WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on these questions, but I didn't get many results.

I purchased a Borealis Seafarer II from the forum classifieds. I tend to keep things for a long time.
I thought it would be a good idea to get some replacement items, for wear & tear replacement (or worse) down the road.

The items I thought would be good to have on hand might be:

-Sapphire bezel: Maria told me they only have parts for warranty repair. Once the 12 month warranty period is over, does Borealis or others make these items available?
Will other bezels fit?

- Viton & tefzel gaskets: are these off the shelf items that any watchmaker/repair shop would have on hand?

- Sapphire crystal - same, is this a standard size/shape crystal?

- Miyota 9015 movement - I know ETA recently stopped selling movements, could Citizen do the same thing down the road?

I assume owners of other micro-brand watches have faced similar issues, so I'm curious as to what others have done for maintenance.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
ETA is still selling movements and in fact has recently opened the spicket wider as Steinhart has returned to the 2824 from the Sprod A-10 on some models. And I believe Helson and Armida have found more 2824 as well.

You are overthinking the replacement parts issue. Getting replacement gaskets now is counterproductive as they will age in storage and be useless when needed later, IMHO. And a replacement movement will have dried out lubricant with storage age.

Crystals should not be an issue in later years, unless we have a nuclear winter.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input yankeeexpress, the automatic watch world is new to me.

What about the Bezel? Besides the crystal, that is the most high wear part. Will Borealis eventually release the bezels? Will another bezel fit, that failing?
I have a 20 year old Seiko Quartz diver, the bezel is very worn but I cannot find that size any longer. I don't want to get in the same predicament with this Borealis.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Thanks for the input yankeeexpress, the automatic watch world is new to me.

What about the Bezel? Besides the crystal, that is the most high wear part. Will Borealis eventually release the bezels? Will another bezel fit, that failing?
I have a 20 year old Seiko Quartz diver, the bezel is very worn but I cannot find that size any longer. I don't want to get in the same predicament with this Borealis.
If Seiko no longer stocks parts for their vintage watches, what are the odds of finding parts for a micro 5, 10 or 20 years down the road.

Will these companies even exists in ten years?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If Seiko no longer stocks parts for their vintage watches, what are the odds of finding parts for a micro 5, 10 or 20 years down the road.

Will these companies even exists in ten years?
Exactly the purpose of my questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts