Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loveley DW-6100 arrived today, so i thought i'd give it a good clean up as i do all second hand watches.

My usual method is a short soak in oxy action to take off most of the dirt, followed by a once over with an old electric toothbrush (the kind with the oscillating head)

Dismantled the 6100, along with a nice yellow DW-9500US that also arrived today and put the parts into a little tub. In goes a bit of oxy-action powder and some hot water.

Now my golden rule is to not leave the watches in too hot a water temp for too long, otherwise there's a risk of paint coming away from the bezel lettering.....................forgot all about it today and left them both in for about 1/2hr!!!!!!

Fished out the bits............9500 suffered no ill effects. However the lettering on the 6100 bezel was lifting as i pulled it out of the water!! :oops:

Rather than have a bezel with only half the words painted in, i decided to attack it with the toothbrush ;-) and got nearly all the paint out before the battery died.

I was going to repaint the bezel (raid the wifes nail varnish supplies) but am now thinking that it doesn't look at all bad, sans paint. I might just wait for the toothbrush to charge up and take out the remnants of the paint. For some reason the paint where it says '[email protected] didn't budge, but i kind of like it there on its own :-!

What do you guys think?????

After i removed paint (Don't have a before)

Excellent lume!!!!! b-)

With a couple of other recent arrivals

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the stealth look. I'd leave it that way for now and then if you get tired of it, paint away.

Nice looking watch.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, it's there already, no harm in leaving it like that :-d

Downloaded the manual.............am really loving the functionality of this watch, more than just the simple watch/thermo combo that i thought it was :-!

Rusty

·
Registered
328 Posts
i think it looks quite nice and agree with the 'leave as is and change later if feeling tired' view.

and i think that this should also be one of the options on the poll.
why not have a 'leave as is' available ? that's how i would vote...

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I took the liberty of adding an option to the poll so I could vote. :)

Power crazy, these Moderators...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I think it looks great!
What is that word, darn it... one word to describe the wear on a fine pen or jewlery that makes it look nice... something like pateen....

-Gawain

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patina? i think it means a layer of corrosion on copper based metals, but is also used in the context of any kind of age related marks that add character. Seem to see it used a lot in Seiko forums, people mention the patina on their dials and lume.

The more i look at this watch, the more i'm loving it. Was never going to remove the paint from the word 'THERMOMETER' just thinking of tidying up the other words with a bit of paint left in them.

Rusty

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I voted before the 3rd option was there. I think it looks fine how it is. |> I'm not that fussed either way about stealth, but I think it looks at least as good as it would with the paint.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I am in a silly mood today.... ;-)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I could change your vote.
Please do, I like it how it is.

Change his vote to however it was I voted... eh?
Now now Gawain, it's not like he's offering a bribe. The watch he sent me was clearly marked as a retail sample. ;-)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Watch is staying as it is :). I like this watch more and more, very impressed for a 1992 watch, even the light, though poor by todays standards, is sufficient in a retro kind of way :-!

Rusty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts