WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad, in his 90's, is pretty bedbound now. He was complaining his watch wasn't keeping good time. I figured it keeps stopping because . . . . well, he's pretty bedbound. So I thought I'd wear it for a while and start moving it around". The first day I wore it, it was running 10 minutes fast PER HOUR! - 4 days later now, its only running 4 minutes fast / hour. I'm sure my dad bought it new, back in the day. I'm also guessing it
has never been serviced. Beautiful watch, I figure 1965-66 - Plain Omega Automatic, (bottom of the face is plain) with Dagger hands. Will open the screw-back tonight and get specs - Any thoughts of "where to start" - I have taken apart and rebuilt anything and everything . . . . . except a nice watch.
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Watch accessory

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome. Good luck. I don’t think that you’re going to find many folks that would advocate for your first watch repair attempt to be on one that your Dad has had for 50+ years.

Check out the cost of decent watch repair tools. That’s not even including parts. I was thinking of trying to replace the movement in one of my other watches, but decided it wasn’t worth it to me (maybe see how much a service would cost, while you’re researching things).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Good luck. I don’t think that you’re going to find many folks that would advocate for your first watch repair attempt to be on one that your Dad has had for 50+ years.

Check out the cost of decent watch repair tools. That’s not even including parts. I was thinking of trying to replace the movement in one of my other watches, but decided it wasn’t worth it to me (maybe see how much a service would cost, while you’re researching things).
Thank you :) I completely understand. I, initially, was hoping to just open the back and R the time a bit. UNTIL, I read enough to learn that many of the "slight adjustments", are people fighting for 2 seconds a day! I'm way out of that spec. After opening the back, I am surmising there were multiple servicings, due to additional markings in the back of the case. see pics. Any thoughts about why it would run that fast? 4m / hr, that's huge!
Font Gas Nickel Circle Bottle cap
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Well, the watch has clearly been serviced many times - you can see the marks from previous watchmakers on the inside of the case back. It is in need of servicing again clearly. The rotor has wear on it from rubbing on the inside of the case back. Trying to regulate a watch that is in need of servicing is wasted effort.

You need to find a watchmaker, preferably one with an Omega parts account (this is going to require parts) who can perform a proper service on this.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, good insights. Curiously, since it had stopped again (from not wearing it) prior to me removing the back, Today its been keeping good time. Will see what happens the next few days. Only thought i have at this moment is maybe I didn't put the back on as tight? Have no idea what difference that would make. Even if it was impeding the rotor, that shouldn't effect it keeping time? (the signs are clearly there on the case-back). Will update the accuracy tomorrow. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
you know just the other day I was thinking about rebuilding a jet engine
so I looked in my toolbox and don't have the right tools, or manuals or experience
take it to a watchmaker and as stated by Al ask if he has any vintage Omega experience

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love it! Advice accepted! You guys remind me of me. I have been a professional contractor and GC for 30 years, I can do almost all work myself. But, I'm also smart enough to know when to defer to my subs :) I do have a driving instinct though, to want to understand how the damn thing works!

Thank you all - message received

1 - 8 of 8 Posts