WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is a reason they are a micro brand. Some times even bigger companies don't support their older models or price of service gets so high. Seiko doesn't support anything older than 5 years and on my 50 year old Datejust I quoted 5K by AD

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
There is a reason they are a micro brand. Some times even bigger companies don't support their older models or price of service gets so high. Seiko doesn't support anything older than 5 years and on my 50 year old Datejust I quoted 5K by AD
5K for what exactly? I am assuming it needed major repairs? Just trying to understand what's the scope of work that would demand ~60% of the current MSRP.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Did you talk directly with RSC? You also might try some independants. Rik Dietel does great work. Time Care Inc. - The Watch Repair Experts!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Many of you enjoy and buy micro brands. Do you think about long term ownership and what happens a few years down the road with repair or service? Will the company be around in say 15 years for parts or factory repair? I now some and don’t want to name them, that do not really sell parts or any service after the sale. This is a big concern for me and the main reason I do not have any micro brands in my small collection. How about you, how do you feel about this issue? Maybe the watch is cheap enough that you just don’t even worry about repair? Maybe the components, are generally generic enough that parts are no problem? Vance.
I do consider micros for long term ownership. Most of them do use common movements for which parts can be easily procured and the movements serviced by independents. However, certain parts may not be, i.e. bakelite Bezels for squale, etc.. crowns with brand engravings etc. It's down to a personal choice at the end of the day and how much you really like the timepiece. Godspeed!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Some big watch company's replace the movements if you send your watch to service(no repairs anymore ).

If you buy a microbrand watch look 1 if it has a standard watch movement like (Eta,Selitta,Seiko,Miyota).

A watchmaker can repair it and order parts if necessary !

For example:
If you are skilled, you can buy a Seiko NH35/36 for few bugs and replace the movement !

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Many of you enjoy and buy micro brands. Do you think about long term ownership and what happens a few years down the road with repair or service? Will the company be around in say 15 years for parts or factory repair? I now some and don’t want to name them, that do not really sell parts or any service after the sale. This is a big concern for me and the main reason I do not have any micro brands in my small collection. How about you, how do you feel about this issue? Maybe the watch is cheap enough that you just don’t even worry about repair? Maybe the components, are generally generic enough that parts are no problem? Vance.
I always assume that I'll receive little or no CS from any microbrand after purchasing a watch. It's one of the main reasons I'd never spend more than a few hundred with any microbrand, at most. Many of them contain the NH35 movement or similar anyway, so servicing and replacing the movement later isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
that's a tough one, but on microbrand watches, i don't worry that far down the road. i never worry about value retention w/any watch i buy or how i'm going to get it fixed if it breaks down. i collect them all because i really like them at the moment. probably a bad way to look at it, but that's just me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Microbrands are best purchased under the assumption that it’s not for life like a Rolex, it’s more like a laptop or television purchase. The movements will be easy enough to swap out, but other parts will not.

·
Premium Member
73,611 Posts
Not something to be overly concerned about IMO as some of the big boys wave the “we no longer support this” flag surprisingly soon and so long as the watch uses a standard movement you can easily get it serviced.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If the prospect of not having easily sourced replacement / repair parts is keeping you up at night I would recommend buying two identical watches.

OTOH, since you're a WUS member, what are the chances you'll still wear the same watch in 10-15-20 years? Especially a micro?

(Opening old watch drawer) "OMG, I'd forgotten about this ___, well, I've certainly changed my watch taste since I bought this in 2021!"

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Anyone can polish a case, replace a crystal. How many micros really use proprietary movements? I'm wearing a Vaer A12, powered by an ETA 7001. Even if Vaer cease to exist by the time this needs service, it wouldn't matter, as there are myriad places that could service this movement.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
I always assume that I'll receive little or no CS from any microbrand after purchasing a watch. It's one of the main reasons I'd never spend more than a few hundred with any microbrand, at most.
Strange... I've only every received brilliant CS from microbrands, usually the owner themselves providing the outstanding personal service.

My experience is: the larger the company, the worse the CS. Top marks for Zelos, NTH, and Traska. Slightly less personalized but still competent service from Archimede. Terrible CS from Seiko Service in NJ, USA.

·
Registered
93 Posts
5K for what exactly? I am assuming it needed major repairs? Just trying to understand what's the scope of work that would demand ~60% of the current MSRP.
According to AD they will have to send it to Switzerland because of the age of the watch. I opted out. Local master watch maker serviced it for less than two hundred dollars and it is keeping prefect time.

·
Premium Member
38,846 Posts
I do consider micros for long term ownership. Most of them do use common movements for which parts can be easily procured and the movements serviced by independents.

I agree.

Unless it is something specialized, I know my watchmaker can work on it if needed, so buying a micro brand and keeping it long term does not bother me in the least.....

·
Registered
35,602 Posts
Though maybe some bought a microbrand to get a fix :)
Quite true.

Im a hoarder more than a flipper, so most of mine just get added to the huge bucket of watches 🙄

·
Premium Member
10,003 Posts
AD + Rolex + Older Model Service = Absurd answer is par for the course with that company and its ADs. Glad you sorted it with a competent local watchmaker for $200!!

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess my thinking is more on parts like seals and crystals stem or crown parts. My Omega PO is over 15 years old and are the parts are still available, factory service done a looks great, running great after service. As noted above the same for Rolex. I sent in a Citizen Eco-Zilla, again 15 years old or more, they put in a new movement at no charge. New seals, tested for water resistance, came back working like new. I will say my 10 or more Seiko Watches have all been Quartz models, 7C46 , I have been a Tuna freak, still am. And just needed seals, new crystal and battery replacement, again no issues about age. Everything I have heard of Breitling, that even with my Chronomat, that is 20 years old there will be no problem with parts at service time. I do wonder about this with many of the micro brands. Vance.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
According to AD they will have to send it to Switzerland because of the age of the watch. I opted out. Local master watch maker serviced it for less than two hundred dollars and it is keeping prefect time.
Sending to Rolex wonderland is irritating but understandable to an extent, given the age of the watch. But quoting 5K for <$200 work is just absolute BS if you ask me!

But I am glad you were able to get it sorted out locally.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts