WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife is looking for a nice oversize watch - just like this Michael Kors. I would love to get her one but I am very skeptical of the functionality of Michael Kors. Can anybody think of a watchmaker where the look is similar to this but has better quality movement, etc.?

Thanks!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Tan
Hair Blond Clothing Hairstyle Beauty
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Cartier Tank, JLC Reverso

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
242 Posts
OP: "What watch looks similar to this (roughly $200) watch but is more reputable??"

typical WIS response: "This $5k Cartier, This $11k Franck Muller, or maybe a $25k+ Roger Dubois"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J.J. Black said:
OP: "What watch looks similar to this (roughly $200) watch but is more reputable??"

typical WIS response: "This $5k Cartier, This $11k Franck Muller, or maybe a $25k+ Roger Dubois"
Ha. Interesting take. I certainly am not looking to spend 25k or even 5k. I was just hoping some watch nuts would know a simple gold style with a leather strap that runs better than a Kors.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
TerpsForever said:
Ha. Interesting take. I certainly am not looking to spend 25k or even 5k. I was just hoping some watch nuts would know a simple gold style with a leather strap that runs better than a Kors.
Perhaps you could provide a price range giving respondents a bit of specificity on what brands to suggest;-)

·
Registered
214 Posts
What's wrong with movements used in Michael Kors watches?

Girls love MK these days. Getting anything else will be a replacement.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
What's wrong with movements used in Michael Kors watches?

Girls love MK these days. Getting anything else will be a replacement.
True, Michael Kors are popular these days. But it's an expensive Fossil, made in China.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Michael Kors make good watches
and so does China

if you're buying a watch as a gift for the wife or g/f who cares more about how it looks,
then 'movement' is really a moot point

actually, the best movement would be a quartz

I can almost guarantee that if you buy your wife a different watch with a 'better' movement (but less appealing look), she wont be wearing that watch long

or if you buy an automatic/manual watch ... she'll either be exchanging it for a quartz or it'll eventually go (and stay) in her jewelry box

if they're going by aesthetic, stay with aesthetic - dont worry too much about the movement

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
and if you dont like the idea of spending too much for a 'fashion' watch,
then I would recommend grey market dealers

jomashop, thewatchery, etc

·
Registered
55 Posts
So the wife is looking for a nice oversize watch - just like this Michael Kors. I would love to get her one but I am very skeptical of the functionality of Michael Kors. Can anybody think of a watchmaker where the look is similar to this but has better quality movement, etc.?

Thanks!
In short, not really. Michael Kors is the "it" watch right now for women, and lots of watches are emulating the style. Sure, it's a Fossil. But its quartz movement is good, and the style, which is really the most important thing with Michael Kors, is there and it's the real thing. The roughly $250 price gets you a good looking, gold plated watch that isn't expensive enough to fret about when it goes out of style.

For half price, you can consider going with a look-alike Fossil brand watch. Fossil has several which look very similar at first glance, but they don't have that magic name on the dial. I've actually developed a habit of looking at brand names on this type of watch, and it seems like more than half end up being Fossil, not Michael Kors.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Hamilton has some squarish options.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Someone interested in an MK watch won't want something else. Don't buy her a fancy watch if she won't appreciate it and lust after a Fossil.

My wife's friend just posted a picture on Twitter of her new watch. She makes about $300K/year, and bought a Marc Jacobs watch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts