WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Closest I can think of is the SARB033, but that's not titanium and not current range. It's also a bit smaller, not especially thin, has mediocre lume, and an average bracelet.

Perhaps there is a SARX model that fits the bill better... SARX045 maybe?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Can think of a few but nothing at that price point....The Boldr Venture maybe (38mm titanium, Seiko movement) but no bracelet and the finishing isn't even close. Hamilton Khaki Ti (42mm) is another but again no bracelet and finishing is just OK. Stienharts Ocean one Ti is another that comes close in terms of value but it's a Diver.

Citizen Attessa is the S100's closest rival but it's quartz.

Be interesting to see what others come up with (if any)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
There's a newish Citizen (NJ2180-89H) that's under $500, haven't seen one in person but I doubt the finishing would match the Casio.

images (2)_1589238220217.jpeg

Certina used to do a DS-1 in titanium but is now out of production, list price was closer to $1K.

images (4)_1589238378506.jpeg

I went with a used SARX057 (still over budget).

IMG_20200419_102718_resize_39~2_1589238426311.jpg

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
as far as i feel there is no mechanical rival the techonolgy involved is a huge part of the draw. that being said if you just want the looks i think the zenith defy comes closest.
A curious sight in the Affordables forum, but nonetheless one of my most admired three-hand watches.

I love the Defy, but I already have a T200. The T200 is a better quartz watch than the Defy is a mechanical watch, and the looks are too similar. So no Defy for me. :-(

(Though to be realistic, I had plenty of time to buy a Defy before the T200 ever became available, and I didn't. Love it, but not enough.)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Similar but different, the SARB033 is the watch that left my collection to make way for the Oceanus S100.

Why were they rivals?

They're both well made, well proportioned, black dialed watches that could be an everyday watch but lean a little towards the dressy side for me. So for me they would be directly competing for wrist time as a dark dialed office watch.

I like them both, the dial and hands are much nicer on the Seiko, the bracelet is much nicer on the Casio.

Why did the Casio win?

Partly because the movement is interesting and unique in my collection, partly because the Casio just suits me better. The Seiko looks better in the watch box but the Casio looks better on my wrist, and I know what's more important to me.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Similar look and cost (if you waited for the sale). But the Casio Oceanus is unique technology so it's really apples/oranges....
Love those Citizen Signature series, but they're all stainless steel aren't they? OP is looking for titanium options.

Similar but different, the SARB033 is the watch that left my collection to make way for the Oceanus S100.

Why were they rivals?

They're both well made, well proportioned, black dialed watches that could be an everyday watch but lean a little towards the dressy side for me. So for me they would be directly competing for wrist time as a dark dialed office watch.

I like them both, the dial and hands are much nicer on the Seiko, the bracelet is much nicer on the Casio.

Why did the Casio win?

Partly because the movement is interesting and unique in my collection, partly because the Casio just suits me better. The Seiko looks better in the watch box but the Casio looks better on my wrist, and I know what's more important to me.
Another fine rival, but wrong alloy 🙂

I was in a similar situation, but went with Seiko, but the SARX057 rather than a SARB. Have been trying to keep my collection small, so when I picked up a gently used Seiko I decided to flip the Casio. Hard to call them rivals as there are so many differences, but I settled on the Seiko as I didn't want two black dialed sports watches and my small collection was getting a little quartz heavy at that stage.

So far it doesn't look like there are any mechanical rivals at the same price point IMO. I might be biased but I'd say the SARX is a "better" watch, but it does retail at twice the price!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love those Citizen Signature series, but they're all stainless steel aren't they? OP is looking for titanium options.

Another fine rival, but wrong alloy ��

I was in a similar situation, but went with Seiko, but the SARX057 rather than a SARB. Have been trying to keep my collection small, so when I picked up a gently used Seiko I decided to flip the Casio. Hard to call them rivals as there are so many differences, but I settled on the Seiko as I didn't want two black dialed sports watches and my small collection was getting a little quartz heavy at that stage.

So far it doesn't look like there are any mechanical rivals at the same price point IMO. I might be biased but I'd say the SARX is a "better" watch, but it does retail at twice the price!
SARX057 looks great! I'd say the only strike against it is that it doesn't have any lume.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
What is the least I'd have to spend to get something comparable but with a mechanical movement?
That would be tough imo. It's hard to compare a quartz movement to mechanical. The S100 movement is packed full of tech. If I had to think of one, maybe the Omega Co-axial movement.

Having owned the S100, the SARX055 and the Orient Star Titanium line is the closest in terms of fit and finish. The Orient has lume. Owned the S100 and WZ0031AF together, I thought they were similar enough and coupled with another quartz watch ended up selling the S100. Though the lume was better on the S100 due to larger surface area, the Orient isn't terrible. However, the dimensions of the S100 is way better than a lot of mechanical watches.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
That would be tough imo. It's hard to compare a quartz movement to mechanical. The S100 movement is packed full of tech. If I had to think of one, maybe the Omega Co-axial movement.

Having owned the S100, the SARX055 and the Orient Star Titanium line is the closest in terms of fit and finish. The Orient has lume. Owned the S100 and WZ0031AF together, I thought they were similar enough and coupled with another quartz watch ended up selling the S100. Though the lume was better on the S100 due to larger surface area, the Orient isn't terrible. However, the dimensions of the S100 is way better than a lot of mechanical watches.
That Orient is probably closest in terms of price to compare to the Oceanus

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I have no suggestions to add ... but, please, let us know which watch(es), if any, succeed in scratching your itch. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts