WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Someone posted it before. Everyone roasted it and the thread kind of died. On my phone or I'd dig up a link.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Bloody hell.... Just when you think you've seen it all and nobody can get dumber, they go and top it.

This is in description....
Some of the best watches in the world such as; Blancpain, Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, all have something in common, the original watchmakers name is on the dial. Personally I like this, as it means that watchmaker was proud of his work and signed it after. Anyone can think up a random name and print it on the dial, but it isn't the same as a watchmaker signing it and being proud of his work. My name is McManus, so my watches have my name on the dial; simple as that. The model name; Amphibia came from the vintage 1960's tonneau dive watches that inspired this one. So I thought the McManus Amphibia made sense.

I mean I know that F71 is all embracing, tolerant and homage-loving. But there have to be limits. This McAnus literally took a $50 Vostok, swapped a dial and wants to charge $430 for it.
I don't know if he got balls, is on drugs, or just plain delusional. The scary thing - some idiots wil buy this on kickstarter.

And it's 100% Irish built don't you know. By an authentic Irish man, and he only had 4 Guiness and 5 Jameson before he swapped the dial... I mean built this watch.

No lies, no secrets, where are all the parts from?
-31 jewel automatic movement-Russia
-glass caseback-Russia
-crown, crown tube, stem-Russia
-tonneau watch case-Russia
-hands-Russia
-bezel-Russia
-domed lucite crystal-Russia
-O-rings-Russia
-dial-Russia
-dial printing-America
-Super Engineer bracelet-China
-solid wood watch box-China
-Watch built in Ireland by myself (not subcontracted to a factory)

And the best part - the Vostok movement has same # of jewels as Rolex Submariner and more than most Swiss movts. Move over Ginault and Steinhart and everyone else - this drunken bastard got 31 jewel movt. Winning!

The Russian made 31 jewel movement in the McManus Amphibia has more jewels than excellent ETA and Sellita Swiss movements fitted to more expensive watches. When it comes to automatic movements, the more jewels the better. You are getting the same number of 31 jewels as a Rolex Submariner.

Aghhhhhhhh! Sh*te like this is what makes me salty and bitter and overall disillusioned with humanity.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
"I chose Garamond font as its the same one used by Rolex."

LOL. Rolex doesn't use Garamond I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
You'd think Kickstarter would step in on something as blatant as this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've backed a few things on KS, only one watch, but ive always done my homework before doing so.

The watch I backed is Meridiem GMT, which is the third watch they've done on KS. But they also have a legit business in Hong Kong where they sell other watches as well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
You'd think Kickstarter would step in on something as blatant as this.
Because crowd sourcing websites have such high standards? They are Libertarian paradises, where the market decides your fate, and regulations are minimal.

What has this guy done that's illegal? If instead, he had sourced a catalog watch from Shenzhen, China, and merely added his name or logo, how is that any different? The Haldor Abissi is just a Nakzen SS9049G 1000M diver with different branding.
Haldor-Abissi-1000M-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg 9049-3.png

"The Slovenian-based Haldor Watch company got their start on the crowdfunding site Indiegogo with the goal of creating a high-spec dive watch for as low of a price as possible. They met and exceeded their funding goal, and were able to produce their Abissi diver and deliver it to their backers. The Haldor Abissi retails now for about 600 Euros for those outside of the EU, which translates to about $637 for those of us in the States, and for that coin you get a whole lot of watch (literally and figuratively)."
~Worn and Wound review

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Bloody hell.... Just when you think you've seen it all and nobody can get dumber, they go and top it.

This is in description....
Some of the best watches in the world such as; Blancpain, Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, all have something in common, the original watchmakers name is on the dial. Personally I like this, as it means that watchmaker was proud of his work and signed it after. Anyone can think up a random name and print it on the dial, but it isn't the same as a watchmaker signing it and being proud of his work. My name is McManus, so my watches have my name on the dial; simple as that. The model name; Amphibia came from the vintage 1960's tonneau dive watches that inspired this one. So I thought the McManus Amphibia made sense.

I mean I know that F71 is all embracing, tolerant and homage-loving. But there have to be limits. This McAnus literally took a $50 Vostok, swapped a dial and wants to charge $430 for it.
I don't know if he got balls, is on drugs, or just plain delusional. The scary thing - some idiots wil buy this on kickstarter.

And it's 100% Irish built don't you know. By an authentic Irish man, and he only had 4 Guiness and 5 Jameson before he swapped the dial... I mean built this watch.

No lies, no secrets, where are all the parts from?
-31 jewel automatic movement-Russia
-glass caseback-Russia
-crown, crown tube, stem-Russia
-tonneau watch case-Russia
-hands-Russia
-bezel-Russia
-domed lucite crystal-Russia
-O-rings-Russia
-dial-Russia
-dial printing-America
-Super Engineer bracelet-China
-solid wood watch box-China
-Watch built in Ireland by myself (not subcontracted to a factory)

And the best part - the Vostok movement has same # of jewels as Rolex Submariner and more than most Swiss movts. Move over Ginault and Steinhart and everyone else - this drunken bastard got 31 jewel movt. Winning!

The Russian made 31 jewel movement in the McManus Amphibia has more jewels than excellent ETA and Sellita Swiss movements fitted to more expensive watches. When it comes to automatic movements, the more jewels the better. You are getting the same number of 31 jewels as a Rolex Submariner.

Aghhhhhhhh! Sh*te like this is what makes me salty and bitter and overall disillusioned with humanity.
I created a kickstarter login just to give this b#stard a piece of my mind. He is pure trash

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Health and Safety warning
This watch has serious heft, so wearing it daily may cause the kind of muscle imbalance typically seen in left-handed professional tennis players.

:)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Well, I should think they will have much success. A fool and his money are easily parted, and there are so many fools around.

Reactions: MrCairo

·
Banned
13 Posts
AM Watches have been doing the same thing for many years; rebranding Vostok's as the AM Diver and selling them on Ebay.
So what is the difference?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts