WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an idea for a project and I thought I would ask a general consensus question, is this a dumb idea?

The reason for the build is, #1, I am an engineer and if anyone here is, we do relate Mickey Mouse to doing work or designs that is subpar. I'm not saying I do but it part of being humorous.

#2, my grandmother (may she rest in peace) used to buy me Mickey Mouse watches back in the 70's when I was a young child. They were nice hand winds that probably would have some value today. Being a boy, I constantly busted main springs and tested their lack of water resistance.

Flash forward to today, I am the a Director of Engineering for the company I work for, I build watches and have a great connection to a Duarte at NEWW for advice and if I get into something I cannot do. I highly recommend him to anyone who needs work done.

Here is a photoshopped skx with a Mickey dial and hands. I bought a watch on eBay just for the dial and hands, Duarte explained the fine art of resizing (broaching) and sent me tips and links to tools to buy.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

I've built all but one watch Duarte is helping me with and again, do you guys think I am dumb for doing this? I think it is cool because the engineer thing and also will make think of my grandmother who passed away way too early.

It will be outfitted with a domed sapphire crystal from Jake, the contouring bezel insert, possibly a Murphy bezel and a nice bracelet, probably a Super Engineer or Super Oyster II. I may have to make a chapter ring depending on the actual dial size, but I have a machine shop at work and I will design it in case I need to fill in any gaps. The watch will be a skx007, new Japanese model I already have and it will be fully sealed and pressure tested so I cannot get it wet and there is no over winding this one. Basically, if my grandmother gave me this as a kid, I never could break it like the others.

What do you think? Feel free to speak your mind, I am curious.

·
Registered
838 Posts
love it. I too, wore Mickey watches as a kid. I would be in for one!

Reactions: vwguy60

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
There is nothing wrong with Mickey Mouse watch.
My 76 years old mother-in-law only wears her tiny mini gold plated faded quartz watch and she loves it !

Go ahead and do what you want and what you like.
Its your watch after all !

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've been searching for about two weeks on the watch I would use for this project. I was originally looking for a 6309-7040/49 so I can use a cushion case. But since I did not want to use a good original, I was looking for something to restore or a good case. No luck, I either missed out on a purchase or the cases were corroded and it would not be water resistant. The next best idea was a new skx. They are not considered a collectable and they are solid watches, even more when upgraded with sapphire, aftermarket bezels and bracelets.

The Mickey dial I had a certain criteria too, I wanted a black dial and I wanted a decent Mickey Mouse design, no text on the dial with branding or saying quartz. The options were limited but I found this on eBay, if I screw up, need more or do another, I can still get them. But I have to buy a watch just for the parts.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Like the idea, would not mind one of those in my collection, please post pics when your done. Wish I had steady enough hands to undertake a project like this. Good Luck and make sure to show us the finished product!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Good luck on the project and I find it silly in no way. You're setting a goal for this and that's respectable. All the right reasons are there. And having Duarte on board is always a great thing :thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! The project has started, the Mickey Mouse watch should be delivered today, I have the skx base watch and I am in the process of buying more tools. I still need to order the parts, I noticed Jake is out with health issues. I'll post progress pics here but I do not expect to be done for over a month, especially if parts from Harold or Jake need to be ordered.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I like the idea, I have a Mickey watch if my own from when I was a kid, wouldnt mind using parts from it to make a Mickey Diver if my own

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the base watch, a skx007J with an Arabic day wheel. Production date is June 2012. As of now, this is all I have. I ordered some broaching tools and will be ordering more later. I like vintage watchmaker tools but some of the stuff I have to get new. That Bergeon stuff gets expensive!!! Now that I am building more for myself and others, my cheaper tools are getting replaced with quality tools.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I love the idea!!
And not all the Mickey mouse watches were cheap!!
Try googling Gerald Genta Mickey mouse watch if you want to see how high they can go!! :)

Sent using AMAZINGLY STUPID AND OVERLY COMPLICATED as well as SLOOOOW NEW Tapatalk, even though I paid for the old version, that worked perfectly!!! I want the old one back!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love the idea!!
And not all the Mickey mouse watches were cheap!!
Try googling Gerald Genta Mickey mouse watch if you want to see how high they can go!! :)
OMG! They are nice though… This one will be at the low end in comparison, but useful and practical like a Seiko automatic. I thought about using a Sumo and 6R15 as the base (I have one already) but I figured I would start small (and cheap). If it looks decent when done, I may move it a caliber.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dial looks to be a little larger in diameter than the Seiko dial. I'll try to get the Mickey Mouse watch apart tomorrow so I could measure the difference. I ordered some of the broaching tools this afternoon, I still need some measuring tools so it will be a little while until I can get the hands fit to the Seiko movement.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Very Cool indeed. Love Mickey, Love Divers. I went to Disney this summer with the wife and kids and bought a Mickey Mouse watch, cheap thing but hey a Mickey watch bought at Disney World, right? If they had it as a Diver like the one in your photoshop job I would not have even asked the price but would have bought it on the spot. Kicking myself now, I bought a tonneau watch, should have bought the round case?!?!

Please take pictures of your project, I would love to see how it comes out. Ohh, if you could put lume on Mickey's hands, getting way too excited now.....:-d

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I never got a Mickey Mouse watch as a child. Now that I'm 43 yrs old, it's time to give it some thought, and the idea of an SKX-based "Diver Mickey" is awesome. I can't wait to see the final product as I may do the same thing!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This post will be one of the last until my tool order comes in, I hit a stopping point last night. I'll resurrect this thread when the tools come in and more work progresses. Yesterday, I had a thought… Can Disney come after me for making this? When I opened the box for the first time, I thought the packaging was very nicely done. The watch box is a synthetic leather, the watch was on a velvet pillow and it had a blue Disney tag on the bracelet. The bracelet believe it or not was solid, not hollow and the end links were solid.

Here are some pics you everyone to see how it came:

Wallet Material property Fashion accessory

Box Packaging and labeling Paper product

Basically, it was as nice or nicer than the SBBN015 box my Marine Master Tuna came in, way nicer than the yellow box my Sumo came in and obviously way nicer than a SKX box. I paid $25 for this watch on the auction site, it was new and not used.

On the back of the watch, the case back says it is a licensed product:

Eye Material property Eye shadow Nail Cosmetics

So, I figured I bought a licensed product, the company paid the licensing fees to Disney and I bought the watch. Disney got paid (unless they are making a false statement). I bought the watch for the dial and hands only and it was cheaper than buying a dial and hands from Jake or Harold! If I mass produced them and sold them, I can see getting in trouble but I don't even know if I can make one yet...

Here is some areas that are extremely cheap, check out the movement in this slightly larger than normal sized watch:

Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

It is a non jeweled Miyota 2034 movement. You can buy a replacement movement for $8.95 retail!!! Here is a picture of the solid end links I wrote about above:

Earrings Metal Fashion accessory Brass Jewellery

The machining was horrible but they are solid. The bracelet as I stated is pretty heavy but the clasp sucks. It is a 22mm non tapered bracelet. I am thinking of trying to see if it fits an skx, changing the clasp and brushing off the gloss. It might end up a nice bracelet, it is an Oyster style like the Sumo bracelet where all the links are not independent like a Super Oyster.

The next step is to remove the dial. The dial extends to the OD of the white plastic movement holder. I'll make a small fixture so I can machine the OD of the dial down on a lathe so it will fit in an skx case. I'll also probably have to make a chapter ring from scratch or modify one of Jake's aluminum ones (I have one on order for measurements). After that, I need to resize the hands and see if it all can fit on the 7s26 movement. I thought about making this a quartz watch by using a Seiko 7548 diver watch (I have one for another project) but according to another WUS member friend, he said fitting a bracelet is hit and miss, it is similar to the skx case but not exactly. Besides, most MM watches are quartz and autos are way cooler! So, as of now, I am going with the skx. If this works, I may build another as a quartz in a 6309 cushion case to using an ETA 2824 diver watch kit but now I am getting way ahead of myself. I need more tools, for anyone else who wants to do this, the cost is not in the watches, it is in the tools needed to fit everything. Then, you need a machine shop too, I am fortunate, I run one at work and also have a lot of friends in the metal fabrication business.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Mickey watch disassembled:

Dial:

Button Badge Logo Fashion accessory Illustration

Hands:

Material property Stain Ceiling

Some hand hole measuring, this is a Seiko hand:

Text Ruler Font

Mickey's hands are quite a bit smaller:

Making sure it is good in the broaching vice:

Pendant Fashion accessory Jewellery Finger Locket

Over the next couple days, I will fit the dial to the 7S movement and check if a regular chapter ring will work, otherwise I gotta make one. Once the dial is fitted, I'll resize the hand holes.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts