Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a simple watch for every day and work wear. I need
1. 100m WR
2. Mechanical movement
3. Simple, easy to read dial
4. Non-cluttered dial!
5. Decent (5 HR+) lume. I need my watch to work when it needs to work.

I don't need 24 time markers. I'm a paramedic and we use 24 HR time exclusively, so I don't need reminded that 5 pm is 1700. :)

I really like the BM-8180, and if it was mechanical, I'd be on it like a fat man on pizza. I'm not really interested in a quartz analog watch.

I have looked at the Seiko SNZG series, but dang! The dial is very busy, the numbers just seem like an afterthought.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a watch that meets those requirements in that price range. Help?

·
Registered
38 Posts

hamilton khaki field and victorinox infantry comes to mind, though they do run a good $300 more expensive than the Citizen

there's also this very utilitarian marathon, and with the tritium tubes you won't have to worry about lume running out

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
There's the Maratac pilot. It has no 24hr markers, 100M, miyota movement and good lume. They also come in two sizes. They're $200 though and won't be in stock until late this month.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love both the Hamilton and the Vic, but they are way out of my price range right now.

The marathon is perfect, and I was excited when I saw it a week ago, but it's only WR to 3 ATM. That's just not going to work for my life.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the SNK series, and that's the one I would go with if it was higher water resistance. That dang 3 ATM just isn't enough. :(

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I love the SNK series, and that's the one I would go with if it was higher water resistance. That dang 3 ATM just isn't enough. :(
Are you planning on diving with it? 30 m is pretty deep.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I love both the Hamilton and the Vic, but they are way out of my price range right now.

The marathon is perfect, and I was excited when I saw it a week ago, but it's only WR to 3 ATM. That's just not going to work for my life.
I want the same thing. Also wanted something with some decent WR as well. But I wanted a watch that lacked military time on the dial. After quite a bit of searching, I came up with two models. Both similar to the BM8180. Both mechanical. Both WR to 100M. Unfortunately, both are going to be out of your price range since you mentioned that both the Hamilton and Vic are out as well. One is the Bremont Solo at just under $4,000. The other is much more reasonably priced. Can sometimes be found discounted down to what the Hamilton costs brand new. It's the Oris BC3 Sportsman model.

With the exception of the Solo, the other three might be in your budget if you're willing to buy Pre-owned. The Vic Infantry model might be discounted since Victorinox is coming out with a brand new Infantry model to replace the existing one. That might make the older style more affordable for you if you're willing to track down an AD and ask for a discount. Let them know you're aware that a new version was shortly released. Ask if they're willing to work with you to move the old version which they might still have in stock.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you planning on diving with it? 30 m is pretty deep.
Unfortunately, water resistance doesn't work like that. 30m doesn't mean water proof to 100 feet. If you convert ATM to psi, 3 ATM =~45 psi. I just want more water resistance than that. I need a tougher watch as I don't want to spend $100 on a watch and have it quit working because I washed my hands under a heavy faucet or bathed my son with it on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I just found one!

Citizen NH6050
$125 and 21 jewel mitoya 8200 movement. 100m WR.

Nevermind. Reviews say the lume is pretty week. Apparently I just need to buy a Timex with indiglo and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Harold is yobokies. A Seiko modder who sells modded watches and parts.
You can order stuff from him through his email (yobokies@yahoo.com.hk) or PM (yobokies). See his photobucket for images of stuff he sells or threads on different watch forums.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
What about an Obris Morgan Branco?

OBRIS-MORGAN-BRANCO.jpg

Miyota 8215 automatic
Superluminova lume
200m water resistance
Saphire crystal
Titanium case

All for about $220

Obris Morgan Timepieces - Branco

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Or how about a Vostok Komandirskie K34? There are several dial options... and it's a great watch. They run for about $175 with a metal bracelet or $130 on leather.
340008_00-600x900.jpg
340003_11-300x450.jpg
340002_00-300x450.jpg
340004_11-600x900.jpg

Reactions: Horologic

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Seiko 7s26 movements/dials are very easy to take apart and I believe that they are mostly interchangeable. However, the SNZG has that chapter ring with minute markers, then what looks close to a standard dial under it. If they could be separated, you'd have to still keep the chapter ring, and that would get busier than the SNZG.

If you were ok with some kind of diver's bezel, you could certainly swap the dial into a Seiko 5 Sports (SNZH, SNZJ, etc.) model.

I'd certainly wear a Seiko 5 with 3 atm WR in the shower or while doing washing; you can generally trust Seiko's numbers (and assume they really go beyond it). I could certainly stick mine in a bucket for a day or two and let you know how it does (I killed the movement already by dropping it).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ckot, that would be great if you wanted to drop it in a bucket, maybe swish it around for a bit. I really like the snkk35 and it would great if it would be waterproof enough.

I think a lot of the busy-ness of the SNZG face has to do with the chapter ring rather than the actual face.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I'd certainly wear a Seiko 5 with 3 atm WR in the shower or while doing washing; you can generally trust Seiko's numbers (and assume they really go beyond it). I could certainly stick mine in a bucket for a day or two and let you know how it does (I killed the movement already by dropping it).
3ATM WR is fine for sticking into a bucket of standing water. But WR ratings are also about pressure, not just depth. More than a few members have posted how they killed their 30M WR watches by showering with them. A modern shower-head can easily propel water out at a rate that would kill a 30M rated watch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts