WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've now had this for a month or thereabout, so I think I can give a reasonably balanced impression. As some of you might remember, I picked thisone up based on forum recommendations in the theme of "give me a rock-solid watch in $xyz limit".

So. Dagaz Thunderbolt.

Quarterview2.jpg

Overall, I like it a lot. It is primarily pilot-themed, but not to full X-uhr accuracy. But, it has very clear, very readable numerals, very clear broad hands, and a date wheel that doesn't ... entirely... ruin the design. Bead-blasted finish on SS case, with very little to no frills (and almost no moving parts save the crown). The crystal is sapphire and double-domed, so no distortion. The caseback is domed as well, and sort of reminds me of Capn. America's shield. Surprisingly comfortable to wear.

RearView.jpg

The watch boasts a 150m water-resistance rating. The crown is triple-sealed and screw-down, so, to be honest, this feels a lot more water-proof than every other watch I've had. And thanks to the smooth, prominent crown guards, there's basically 0% chance of it snagging on anything. As a matter of fact, the entire watch is very smooth and non-snaggy. Fits under sleeves very well, doesn't catch on anything, and doesn't hang off the wrist like a rock. Partly due to the caseback dome, it also sits very deep "into" the wrist, resulting in an extremely low profile. It's already thin - 11mm - and taking the caseback dome away, the true elevation is closer to 8mm (with 4-5 of those being sloped bezel + crystal dome). In short: This watch is very, very thin. I bet using the 9015 movement helped achieve that...

SideShot.jpg

There is one downside, though, and it's to do with the diver's extension on the clasp. It's just not secure enough. In a locked position, the clasp has enough room to allow the dive extension to pull out (especially if you pull the back-end of the clasp away from the wrist, it will decouple, guaranteed). And due to the end-link design, you can't just remove the dive-extension either. Frankly, I'd much rather not have it at all, instead of it being a liability.

ClaspIssue.jpg

Beyond that, though.. I have no other complaints. It looks good, in a utilitarian sort of way, it's very clear, it has all the right specs (8-beat movement, sapphire, 316L steel, good waterproofing, nothing wobbly on the case, nothing squeaky about the bracelet), and it's a micro. Basically, I'd go so far as to say, if the Damasko DA36 is out of your price-range, this is probably the next best alternative for a third/quarter the price. But, something should be done about the clasp, imo, for whenever the v2 model comes out.

Anyways. Not much time, so can't post much these days. Hope this quick pseudoreview will be helpful to someone, though.

Quarterview.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
Excellent pix and review. Thanks kindly. There's not a whole lot of info out there on this piece, so from someone considering picking up a Thunderbolt, this is much appreciated. Would love to see a wrist shot, if you have one handy.

Would also like to hear your opinion about the dial--not the design so much, as that's pretty evident, but how it appears, if you will. I love Jake's (Dagaz) watches by and large but have been frustrated by some--not all--of his dials, which can appear a little plasticky, a little cheap-looking, in person. Any thoughts welcome.

Enjoy your Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would also like to hear your opinion about the dial--not the design so much, as that's pretty evident, but how it appears, if you will. I love Jake's (Dagaz) watches by and large but have been frustrated by some--not all--of his dials, which can appear a little plasticky, a little cheap-looking, in person.
Hmm. Well, it is a bit like matte plastic; the surface does not look 'inky' or reflective. The indices look good, they have a high rise and actually do add some depth to the dial. Logo and text printing is good and contoured as well, imo. But, the black itself, yeah, it looks like a plastic material (and, probably, it actually is). The topmost picture is basically accurate in the dial-colour aspect, at least to my eyes.

·
Premium Member
40,152 Posts
Nice write up. I like the dial but I do wish there was a surface somewhere that wasn't beadblasted - just a little brushed surface somewhere would break it up enough.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmm. Well, it is a bit like matte plastic; the surface does not look 'inky' or reflective. The indices look good, they have a high rise and actually do add some depth to the dial. Logo and text printing is good and contoured as well, imo. But, the black itself, yeah, it looks like a plastic material (and, probably, it actually is). The topmost picture is basically accurate in the dial-colour aspect, at least to my eyes.
That's a really terrific explanation--precisely what I was getting at. Very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how's the lume?
Seems good. Quite sensitive to sunlight, so charges fast. Very clear green glow (looks very much like seiko lume). Note that the seconds hand and minute track are not lumed, only the hour indices, numerals, and 2 big hands glow. No idea how long it holds (don't really do lume tests). Wherever there is lume, though, there's a thick layer of it, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Good review and thanks. It's hard to find concise, clean reviews of microbrands. This looks like a terrific watch, especially for the price.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
This one is actually on my list the next time there is a sale or one floats up on the sales forum. A 9015 movement and decent WR plus lume for this price is decent.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts