WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on good mech pencil brands? I'd like something stout. .5 or .7. Preferably with a *retracting tip" for pocket carry.

Presently enjoying a Kuru Toga. Nice pencil but not so good for shirt pocket carry.

Thoughts? (Rotrings are hard to find and too pricey. ) Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like pilot s20, pentel graphgear, pentel p205, rotring 500. Parkers are nice too
pilot s20

graphgear:

parker urban:

pentel graph 1000:

pentel smash:

pentel pg5:

rotring 500:

Lamy

faber castell

Staedtler:

IMO bang for buck, you can't beat pentel and pilot mechanical pencils.
Rotrings are a bit too heavy and pricey. Heard very good things about Lamy and Faber Castell (both german) but haven't owned it

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are awesome.

I got two drafting pencils today. Made by Helix. They are ok and have the look abd feel I wanted (sans the retractable tip).

But for the cost of a few lattes... not bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like that Pentel Smash! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Using pencils is kind if a loss art where I work. I still have a ton of the vanilla Pentels in 0.5 and 0.7 and perhaps one more that I never have a chance to use. Of course, I'll never get rid of them, but it keeps me from looking for different pencils! ;-)

Dan

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not am engineer but I wotk with lots. Many of them like the pencils kind of a "badge of honor". So I got yo using them as well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think pentel graphgear 1000 would be perfect for you. Full aluminum body design + best retractable tip i've seen. A little unconventional design but quality is there. I prefer the 0.5mm (black) more than the 0.7mm (blue). I got mine from amazon for $12 few months ago.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
IMO bang for buck, you can't beat pentel and pilot mechanical pencils.
Rotrings are a bit too heavy and pricey. Heard very good things about Lamy and Faber Castell (both german) but haven't owned it
I'm using the Faber Castell Twice Multifunction Polished Chrome and so far very good, except now the mechanical pencil part if add a little pressure to it, lead retracts. So I presume the 'gripping' part is not too good already.

Multifunction (Twice/Trio)

Reactions: Jeff_C

·
Registered
262 Posts
For mechanical pencils, I use Uniball Kurutoga series: Standard, Roulette, Rubber Grip, and Alpha Gel. I use them for their auto rotation mechanical engine. The best so far for writing, sketching, drawing, and rendering.

The other is old 782 Mars Technico Staedtler 1978, I got lucky to find 3pcs in NOS condition. And the result for sketching and rendering is really amazing, you can't beat the original German quality.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've never used them, but check out the TWSBI pencils. Look solid and they have a good reputation...I have one of their earlier fountain pens and love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A rOtring 800 would be a really good option. It's got everything excellent that makes the aforementioned rOtring 500 nice but has a fully retractable tip and has a machined aluminum (I think, but all the parts are definitely metal) body. uploadfromtaptalk1457202462073.jpg
EDIT: whoops didn't read the last part specifically about rOtrings. Try the pilot graphgear 1000, extremely similar in function but you can find them for like 20 bucks on Amazon. Also a metal body with a retractable tip.
Happy hunting :)

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts