or something. The case back would be really easy to cover with a sticker and of course the lugs are ti.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Throwing a curve ball here….

How about the BB58 925? Not sure how much nickel is in the silver alloy but it might work good?

I do have a Panerai Luminir Titanic where everything is made of titanium but then that’s probably over the budget.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If he has problems with the nickel content of 316 then the 904 will be brutal.
yeah I have heard from others with nickel allergies that 904 is more problematic... so yeah, that is probably out.

Ditto on the Snowflake. Titanium case and bracelet plus the visible caseback. Here is my with leather strap.

View attachment 15890293

View attachment 15890296

Also recommend titanium watches from Citizen, they should be fine as well.
That is a nice looking watch, I generally prefer diver's watches but that is quite nice..thanx for the additional information and pics.. very neat watch.

Scurfa has some titanium offerings. Not sure if the casebacks are titanium.
I **think the titanium scurfa was a LE and is sold out? I looked at it yesterday but they only made 100 of them and sold them all it seems.. not entirely clear if the caseback is Ti either? Micro brands drive me crazy like this... every time I see one I like it sold out before I ever heard / thought about it.. oh well.

Throwing a curve ball here….

How about the BB58 925? Not sure how much nickel is in the silver alloy but it might work good?

I do have a Panerai Luminir Titanic where everything is made of titanium but then that’s probably over the budget.
That BB58 is Interesting.. I will look into this and try to figure out if the Silver alloy would be suiteable for my requirements, that could work if I'm not allergic to it ..... Probably have to pass on the Panerai for now however =p

While certainly not quite as fine horology as y'all are probably use to around here? I was being driven quite batty by not having a watch, I tried to BBQ tonight so much harder to time stuff.. whatever I ordered this as a Stop gap (and because I like it, and my wife won't murder me for spending $380~ or so on it..)

Citizen NY0100-50XE *(citizen says the bracelet and strap are Ti) figure at least I'll at least have a watch to wear till I figure out what else to do?

Thank you everyone for the information and suggestions... I really appreciate the information / help

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
30,774 Posts
yeah I have heard from others with nickel allergies that 904 is more problematic... so yeah, that is probably out.

That is a nice looking watch, I generally prefer diver's watches but that is quite nice..thanx for the additional information and pics.. very neat watch.

I **think the titanium scurfa was a LE and is sold out? I looked at it yesterday but they only made 100 of them and sold them all it seems.. not entirely clear if the caseback is Ti either? Micro brands drive me crazy like this... every time I see one I like it sold out before I ever heard / thought about it.. oh well.

That BB58 is Interesting.. I will look into this and try to figure out if the Silver alloy would be suiteable for my requirements, that could work if I'm not allergic to it ..... Probably have to pass on the Panerai for now however =p

While certainly not quite as fine horology as y'all are probably use to around here? I was being driven quite batty by not having a watch, I tried to BBQ tonight so much harder to time stuff.. whatever I ordered this as a Stop gap (and because I like it, and my wife won't murder me for spending $380~ or so on it..)

Citizen NY0100-50XE *(citizen says the bracelet and strap are Ti) figure at least I'll at least have a watch to wear till I figure out what else to do?
View attachment 15890373

Thank you everyone for the information and suggestions... I really appreciate the information / help

Cheers.
Scurfa sometimes have ti versions that are not limited. As to caseback, ask Paul direct or several of the scurfa guys.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder if anyone can tell me if there is nickel in this BB58 925?

Tudor proudly stated that its alloy of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other/classified metals, would not corrode in any way for the next one million years.
if that 7.5% other metals include nickel I may be outta luck... going to call the Tudor AD and ask them I guess?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Pelagos bracelet is Ti and the clasp is as well other than the springs on the interior of the clasp that are part of the freely “adjustable” setting. The only thing you’d really have to worry about is the screw down caseback.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Other choices could be Zenith Defy ceramic (pre-owned), Longines and Rado full ceramic watches. Or Tudor Fast Rider Black Shield also ceramic (not the clasp though).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts