WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread on this great forum where a member put a Mickey Mouse dial in a SKX and made an awesome Mickey diver. In the thread the member mentioned how he needed to take off the date/day wheel and change the size of the holes for the hands to fit. He also had to trim the dial down a bit. In the end, it looked like such an awesome an unique piece I thought I would try to put one together. My question to all you experts out there is there a tutorial somewhere that will walk me through taking off the day/date wheel? Also and probably most important, is there any one out there in the US that would like to help me size the hands to fit the seiko movement? My kids love Mickey above all else and I think they would really enjoy dad's Mickey watch. To size the dial I was going to slowly use some sand paper since I don't have access to a lathe. Thanks to anyone that can give me info or offer to help me

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
I just checked EBay for "Mickey Mouse Seiko" and came up with a good selection of Seiko powered Mickey Mouse watches. I think there is a good chance that the entire movement, dial and hands could swap right over into a Seiko diver. I think you could get a Seiko Mickey Mouse watch and a Seiko Dive watch and pull the ol' switch a roo to get yourself a dang near factory made Seiko Mickey diver.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just checked EBay for "Mickey Mouse Seiko" and came up with a good selection of Seiko powered Mickey Mouse watches. I think there is a good chance that the entire movement, dial and hands could swap right over into a Seiko diver. I think you could get a Seiko Mickey Mouse watch and a Seiko Dive watch and pull the ol' switch a roo to get yourself a dang near factory made Seiko Mickey diver.
Great minds think alike because I thought about this exact same thing a little while ago. The problem is that most of the dials that I've seen lend themselves to more of a dress style case or a smaller case than the SKX.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is vwguy60's Mickey SKX that is my inspiration. The dial isn't really available anymore and it is a lot harder than I thought it would be to get a good looking black dial with no date. I think I have a possible winner for the dial but I'm still waiting for it to delivered. I need to find someone who can help me make the hands fit and potentially help trim down the dial. I might try the sand paper and elbow grease method first on the dial.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
519 Posts
I used the sand paper method, it works but takes patience, like vwguy60 said an SKX takes a 28.5mm dial, the first dial turned out great, the second that I tried, not so much as I was getting impatient and f'd it up with the sandpaper, and then tried to fix it with superglue.... the details are too gruesome and sordid to go into on a public forum...good luck

Pics of my MM mod
IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0817.JPG

G

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't quite work out with the ebay.uk listing so I'm still going to try and build this great piece I suppose.

·
Banned
304 Posts
I'm beyond comprehensible distance from being able to modify a watch to make this happen, but I would die countless deaths in order to find one of these for my hot little hands.
If anyone manages to find these all done up for sale, and nudges me in their direction, then my gratitude would be inexpressible!
Beautiful watches.

Oughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so cute!

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts