WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem like a stupid question,
but anyways, after you take out the pin of the metal bracelet and wash it,
is it necessary to lube it before putting it back on?

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Never done that and my oldest metal bracelet is 50 years old. Others have between 35 and 25 years, no problem whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
71,532 Posts
I think I understand your reasoning behind this but it is something I have never done or, to tell the truth, never thought of doing.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Can this be a DIY job that doesn't require disassembling the bracelet? Also, what kind of grease do you use (I know for watch movements at least servicing one movement requires a multitude of different types of oil).
In answer to question.....My watch guy sold me a number 2 can of elbow grease... That's all you need. And yes it is DIY.

Reactions: Nokie and jsw41

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,864 Posts
Guys, quit teasing... ;)

Poomkusa, you shouldn't need to lube it, but a dab of machine oil or 3-in-1 wouldn't kill it, either.

I've wondered about bracelet lube since I noticed my watch's bracelet being a bit noisier after I wore it into the shower. It was dead silent before.

You should see discussions on bike forums about how to lube bicycle chains...

(btw, for any non-native English speakers out there, "elbow grease" isn't a lubricant)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Guys, quit teasing... ;)

Poomkusa, you shouldn't need to lube it, but a dab of machine oil or 3-in-1 wouldn't kill it, either.

I've wondered about bracelet lube since I noticed my watch's bracelet being a bit noisier after I wore it into the shower. It was dead silent before.

You should see discussions on bike forums about how to lube bicycle chains...

(btw, for any non-native English speakers out there, "elbow grease" isn't a lubricant)
Look, they are not meant to be lubed. Oils attract, and hold, dirt (check that bike chain -, that's why many-ok me at least- are now using non-oil lubes for their bikes btw) also most have some odor and who wants that mess on your arm or cuff? My bracelets just don't move that much to make noise.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
And of course...You are joking? If you want to clean a watch bracelet you should use VERAET watch Spray...It's the
best stuff for cleaning a watch. If your watch is waterproof clean the entire watch...Human oils,sweat and skin flakes
plus dirt will gum up your bands. Use a mild dish detergent or better VERAET and clean them up...Don't oil them!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Like what most of the other guys said. You don't actually need to lubricate metal unless it's making contact with other bits of metal.

It's not like leather. It won't dry out.

You'll also be left with nasty lube all over the band if you try to wear it. I'd recommend a metal impregnating lubricant.
MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

4oz-miltec1.jpg

Militec is probably your best bet. I used it quite a bit on firearms, and because it works like a dry lube, you don't have to worry about getting the messy lube everywhere. You apply it to the metal and then heat up the metal with a hair dryer or oven. As the pores in the metal expand, the militec is absorbed. You can then wipe off the excess oil.

The band will feel dry to the touch, but it will still have quite a bit of lube on it.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
I've been around watches a long time. Never heard of anyone lubricating a bracelet. Never heard of anyone who's heard of anyone who lubricated a bracelet.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I've been around watches a long time. Never heard of anyone lubricating a bracelet. Never heard of anyone who's heard of anyone who lubricated a bracelet.
Well.......Now you have.
This is "why" I come here.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Like what most of the other guys said. You don't actually need to lubricate metal unless it's making contact with other bits of metal.

It's not like leather. It won't dry out.

You'll also be left with nasty lube all over the band if you try to wear it. I'd recommend a metal impregnating lubricant.
MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

Militec is probably your best bet. I used it quite a bit on firearms, and because it works like a dry lube, you don't have to worry about getting the messy lube everywhere. You apply it to the metal and then heat up the metal with a hair dryer or oven. As the pores in the metal expand, the militec is absorbed. You can then wipe off the excess oil.

The band will feel dry to the touch, but it will still have quite a bit of lube on it.
It shouldn't be necessary to lube your bracelet pins. That said, the metal used in the pins will many times be sourced differently than the actual bracelet parts and I've seen then deteriorate to a much greater degree than the actual bracelet. Especially maddening on some vintage Omega bracelets I have where the connecting hardware wasn't much better than pot metal and mere body oils and salts caused them to thoroughly corrode.

In any case, if you are going to do anything, it sounds like Blubaru has the good idea here.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Here's what I use to clean my bracelets. Put a little in a plastic bag w/ the bracelet and work it around for a few minutes. It gets rid of all the gunk and makes the bracelet silky smooth, comfortable, and reduces bracelet rattle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts