WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Because crowd sourcing websites have such high standards? They are Libertarian paradises, where the market decides your fate, and regulations are minimal.

What has this guy done that's illegal? If instead, he had sourced a catalog watch from Shenzhen, China, and merely added his name or logo, how is that any different? The Haldor Abissi is just a Nakzen SS9049G 1000M diver with different branding.

"The Slovenian-based Haldor Watch company got their start on the crowdfunding site Indiegogo with the goal of creating a high-spec dive watch for as low of a price as possible. They met and exceeded their funding goal, and were able to produce their Abissi diver and deliver it to their backers. The Haldor Abissi retails now for about 600 Euros for those outside of the EU, which translates to about $637 for those of us in the States, and for that coin you get a whole lot of watch (literally and figuratively)."
~Worn and Wound review

This implies are very interesting point...

If watch blogs (like worn&wound etc.) aren't able to do even minimum research and warn readers about this rip-off, then what good are they? What's the point of watch media outlets if all they do is parrot press releases?

·
Banned
13 Posts

If watch blogs (like worn&wound etc.) aren't able to do even minimum research and warn readers about this rip-off, then what good are they? What's the point of watch media outlets if all they do is parrot press releases?
Watch reviewers are often paid, or given a free watch; in return they give a favourable review (and overlook such things). That is the way the business works in reality. Negative review, and no free watch, Simple.

·
Registered
724 Posts
AM Watches have been doing the same thing for many years; rebranding Vostok's as the AM Diver and selling them on Ebay.
So what is the difference?
Personally I like what you do; your customizations look good and pricing seems honest. I think one day I will get one.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Banned
13 Posts
One only has to watch some of TGV's (The Urban Gentry) Youtube channel to see bias in his (sponsored) reviews. Blatant NTH and Squale bias, with no negatives whatsoever.
I think most people can see a blog or review for what it is; one man's personal opinion on a watch. People get influenced, that's the deal.
Kickstarter is full of catalogue Chinese made watches, and rebranded ones such as the Haldor Abissi. And why doesn't Kickstarter do something about it?
Well they take their 5% cut for every successfully funded campaign. Why reduce your own revenue stream? It suits them to have many funded campaigns.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Personally I like what you do; your customizations look good and pricing seems honest. I think one day I will get one.

Just to clarify, I am not AM Watches and have no affiliation with them. Personally I don't like their watches to be honest. But then again I don't like Vostok or McManus ones either.
I just picked the username, as I think it's funny how people talk about rebranded watches on Kickstarter are a new thing, or something shocking. Everyone knows a Vostok when they see one.
If someone wants to pay more for a AM Diver or McManus branded Vostok they will. Personal choice. I wouldn't personally, but each to their own.
See the pictures below. Seiko Turtle/Merkur turtle. I really don't see what the problem is? No one things their Merkur Turtle is made in Japan by Seiko. So no one is getting fooled here.
View attachment 12882873 View attachment 12882875

·
Banned
13 Posts
And this is why people don't like Kickstarter. Funniest thing I've seen in a while...
Agreed. I think Indiegogo has more credibility. Well they certainly seem to police it better anyway, with less scampaigns it seems.
Ironically Kickstarter are meant to have strictly controls on campaigns than Indiegogo, but what I see is the reverse.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Kickstarter is full of catalogue Chinese made watches, and rebranded ones such as the Haldor Abissi.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Nakzen is one of the three, in-house brands of the Shenzhen Meigeer Watch Company, along with Megir and Ruimas. The Nakzen SS9049G is just a catalog piece, and I don't think it's ever been sold retail under the Nakzen brand. The company sells a ton of Megir watches, but is also a large OEM manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
This would be a hoot. Except it's really con and a bit depressing. Redialing or even rebranding catalogue watches for that matter, is fine as long as you're one hundred percent upfront about what you're doing.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Nakzen is one of the three, in-house brands of the Shenzhen Meigeer Watch Company, along with Megir and Ruimas. The Nakzen SS9049G is just a catalog piece, and I don't think it's ever been sold retail under the Nakzen brand. The company sells a ton of Megir watches, but is also a large OEM manufacturer.
Thank you for the explanation. Apologies, it was my mistake saying rebranded Haldor, when in fact it I should have said rebranded Nakzen.
With regard to rebranded watches, why stop at the dial; why not rebrand that Swiss movement made in China too?
See Hamtun's latest offering, the Neon. Currently £50,000+ backed by 170 on Kickstarter.
The Hamtun Neon. Swiss movement. Britis design. Made in China. Kickstarters finest hour.
Ross could have at least photoshopped the caseback error for his press releases.
View attachment 12882991

·
Banned
13 Posts
Because crowd sourcing websites have such high standards? They are Libertarian paradises, where the market decides your fate, and regulations are minimal.

What has this guy done that's illegal? If instead, he had sourced a catalog watch from Shenzhen, China, and merely added his name or logo, how is that any different? The Haldor Abissi is just a Nakzen SS9049G 1000M diver with different branding.

"The Slovenian-based Haldor Watch company got their start on the crowdfunding site Indiegogo with the goal of creating a high-spec dive watch for as low of a price as possible. They met and exceeded their funding goal, and were able to produce their Abissi diver and deliver it to their backers. The Haldor Abissi retails now for about 600 Euros for those outside of the EU, which translates to about $637 for those of us in the States, and for that coin you get a whole lot of watch (literally and figuratively)."
~Worn and Wound review
The Swiss Made on the Haldor dial made me laugh. Shenzen is in Switzerland now is it? OK Haldor.

·
Registered
683 Posts

I was thinking the exact same thing, appalling superficiality on their part

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
This would be a hoot. Except it's really con and a bit depressing. Redialing or even rebranding catalogue watches for that matter, is fine as long as you're one hundred percent upfront about what you're doing.
Personally this was my thoughts as well. I get that it’s a case with a rebranded dial and micro watches have done this in the past. My issue has more to do with the asking price vs a Vostok Amphibian. Best of luck to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
You know Kickstarter is getting bad when even microbrands are copying each other.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tch?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=hamtun

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ref=nav_search&result=project&term=dive watch

Worse still, Ross is going to be re-launching this H1/San Diego titanium catalogue case in February.
To be fair, a lot of these Chinese manufacturers sell the designs and offer them up in their catalogues once they have the tooling for them.

Reactions: JakeJD

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just to clarify, I am not AM Watches and have no affiliation with them. Personally I don't like their watches to be honest. But then again I don't like Vostok or McManus ones either.
I just picked the username, as I think it's funny how people talk about rebranded watches on Kickstarter are a new thing, or something shocking. Everyone knows a Vostok when they see one.
If someone wants to pay more for a AM Diver or McManus branded Vostok they will. Personal choice. I wouldn't personally, but each to their own.
See the pictures below. Seiko Turtle/Merkur turtle. I really don't see what the problem is? No one things their Merkur Turtle is made in Japan by Seiko. So no one is getting fooled here.
View attachment 12882873 View attachment 12882875
Oh. I think your username is very deceiving.
Yet I have to say that I see quite a lot of difference between AM Diver McManus.

AM Diver customizes Vostok watches offering a great deal of variants for a little extra money. To me it's a nice option If you don't want to fiddle with customizing the watch yourself.

Our friend here offers little customization for 3x the price. Without clearly mentioning what he is doing. AND on top of that he claims that Vostok movements are just as good as Rolex ones because they have the same amount of jewels, attempting to deceive people.
One may dislike customized watches altogether, but there is still a clear distinction IMHO.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
My real problem with this is the presentation.

He's redialing watches, swapping out the bezel, adding a bracelet, and upcharging for his labor and, shall we say, "curated" additions. I don't have any problem at all with that. I don't actually doubt that his dials and bezels are nicer than the stock Amphibia (although I'm not convinced that bracelet is anything but Ali Express junk). This isn't any different than what yobokies does if you buy a modded Seiko from him -- although he doesn't typically put his own brand prominently on the dial. Or any number of other modders out there. If he can get 350 Euros for that, good for him. He's probably not clearing a huge profit, factoring the time for his labor.

The problem is making a bigger deal about that effort and curation in order to call the watch something "new," or much higher quality than its original form (suddenly a Vostok has a better movement than a Rolex?), or something that it's not. This isn't a McManus watch because that's what the dial says and he put a different bezel on it. It's still just a Vostok. He even appears to be using stock hands. It's not an "Irish" watch in any way. He's not "launching a brand" or product line. This isn't what Kickstarter is for. He could probably make 75% of the same claims and sell it on Etsy (like AM Watches) and I wouldn't have a problem at all. Except the laughable price, but that's not exactly a unique sin.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts