WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 447 Posts

· Registered
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Suj isn't a sponsor and I don't think he can start whatever threads for watches of his own that he wants I thought I'd start one for the Portsea since it just took me a fair bit of clicking to find the original renders of the watch. Here's the renders linked but, Suj, perhaps you can update for this particular watch here instead and use the other thread for information on other new models as they come up.

I really like how this one is looking and it just crosses over more into a style I would wear.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

· Vendor
30,597 Posts
Actually, Suj is a sponsor. You can tell by that banner of his at the top of the page, and the word "sponsor" under his user name.

The Portsea looks awesome. It has kind of an IWC Portuguese vibe to it.

I don't know if it's intentional, and if it is, if it's even possible, but in some of the renders above the surface where the hour markers are seems to slope up and outward, like the walls of a bowl.

If that's intentional and if it can be done, along with the wainscoting look of the inner-dial's horizontal stripes, and the floating sub-dials, it's going to be stupendous, and a strong contender for "affordable watch of 2014".

Suj definitely "upped his game" with this design, and it'll be a challenge for other micros to put up something equally as impressive.

Just my $0.02.

· Registered
505 Posts
Some info found from the other thread, going from oldest to newest (aka information towards bottom is most recent):

This is at realistically at least 5-6 months away to being produced, but I'm now in the stage of organising engineering schematics and 3D renders.

Basic specs:
- 40mm case, 10ATM WR
- Multi layered enamel dial
- Miyota 9120 auto movement with calendar

The watch is about 12mm thick including the dial

Pricing and production/pre-order plan is TBD, but it would be higher than the Flinders due to the movement and components (and its likely to be assembled in Switzerland with higher quality parts). Hopefully a RRP around $650AUD but once again its TBD.

It definitely wouldn't be more than $700AUD.

I'm still crunching numbers with regards to pricing but the pre-order price will be $100 less than the MSRP. It's still looking to be around the $650AUD mark for MSRP (approx 580USD).

Reasons for the higher price than the Flinders are A) more expensive movement, B) two enamel dials which aren't cheap and C) assembly in Switzerland

We're still deliberating on the final choice of colour combos but it's looking to be the original white dial, the white dial with a rose gold case and a navy blue version.

We'll be offering brown and navy strap choices as well.

Yep the hands will be blued steel.

I've just found out that they are going to have to replace the flat textured button for the month changer with a regular pusher. Should have updated renders this week.

Ok well quick update then, looks like the dials on the Portsea will in fact be ceramic now instead of enamel, which makes it a bit more unique.
Why? Because the enamel dials were going to be too thick in the double layer configuration so the case height would have been increased too much.
I've been assured the finish should be the same though.
Prototypes are being produced now and I'll report back when I know the date they will be delivered to me. I can't wait !!

· Registered
333 Posts
I really like this. I'm waiting for the actual samples to arrive and be photographed. I'm interested to see how the ceramic dial compares to the original porcelain. In any event, it looks like Suj has my money for this one!

Reactions: Leporello

· Registered
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, Suj is a sponsor. You can tell by that banner of his at the top of the page, and the word "sponsor" under his user name.

The Portsea looks awesome. It has kind of an IWC Portuguese vibe to it.

I don't know if it's intentional, and if it is, if it's even possible, but in some of the renders above the surface where the hour markers are seems to slope up and outward, like the walls of a bowl.

If that's intentional and if it can be done, along with the wainscoting look of the inner-dial's horizontal stripes, and the floating sub-dials, it's going to be stupendous, and a strong contender for "affordable watch of 2014".

Suj definitely "upped his game" with this design, and it'll be a challenge for other micros to put up something equally as impressive.

Just my $0.02.
Ah, good call. I didn't realize he'd become a sponsor.

· Registered
1,803 Posts
Really looking forward to this watch, will most definitely be pre-ordering it. I think this and the Cerberus will be absorbing my watch fund for a few months, after I purchase the Acionna at least!

· Registered
2,682 Posts
That's a really good looking watch, I like the blue the best. Enamel dials should look nice and are a bit unusual too. I'm glad it's 40mm, from the photos I was worried it'd be 44mm or larger.

I got really excited at first thinking it was a monopusher chrono too, until I saw the dates.

· Registered
2,858 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread SteamJ, even though I am actually a sponsor :) Saves me from starting one down the track!

Looks like you have got the info and specs down pat but I'll reiterate anyway:

- 40mm 316L case, approx 12mm thickness (normal steel and PVD rose gold versions)
- Dual ceramic duals with the upper layer 'floating' above the bottom
- Miyota 9120 automatic calendar movement, modified to remove 24 hour sub dial and date at 6
- Domed sapphire crystal
- Solid case back with relief engraving
- 100m WR
- Croc grain leather straps with polished steel logo buckles

MSRP will be around $650AUD (if not exacty 650) - I won't lock it down until the prototypes are in my hands and have been confirmed. Price could change slightly if changes are needed etc.

Pre-order price will be lower (I'd say $100AUD off).

As for development progress, I've just approved all the components for prototype creation and I've been told creation of the samples is underway now.

I'll be opening up pre-orders after I receive the samples and I'd expect a 2 month pre-order period with delivery around July at this rate.

I'll keep you all updated on here as things progress ;-)

Cheers,

Suj.

· Registered
7,796 Posts
Maybe I am just not refined enough, but I don't care much for this watch. Far too fancy/dressy looking for my everyday wear. Would fit very well with a metro-sexual though.(I hope that word isn't forbidden) Due to the fact that I have only liked one of the 3 models, I guess I am not really on the same wavelength as Melbourne Watches. Saves me money in the end though.
What I think would be awesome is if some of these micro brands would bring out some stuff that modernize some vintage designs. Something like what Tudor has been doing with the Black Bay, and now the new Ranger, but in a more affordable price range.

· Registered
2,858 Posts
Maybe I am just not refined enough, but I don't care much for this watch. Far too fancy looking. Would fit very well with a metro-sexual though.(I hope that word isn't forbidden) Due to the fact that I have only liked one of the 3 models, I guess I am not really on the same wavelength as Melbourne Watches. Saves me money in the end though.
What I think would be awesome is if some of these micro brands would bring out some stuff that modernize some vintage designs. Something like what Tudor has been doing with the Black Bay, and now the new Ranger.
That's fair enough mate - I wouldn't expect everyone to have similar tastes to me. Just hopefully enough so that we stay in business :)

· Registered
725 Posts
DARN IT! Leave it to someone to come up with the EXACT watch I have been searching for!

Well, I guess I didn't need that $600 anyway...

· Registered
7,796 Posts
That's fair enough mate - I wouldn't expect everyone to have similar tastes to me. Just hopefully enough so that we stay in business :)
And I truly wish you all the best..........now do some designs that I love and absolutely have to have so I can show some more support for our f71 micro-brands.:-d

1 - 20 of 447 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.