WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide ARDESIA PVD

MECCANICHE VENEZIANE NEREIDE IN REVIEW

I read a lot of reviews but this is my first try in reviewing a watch. Those popular mainstream watches will have a lot of reviews going for them. I will review an unheard of watch brand based in Italy. The brand is called Meccaniche Veneziane. My command of English language is not the best so my review will be a lot more succinct than what would you normally find and hopefully you will understand what I'm trying to convey but gonna give it a go…
p.s. photos taken from iphone 6. So I don't have macro shots.

Background (directly taken from their website without paraphrasing):
Meccaniche Veneziane is the first Italian Watch Company to produce high-end automatic handmade timepieces. The brand offers high-end watches with timeless design, each component is handmade by skilled artisans and proudly designed in Venice. Every Meccaniche Veneziane owner looks for perfection and beauty in every detail as every timepiece is designed to be an heirloom to be passed down to the next generation. All MV watches are handcrafted by skilled artisans with absolute accuracy for every detail according to the traditional features of the twentieth century. We pay great attention to details, this result has been possible thanks to the cooperation with experienced watch manufacturers that have produced luxury watches for notorious brands. All the stages of the process aim at removing even the smallest imperfection. Once the assembly process is concluded, watches pass through the quality control department here in Venice, where all the components are inspected.

Watch Specs from the website:
· Case Size: 42mm
· Screwed down crown
· Domed Sapphire Crystal with AR coating
· 120 clicks enamelled aluminium unidirectional bezel
· Cal MV044 (Base Miyota 821A movement)
· 316L Stainless Steel Case
· Lug Width: 22.00 mm
· Water Resistance: 200 meters
· Real vintage leather handmade Made in Italy
· Swiss Made Superluminova applied to indices, hands and bezel pip.
· Exhibition screwed caseback with custom brass rotor
· Walnut natural box Made in Italy

Box
A very nice touch using a walnut wood box. I liked it because I'm always like natural stuff so a wooden case I would appreciate a lot. It came with additional silicone strap for those who use it to dive.

Vintage Leather Strap

I am a big fan of leather straps but I don't own many because good quality ones can be very expensive affair. Based on my limited experience I would say it is very good quality and soft out of the box and do not need break-in period. Furthermore it has that nice rustic suede feel to it that complements the watch case very well.

Dial, Lume & Hands
The dial on the Nereide is matt and looks stunning. It's not pure black under sunlight but more towards dark grey vintage look to it. The lume is adequate in this aspect due to vintage inspired watch not a deal breaker for me.
I have grown to appreciate gold hands and indices more and more these days. According to the brand owner, the diamond cut indices are hand applied and they are very nice. Overall dial has the right amount of gold without making it too over-the-top.

Crown & Bezel
The crown is right sized smooth without feeling gritty. I like the bezel action firm and precise abit like my Aquis. The enamelled aluminium bezel is has that glossy sheen to it to make the overall watch more outstanding.

Case
It's brushed all over. According to the owner, the watch case is hand brushed. It's beautifully finished.
I won't write much about the movement because I'm not an expert and my expectation for an automatic movement is quite low. As long as its Japanese or swiss automatic movement I'm happy with it regardless of grade. No offense to China made movement but because in this part of the world I live in I can't get spare parts and watch technician just refuse to repair it.

Conclusion
I used to buy and flip watches a lot during my heydays. But now I've mellowed tremendously and buy less but not totally out. I've grown to buy less but appreciate a watch for a longer period of time…like wine must slowly enjoy the experience rather than bottoms up all the time.
I can tell you that this one is a keeper. Homages no longer appeals to me. This is a simple and yet elegant nod to vintage style dive watch. Excellent work, MV.

I am not going to put the link here as I'm not here to sell you a watch just sharing and shout out for the small brand. Google is your good friend if you want to know more.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have been buying a lot of micro brands for the past few years, some from Kickstarter and some I have followed for a while and wanted to see how well they do before buying one.
I bought a Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide Ardesia PVD, asides from the very long name I was impressed with the design and the PVD look, did some reading on the product and one late evening I pulled the trigger and bought one. It took 4 month to get it, once it arrived I usually wear the watch for 3 weeks straight, like a kid with a new toy. I turned the bezel a few times and noticed it was very stiff and it does not lock into the notch position easily there is some play a click or two back and fourth. I thought i should give it some time to loosen up , and it didn't , I requested from the online dealer I bought the watch from to look into it. He offeed to take the watch back and try it out himself, the watch was shipped back last May I did not hear back from him until late July, apparentlly he was sick and his girlfriend was sick and he just received the replacement for my watch that he will send me. A couple of days later, they were not going to exchange the watch since the bezel behaved the same way on both watches and it is within spec. not sure who's spec they are using but none of my divers have such play, not Squale or Gruppo Gamma, Seike SNZH57, CW , Omega, Tudor etc. The dealer also mentioned there is a small scratch on the PVD on the lugs and therfore they can not warranty the watch ( not sure why it took 3 month to notice) .How do they expect watches to be worn and not have any scartches.

I reached out to Meccaniche Veneziane and explaind the situation, they said this is the dealers responsibility and the dealer will contact me I have been waiting for a couple of weeks now I left him a Voice mail and an email and still no response. The last Kickstarter campaign they lanched the GMT which looks quite nice and they have sold over 800 watches in a couple of days. However after their sales support is none existant and I beleive the product is not 100% if you find something not done right and their bezel is their achilles heel they should correct the problem and make sure their customers are happy I was abot to buy their GMT on kickstarter but I bought something else instaed and I beleive I am much happier.

If anyone has issues with their Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide bezels please do not hesitate to share your openion.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

I have been buying a lot of micro brands for the past few years, some from Kickstarter and some I have followed for a while and wanted to see how well they do before buying one.
I bought a Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide Ardesia PVD, asides from the very long name I was impressed with the design and the PVD look, did some reading on the product and one late evening I pulled the trigger and bought one. It took 4 month to get it, once it arrived I usually wear the watch for 3 weeks straight, like a kid with a new toy. I turned the bezel a few times and noticed it was very stiff and it does not lock into the notch position easily there is some play a click or two back and fourth. I thought i should give it some time to loosen up , and it didn't , I requested from the online dealer I bought the watch from to look into it. He offeed to take the watch back and try it out himself, the watch was shipped back last May I did not hear back from him until late July, apparentlly he was sick and his girlfriend was sick and he just received the replacement for my watch that he will send me. A couple of days later, they were not going to exchange the watch since the bezel behaved the same way on both watches and it is within spec. not sure who's spec they are using but none of my divers have such play, not Squale or Gruppo Gamma, Seike SNZH57, CW , Omega, Tudor etc. The dealer also mentioned there is a small scratch on the PVD on the lugs and therfore they can not warranty the watch ( not sure why it took 3 month to notice) .How do they expect watches to be worn and not have any scartches.

I reached out to Meccaniche Veneziane and explaind the situation, they said this is the dealers responsibility and the dealer will contact me I have been waiting for a couple of weeks now I left him a Voice mail and an email and still no response. The last Kickstarter campaign they lanched the GMT which looks quite nice and they have sold over 800 watches in a couple of days. However after their sales support is none existant and I beleive the product is not 100% if you find something not done right and their bezel is their achilles heel they should correct the problem and make sure their customers are happy I was abot to buy their GMT on kickstarter but I bought something else instaed and I beleive I am much happier.

If anyone has issues with their Meccaniche Veneziane Nereide bezels please do not hesitate to share your openion.
I have backed the KS campaign for the Nereide GMT, looking forward to receiving it and giving a honest review

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have the Nereide and am positive this carries the cl888 movement which is basically a seagull st16, i have had the watch a week and already the second hand stutters from 12-6 marker, i am getting the watch replaced tomorrow by the dealer, i paid a reasonable amount of money for the watch and i am impressed with the dial case etc, i have no bezel issues,i hope the replacement watch will be ok because i like the design, although i have considered maybe getting something different as a replacement. I also have a redentore which is a fine watch and had no issues whatsoever. I dont think M.V use the seagull anymore as the subsequent models have all been eta based

·
Registered
1 Posts
My watch has been sent back for over a month because the gmt hand was misaligned! I had to fight to have them fix it for me. They were shunning me away with 50 euros to fix it locally. Now I'm without the watch and no answer from Roberto or Alessandro the owner.

Not very impressed

Your bezel is misaligned just like mine on My Black Nereida. Also I have a 285 movement and somehow it is not decorated. Do I have the only non-decorated movement with a crystal caseback? What's up with their quality control All that being said it is still a stunningly beautiful watch and keeps great time +4 sec a day. No way am I sending this watch back to them. I will never get it back or my money.[/QUOTE]

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.