WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been concentrating my attention on microbrands, because for me they offer some things I wouldn't get from established brands (design combination + size, interestingly enough, sometimes I find theirs to be way better adapted to my 6" wrist). The most important things I'm looking for are: a) it doesn't look cheap, and b) it's great value for money (i.e. good craftsmanship, looks much higher quality than its price).

Whether they're as overhyped as craft beers is another story, but I generally like what they seem to offer as far as price/value goes. I also like craft beer, though I don't think they can ever beat a good Belgian, and same goes for watches I guess. I don't think they can replace a 'real piece of horological significance' (whatever your definition of that might be), they're more of a painless purchase of something attractive, a snack to sate me while I wait for the full course. A snack, of course, can either be deep-frozen chicken nuggets, or a toast with wild catch salmon and radish sauce.

Having said that, I'm not trying to bait or start a flame war on "redefining affordable luxury" (heh-heh). I'm only asking for opinions on a specific brand (perhaps in comparison with others, if you like). Would you know anything about it? Does it hold a lot of value for the price? Most importantly, do you think it would look cheap?

The brand in question today is Don Kylne.
Looking for something with that kind of cushion case.

Retrospect Review: Don Kylne Chaplin - Watchisthis

https://monochrome-watches.com/don-kylne-co-watch-price/

Don Kylne &Co. Tastefully Different.

Fashion accessory Gemstone Auto part Automotive lighting Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

A lot going for it, as far as I can see from the reviews/pictures:
- nice case (also well-made from back).
- perfect size (for me) and good wrist presence.
- attention to detail: clean execution, nice crown, the side engraving, and even the tiny index markers near the numerals are different - blue rhombi at 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock. Lovely hands. Nicely off-centre small seconds placement.
- clean, dressy but quirky look (my thing).

By the way, is it a direct copy of some vintage model? Couldn't find any comments on that.

However, one thing that put me off was an eyecancerous video on Youtube, of some fashion guy talking about it. It's unfortunately the only live video of the watch out there, it seems (and it's the gold-plated version which I don't like). Kinda made me stop and think - woah, is this really the image this watch projects?.. Does the wrist presence here come off as "in your face"?
Yes, I know, "just wear whatever you like", but if after some months I suddenly think "damn, what have I bought", that's hardly a positive outcome. I haven't worn anything with that much obvious wrist presence before.

Or, would it be so in general - if you wear an eye-catching design that doesn't come from a recognised, respected watch brand, do you immediately place yourself too close for comfort to fashion brands?

Maybe I should just save and go for something like an Olivier Jonquiet Carosse - however, the trouble with that price segment is that there's way more other dressy watches that I like.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Are you sure the projected "image" that turned you off was from the watch and not the image of the guy doing the review.

The watch itself is kinda middle of the road value proposition IMO. You could do better and you certainly can do a lot worse, so if you like the watch's aesthetic buy it. It's not like you're getting fleeced on the deal.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
Hmm. Instead of this micro, you could go with a Smiths PRS-36, as they aren't that expensive and sport a nice handwound movement in a retro aesthetic...
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

(Btw... That Carosse, in all reality I' rather save up for that, instead of going for the prs or the chaplin. Both of those look derviative, wheras the Carosse feels unique. And if you just want a dressy affordable pillow-shaped watch, you might as well get a Melbourne Watch Co's Carlton).

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Not a bad look, I like it but I went with Glycine's Eugene Meylan for a similar look . . .

Attachments

Reactions: X2-Elijah

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
The Don Klyne Chaplin's have a wonderful aesthetic, especially the engraving on the case. The big issue lies with the placement of the sub second dial; the asymmetry is off-putting to my eyes, and Don Klyne would have been better off going for a center second hand.

As for alternatives? If you can find it, there's the Hamilton Jazzmaster Cushion, which is on my long-term buy list:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Also, there's the Melbourne Watch Co.'s Carlton watches, which are also very nice (photo courtesy of the Time Bum):
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

And for the smooth-sweeping second hand of a Bulova Precisionist quartz movement, there's the Accutron II Surveyor and the ever-popular Precisionist Military (latter photo courtesy of WUS member BarryS:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Whichever you choose, wear it in great health!

Reactions: MisterV and Brey17

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
To me it looks very generic. Almost like someone just over sanded and polished a catalog, cushion case. The numbers look weird, and the lugs look thin and weak. The straight screws to hold the strap on do not look good.

It does look like a comfortable watch though.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you sure the projected "image" that turned you off was from the watch and not the image of the guy doing the review.

The watch itself is kinda middle of the road value proposition IMO. You could do better and you certainly can do a lot worse, so if you like the watch's aesthetic buy it. It's not like you're getting fleeced on the deal.
That guy could've turned me off buying a Laurent Ferrier tbh. You're right, I know it's a largely irrelevant influence, but it made me suddenly consider the whole "fashion" aspect. Usually it's not a good sign if something is promoted through such channels (although you can't be picky with what business you get, I suppose).

Hmm. Instead of this micro, you could go with a Smiths PRS-36, as they aren't that expensive and sport a nice handwound movement in a retro aesthetic...
View attachment 10605226

(Btw... That Carosse, in all reality I' rather save up for that, instead of going for the prs or the chaplin. Both of those look derviative, wheras the Carosse feels unique. And if you just want a dressy affordable pillow-shaped watch, you might as well get a Melbourne Watch Co's Carlton).
While the Carosse does feel unique, it might be a bit too playful for my tastes even. We'll see, there's just way too much competition in the 1-3k range. It almost feels like I should skip that altogether and only save for something much more expensive.
The Smiths does look nice, probably the closest competition so far. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the dial composition. It's a lot more restrained for sure, but, hm, maybe a bit plain. Then again, I'm vacillating between "this is too playful" and "this is not playful enough".

The Melbourne is an interesting proposition, but it's a) too big, b) quartz, c) sold out. It also feels somewhat less special.

The Don Klyne Chaplin's have a wonderful aesthetic, especially the engraving on the case. The big issue lies with the placement of the sub second dial; the asymmetry is off-putting to my eyes, and Don Klyne would have been better off going for a center second hand.

As for alternatives? If you can find it, there's the Hamilton Jazzmaster Cushion, which is on my long-term buy list:
[..]

Also, there's the Melbourne Watch Co.'s Carlton watches, which are also very nice (photo courtesy of the Time Bum):
[..]

And for the smooth-sweeping second hand of a Bulova Precisionist quartz movement, there's the Accutron II Surveyor and the ever-popular Precisionist Military (latter photo courtesy of WUS member BarryS:
[..]
As much as the Jazzmaster is a solid, classic offering, I'm more attracted to the playful design of the Chaplin, not to mention it's probably a lot more expensive. And I really like the asymmetrical small seconds. It's part of all the little extra quirks that make it worth a second look.
The Surveyor I actually considered (am considering still?). It's a really nice offering for the price. The Military on the other hand - I appreciate that coin bezels were probably more authentic, but I only like them in some few models.

To me it looks very generic. Almost like someone just over sanded and polished a catalog, cushion case. The numbers look weird, and the lugs look thin and weak. The straight screws to hold the strap on do not look good.

It does look like a comfortable watch though.
See, that's an interesting angle. If anything I would imagine people could accuse the watch of being too playful, - that non-serious approach to timepieces that aims to create something original, and, without much taste, goes overboard and just becomes kitsch - which is why I thought of 'fashion' watches. Personally I really don't think this is the case here (although I would perhaps reduce the size of the numerals to make it slightly more restrained, and it does look somewhat over-polished). It is my main source of apprehension - that it looks like "oh I bought this for my Gatsby theme party for 30 bucks off ebay".
Again from what I can see, I don't think it's the case, but I wanted to see what kind of am impression it gives.

Fashion accessory Jewellery Silver Ring Engagement ring

The side engravings btw (not present on the pics in the 1st post) don't cost extra and I think really add to it, making it something else than just a polished cushion case. Personal taste, of course, never thought I'd like anything paisley-like, but things change. I also don't know about watchmaking in itself to judge how generic a case is, but in my searches so far I haven't seen this type of combination. It makes me think of... A gift watch from grateful colleagues to some retiring medium-sized company manager/station master in the 20s, with a custom engraving and his initials on the crown (they couldn't afford something expensive, but they made sure it was tasteful). Somehow it just exudes a certain sense of history, family and warmth. No idea how that picture creates these associations, but there you go.:think:

Thanks for the suggestions though everyone, it's great to see a selection and more options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.