WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
This is my new (well, old - 1960s!) Memovox. I have a question about the glow in the dark feature - is it possible that it’s radium? I have a suspicion that it may have been replaced with something more modern, as it glows a bright greeny colour. After about 7 hours in the dark it no longer glows. The pips around the inside and little hand for the alarm glow, but the main hands and everything else do not. What does everyone think? Could it be radium? It only says ‘swiss’ at the bottom, no ‘t’ for tritium either. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I would not move anything there and leave it in its original condition. You really need night lighting. You will lose many points on the dial modifications, and this is probably not what vintage watches are about. I understand that the shield has not been renewed yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not move anything there and leave it in its original condition. You really need night lighting. You will lose many points on the dial modifications, and this is probably not what vintage watches are about. I understand that the shield has not been renewed yet?
Hi, thank you for your reply! I myself don’t intent to alter a thing, I love it just as it is! I was just hoping someone may know whether this sounds like radium, or maybe it has been altered in some way before I got it. Thank you though!

·
Registered
57 Posts
To me it looks like the dial was re-lumed. Lumes from 1960s should look slightly degraded and more cream-like colour. Re-luming is perfectly fine. Thats why you can read the time in the dark. Dont worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts