WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you enjoy and buy micro brands. Do you think about long term ownership and what happens a few years down the road with repair or service? Will the company be around in say 15 years for parts or factory repair? I now some and don’t want to name them, that do not really sell parts or any service after the sale. This is a big concern for me and the main reason I do not have any micro brands in my small collection. How about you, how do you feel about this issue? Maybe the watch is cheap enough that you just don’t even worry about repair? Maybe the components, are generally generic enough that parts are no problem? Vance.

Reactions: Jlcast and adiuvat

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
It’s all down to the movement really, if it’s an eta or a Sellita then anyone can fix or maintain it.

Cheaper ones may use a Seiko nh35 movement, which is also easily fixed.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It’s all down to the movement really, if it’s an eta or a Sellita then anyone can fix or maintain it.

Cheaper ones may use a Seiko nh35 movement, which is also easily fixed.
This. As long as it’s a standard movement I’m not really concerned about it.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
The only micros I have that I would consider servicing (worth enough) are

Memorigin
Minase
SUF Helsinki

SUF is easy. I'll just use my regular watchmaker. The Soprod is easy. The Memorigin will go back to Memorigin since it's way too complex of a movement and dial for any 3rd party to want to go near. Minase will most likely go back to Minase as well since the cases are complex enough it's probably not worth having anyone else touch it. Assuming they even want to touch it.

Reactions: Grasshopperglock

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
There is a dichotomy between the type of watchophiles. You are in the category of the "keepers," who project keeping a microbrand for 15years down the road. The other side of the coin is those of us who enjoy microbrands for a while, but are habitually flipping micros for the newest micro flavor the month. I have several micros from several decades ago that have a degree of "specialness." They're still running fine. Of the several hundred watches I've owned over the decades, only two have "died" on me. Both arrived DOA, and the brand owners replaced them immediately.

The posters who say that it is easy to just replace standard movements are right, but many of us realize that if we keep most of our micros for even five years, that's a long time. Where I agree with you is when micro companies, and many of them do this, is having the hubris after a $500/750 initial release, start jumping their releases up to $1500/1600 where a buyer can buy an established company with history and recognition of being a quality marque's watch either new or previously loved watch for the same elevated priced micro brand's watch that is essentially the same as their lower-priced initial offering.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is a concern, although as said elsewhere here, the movements are usually easily replaced. However, I never pay more than about $350 for a microbrand, and usually much less. At that price, I'm not worried about 10 or 15 years down the road.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Many of you enjoy and buy micro brands. Do you think about long term ownership and what happens a few years down the road with repair or service? Will the company be around in say 15 years for parts or factory repair? I now some and don’t want to name them, that do not really sell parts or any service after the sale. This is a big concern for me and the main reason I do not have any micro brands in my small collection. How about you, how do you feel about this issue? Maybe the watch is cheap enough that you just don’t even worry about repair? Maybe the components, are generally generic enough that parts are no problem? Vance.
Micro brands are most likely to use an off-the-shelf movement rather than some unique in-house movement. Most any competent watch maker will be able to service such a movement.

You may not be able to get other components years later. Things such as dials, hands, crowns might be hard to come by. Still, that's not much different than buying a more mainstream, popular brand. I doubt that most manufactures want to service decades old watches.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Parts availability is my number one issue with outfits that simply resell watches made in China. Many Kickstarter brands in particular.

I've had several issues that couldn't be economically resolved. One was returned to Singapore and seems to have completely disappeared.

Micros are not all the same, sure, so I am not writing them off as a category. But I will be very selective and get answers to my questions prior to buying one.

·
Premium Member
32,417 Posts
Honestly, the thought of future service never really crossed my mind. Now that you mentioned it….

Got a few micro brand watches with me but they are all either ETA, Seiko or Miyota movements. So I could either go to a reputable independent to work on my watches or in the case of the cheaper NH35 or Miyota, simply buy a replacement to swap out the movement.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Movement shouldn't be an issue. Other parts like hands (which need to be removed during service or as part of a movement swap and may be damaged in process), crowns, or bracelet parts (mostly a problem for integrated bracelet designs) could be.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
I don’t worry about service since I know what I do buy will be serviceable. If it’s cheap, throw it away.
I think there is some one way thinking here. All micro brands aren’t cheap ass watches . Some cost thousands and thousands. I have no fear of the low or high end based on my comments

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,370 Posts
It plays into my decision making, and it places a ceiling on my comfortable spend level. I own multiple micros BTW

·
Registered
12,706 Posts

Not all microbrands are the same. Some plan better for future issues better than others. The only way to know is to ask questions of current owners and even the company owner him/herself. I would have zero concerns about Monta or Halios for instance because of how they run their business. I would not trust the Synchron group beyond 3-5 years of support.

Secondly its isnt like Citizen carries replacement parts for their entire huge catalog of watches for 10 years or more. Even the big boys like Omega, BP, JLC, Oris will have some point that it isnt practical to keep producing replacement parts. But some watches like the Speedy are made in millions so cannibalizing another donor watch can be done in the most extreme instances.

Servicing movements are not an issue unless you are talking in-house movements.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
It is a crap shoot really as to whether they'll be around. Steinhart and C. Ward seem to have made the leap to conventionality, Helson, NTH and Zelos are close, among others. They're mostly built with off the shelf components and won't be hard to service. And usually they fall into the "affordables" category for this humble peasant, anyway. I realize there's a whole world of billionaire playthings out there, but if those are your concern you probably can afford their upkeep as well.

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
I’ve had good support from several micro brands over the past 15 years. Two notables are Magrette and Bernhardt. But as others have said; mostly it’s service of the movement that matters. Competent watchmakers should be able to service any of the standard movements.

Reactions: vmgotit

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm new to watches, and therefore micro-brands, but I've gotten fantastic CS before and after purchase with Marc & crew from Long Island Watch. I just purchased my second watch from them and have plans to get at least a couple more.

They use NH35 movements which I can get crowns/dials/hands for, even if not the original. So, in the worst case scenario, my watch would evolve in how it looks, but I'd keep the case original

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is Richard Mille considered a micro brand? I'm genuinely curious. They are only about 10 years old, yet sell their watches for some truly crazy prices.

I think everyone has a different budget and goals in mind. I have some micro-brands, with quartz movement, which are running perfectly fine 10+ years later.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Generic, workhorse movements should be easily serviced or replaced, and proprietary parts can always be substituted.

Forget 15 years oid, ever tried to source legit, OEM parts for a 50 yr old watch? Some few companies may have common parts for some models, but history is littered with orphaned mainstream brand models.

My experience: Seiko could not do a repair on a 12yr old watch due to lack of crown/stem assembly.

For me, longevity of a microband company where service parts are concerned is a complete non-issue.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I am haunted by this kind of thinking whenever I buy a micro brand watch or take a look at my collection that has several micros. There were instances where I thought of selling all my micros and sticking to just the 4-5 mainstream brands for the peace of mind of being able to get them serviced/repaired reliably. And then I realize that there's no guarantee what might happen tomorrow. I could lose interest in the watch and decide to sell it. It might lose its charm for me and I might use the oppurtunity to acquire a new piece or heck I might not even be here tomorrow.

Seriously though, there are so many great micro brands out there, I think if you really like how well a watch is designed and executed, you should just get it, wear it and enjoy it to the fullest.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I get the concern, but I am much more concerned (which is still not at all, really) about the major brands. Ebauche or in-house, they all have weird little proprietary technology or parts (crown tubes, crystal gaskets, escapement tech, dial attachment, etc.) that are all wholly dependent on the brands survival, part stock, and willingness-to-service. Way scarier than running a miyota 9015. You can always (hopefully) find some schmuck to take some money to swap in another (or supercedent equivalent). Or, learn to do it yourself. The standardization is actually a boon to long-term ownership. I would venture that a NH35, Miyota 9000, or SW200 is going to be around and repairable longer than the Omega 8500, for instance.

All of the case, bracelet (even those might be generic/universal), dials, etc. are up-in-the-air. But, not common to need any of those replaced, I hope.\

There's a reason BMW charges so much and why everyone uses an LS_ for their custom builds.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts