WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the growing presence of microbrand watches, maybe it would help for the WUS moderators to create a Microbrands subforum in the Themes forum? Seems like it would be a convenient and appropriate place to collect all threads on microbrand watches. Could make searching easier too. Of course there's no clearcut definition of what's a microbrand but the mods and WUS members looking to post there can use their discretion.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Totally agree and don't know why this hasn't been done yet. Probably due to politics, revenue, etc.

Most of the micro presence on WUS is in the Affordable and Dive watches subforums.

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
I’m OK with how it is now since I’m 99pct about microbrand divers but I understand why many may want that forum.

·
Premium Member
40,900 Posts
"Accurately define," perhaps not, but the same could be said about "affordable."
True, but affordability is related to price so although there is no hard limit everyone understands that it is the lower end of the price scale.

As for microbrand, does that relate to price, number of watches sold per year, age of brand, number of employees, origin of components, style of watch, etc?
With one parameter (price) it's ok for the boundary to be a bit woolly. With many, its just a mess.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Personaly I think number of employees, number of watches produced, is about it. Price doesn't really come into play, age of brand doesn't matter, what am I missing? Can't be owned by a holding company ( part of Swatch) for example.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree, there should be a dedicated forum for microbrands. They're an increasingly prominent and important part of the watch world, and are discussed here constantly. I shouldn't have to go all over the darn place to see items on Monta, Halios, Brellum, Farer, etc. I'm sure criteria can be put together for how brands are selected for it, and as questions come up the mods/administrators can add or subtract brands from that forum.

·
Premium Member
40,900 Posts
Personaly I think number of employees, number of watches produced, is about it. Price doesn't really come into play, age of brand doesn't matter, what am I missing? Can't be owned by a holding company ( part of Swatch) for example.

So Roger Smith would be a microbrand, same as the newest kickstarter company?

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,393 Posts
That would make D.Dornblüth & Sohn, Benzinger, Felipe Pikullik, Steffen Cornehl, Stefan Kudoke, Lang & Heyne, Rolf Heyne microbrands ?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
So Roger Smith would be a microbrand, same as the newest kickstarter company?
Maybe I've Never heard of him, how many employees does he have, is he as big as Seiko? Is he part of a holding company? How many watches does he sell? How many employees does he have?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
That would make D.Dornblüth & Sohn, Benzinger, Felipe Pikullik, Steffen Cornehl, Stefan Kudoke, Lang & Heyne, Rolf Heyne microbrands ?
Also never heard of those, how many watches do they sell individually and/or collectively? Are they owned by a holding company? Age of company is irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts