WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you notice that it's a women's watch if no one told you?

• No, it looks gender nuetral

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Yes, I can tell it's a women's watch

Votes: 34 91.9%
  • I thought it was a mens watch when I saw it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a white ceramic Bulova watch for my boyfriend for Christmas. He said he's been wanting a really classy white one, but I was on the Bulova website today and realized that the watch I got is a women's watch.
I told the sales associate at Macy's who it was for and he didn't say anything about it.
Besides size & appearance, what really is the difference? I don't think it looks like a women's watch.....What do you think?
Bulova

Attachments

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Eh, the diamonds are a bit girly, I suppose, but otherwise aside from the colour I don't see anything there that says "women's watch." The link doesn't seem to have the case size, but if it's within the range of acceptable men's sizes then I don't see a problem.

Any easy way to man it up would be to throw a nice black leather band on it. That said, I tend to think that a black leather band looks better on almost all watches. Looking at the pic, though, can that watch take a standard band?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk if it could take a leather band or not.
He doesn't like leather banks & has a black Bulova with diamonds.... so hopefully he won't notice.
Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome to WUS!

Yes, I would say it´s a lady´s watch...

Lots of ceramic white, that guilloché-like pattern in the dial (unusual on a sports watch, even if it´s sport-chic) and on top of it: the diamonds!

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
My wife owns the non-chrono version......I've seen this watch and there is no disguising the fact that it is a woman's watch.
Take it back and exchange it for something else.

·
Registered
676 Posts
In my opinion it's a little on the feminine side, something about the overall color and the band. Do you know what size it is?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Woman's watch. No question. Bet it is even more obvious in person, since the diameter is likely 35 or under. I'm not a size or diameter freak, but at least for me, a watch simply doesn't look right unless it's around 38mm. Strongly urge you to return (and please consider something other than Bulova, such as Citizen, Seiko, or possibly Hamilton).

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,206 Posts
Besides size and appearance?? Short of a sign that says Womens Watch, those are the two very big indicators. A Bulova Accutron is a fine watch. Look for an Accutron Gemini chronograph.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Definitely looks feminine to me. Although I think white ceramic anything will look feminine unless it's huge and gaudy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just googled it.
They are very nice, but 3x what I paid for the one I have..... kinda too pricey for me
Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why do you say something other than Bulova?
Personal bias, I'm pretty negative towards "fashion" watches that clutter the malls, garbage like Police, Michele, ESQ., Invicta. These are cheap watches made en masse from cheap parts overseas, and then sold at outrageous premiums to an unsuspecting public. No exaggeration to say these watches have maybe $50 in materials, zero thought or innovation by the company pumping them out, yet are sold for many hundreds of dollars, which really annoys the heck out of me.

Now Bulova, perhaps, doesn't deserve that criticism, and I'm sure if you get him another Bulova he will like it. My only suggestion is to consider a watch brand that does stuff in-house and is known for quality timepieces. Seiko is one for sure. Lots of people respect Citizen. I like Lum Tec, their watches are really great (though a little more pricey). Search the forums, there are many good suggestions from members more knowledgeable than I at this pricepoint, in fact recently I was in the Seiko/Citizen forum asking for advice on a good daily beater. You could certainly do the same, people very helpful here.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
It's 40mm so it's not too small...if I really try I can stay with you until the bracelet, but that's as far as I go...having said that, if you're boyfriend is rock star stylish (and I mean like a real rock star - not like "Dude, you updated all those servers! You're a rock star!") then it might just work.

Reactions: sammy81091

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Just did a quick search and found the Emporio Armani ceramic watch (model AR1403):

ar1403.jpg

It looks to be in the same price range, at 42mm it's bigger (though 40mm is fine with me) and perhaps is a bit more...I don't know...streamlined?? There is a fashion watch forum on WUS, you may want to present your watch and solicit opinions over there since participants in that forum might be more in tune with what you're trying to accomplish.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts