WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , first off I have been browsing this forum for a few days now and have managed to learn more about watches that I thought possible. The only problem is a little bit of knowledge is dangerous and now I am ready to give up in looking for the perfect watch as there doesn’t seem to be one.

I have searched for Skeleton watches on this forum and gone through a fair few threads. The link below was a very good source of information
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/help-buying-skeleton-watch-488085.html
My issue is I would like a Skeleton watch but my price range seems to be going against me at the moment for what I like. I like full skeleton watches preferably with as much movement as possible ( I simply love watching them) and also I prefer a seconds hand. Either they are really cheap ranging from £80 to about - £150 or really expensive £600+. My issue is my price range is in the middle £300 to absolute max of £400 (unless I absolutely love it ?). So about $468-$625. All the onses ranging from about £200-£300 seem to be the inflated, will break after a week brands.

I seem to like the garish Skelton watches that are not very popular on here like invicta, and Theorema. The latter was discussed in the linked thread which is a pity as this was my favourite.. From reading I have learnt that a lot of these Chinese watches simply take cheep parts or reject parts from other watches and then inflate the price. So I will go through the watches I have seen, please help if you can.
- Invicta seems to have a really bad name on here
- Ingersoll. This is what got me into skeletonised watches but he watch I bought came to me broken so returned it and started the search and realised there are much nicer watches.
- Therorema. This is the perfect style but have read that this uses Hangzhou which you can get cheap so no point paying the prices Therorema want. Shame I REALLY like the style
- Jules Audemars. Looked at a watch that looked good read the specification and they use Seagull but again are more expensive
- Stuhrling – I like these but as I have more money to play with I thought I would use it.
- Swatch body and soul – suggested by many but a tad small
- Rotary Vintage – just doesn’t have the sparkle Im looking for
- seagull – seem to be the preferred choice but again I have a bit more money to play with
- Rougious I have heard nothing about this brand but it doesn’t fill me with confidence that they are meant to be $500 but then reduced to $200. Never really a good sign
- Andoid - These i like but the Bezel is so thick but is a possibiulity

Virtuoso 45 Tungsten Skeleton

I think I blabbed on enough. Any help would be appreciated

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Sorry to say but for a good skeleton you have to pay much more than £600+. With your limit I'd go either chinese or vintage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to say but for a good skeleton you have to pay much more than £600+. With your limit I'd go either chinese or vintage.
Thank i thought as much. im Kind of stuck in the middle of not really wanting many of the cheaper version but cannot really afford £600+. Hmm been looking at a few more Androids and im coming around to them

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
On rare occasion I see a use Oris Artelier Skeleton go for around $1000. It's a fairly standard ETA, but I've held one and it did look quite nice.

·
Registered
800 Posts
What watches do you currently own?

If you currently do not have any quality watches in your collection, I would advise putting the majority of your available funds towards a more classic, versatile piece, and buy a cheaper skeleton, for kicks.

If you already have a good piece, I say save up and buy a better quality skeleton.

I like the Oris. I have friends that have the Android and the Kenneth Cole skeleton, and they are fine for the money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On rare occasion I see a use Oris Artelier Skeleton go for around $1000. It's a fairly standard ETA, but I've held one and it did look quite nice.
wow nice watch but currently coming in at about £1200, not dollars. Way out of my price range but a very nice.

What watches do you currently own?

If you currently do not have any quality watches in your collection, I would advise putting the majority of your available funds towards a more classic, versatile piece, and buy a cheaper skeleton, for kicks.

If you already have a good piece, I say save up and buy a better quality skeleton.

I like the Oris. I have friends that have the Android and the Kenneth Cole skeleton, and they are fine for the money.
I own 2 watches both are for everyday use. The first is a Seiko which is also used for an ocassion a siute is needed as my second one would look a little out of place

Other Seiko watches - SNA525P1 | SEIKO UK Limited

The second is a complete fashion watch that i paid too much money for but heh i like the strap and i had got a new job so thought [email protected] it. To be fair i wear it all the time so i dont regret it. Not exactly suitable when wearing a suit though

THOMAS SABO

Cheers for the info on Android as i think i have pretty much decided to go with them as have found the watch cheaper than i hoped so cant go wrong. Although i think in a few years i am ging to have to go for the Toubillon skeleton as that just looks very nice

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If your looking for a skeleton just because you want to enjoy the movement, it makes no difference how much it cost, there many fine quality made watches in your price range.

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Cheers for the info on Android as i think i have pretty much decided to go with them as have found the watch cheaper than i hoped so cant go wrong. Although i think in a few years i am ging to have to go for the Toubillon skeleton as that just looks very nice
Your choice. I'd save up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If your looking for a skeleton just because you want to enjoy the movement, it makes no difference how much it cost, there many fine quality made watches in your price range.
Such as?

The only reason i wanted a more expensive (all relative) version is simply as i had the momey for it, so figured i might as well. Except as i said £300- £400 is smack bang in the middle of; You have more money than most watches will cost you but no way near enough for a really good one :)

So as you say i have settled on the less expensive version and save my money. Android seems to be the way to go for me as have found the watch below for about $220

Virtuoso 45 Tungsten Skeleton

I also managed to to find a vid showing it. On that note i found it really hard finding videos of Android phones i think they should really market better. A pic does wonders but seeing it on vid is key for me
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeOaug1HXBE&feature=related#t=00m49s

·
Registered
800 Posts
wow nice watch but currently coming in at about £1200, not dollars. Way out of my price range but a very nice.

I own 2 watches both are for everyday use. The first is a Seiko which is also used for an ocassion a siute is needed as my second one would look a little out of place

Other Seiko watches - SNA525P1 | SEIKO UK Limited

The second is a complete fashion watch that i paid too much money for but heh i like the strap and i had got a new job so thought [email protected] it. To be fair i wear it all the time so i dont regret it. Not exactly suitable when wearing a suit though

THOMAS SABO

Like I said, I have a friend that bought the Android and he's happy with it, and hasn't had any problems, as far as I know. Although I don't know the price of the watch, he buys in the real affordable range, so it can't be that much. If it fills the void for a skeleton for you right now at a low price while you get your funding in order, I don't think it's a bad deal.

Basically, right now you have a couple of bangers for everyday use. Imo, you should try to put your big money towards a better piece in your collection, something more classic and versatile than skeleton look. Every man needs at least one good watch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basically, right now you have a couple of bangers for everyday use. Imo, you should try to put your big money towards a better piece in your collection, something more classic and versatile than skeleton look. Every man needs at least one good watch.
This did make me luagh :) i can assure you they were not bangers at the time i bought them, at least not to me (Then again readying this site i can see why you would think that.). Until i really started researching watches then i got the bug and want a fair few that are really really out of my price range.

I know what you mean though i would really like a good watch but then i think i could go on holiday instead. Maybe at my next pay rise or new job i will treat myself

·
Registered
800 Posts
This did make me luagh :) i can assure you they were not bangers at the time i bought them, at least not to me (Then again readying this site i can see why you would think that.). Until i really started researching watches then i got the bug and want a fair few that are really really out of my price range.

I know what you mean though i would really like a good watch but then i think i could go on holiday instead. Maybe at my next pay rise or new job i will treat myself
Sorry man, please don't misunderstand me. Beaters and bangers are just a term used around here for everyday watches. It doesn't necessarily mean that the watches are beat or banged up (although some people do beat the hell out of them lol). Everyone of us has beaters. Didn't mean it like that. Just meant to say that it's better to put your money where you can get the most use out of it, know what I mean? It's a good idea to treat yourself at your next pay raise. Just do you homework and stay away from impulse buys, they'll kill your wallet and you will end up with too much of a good thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry man, please don't misunderstand me. Beaters and bangers are just a term used around here for everyday watches. It doesn't necessarily mean that the watches are beat or banged up (although some people do beat the hell out of them lol). Everyone of us has beaters. Didn't mean it like that. Just meant to say that it's better to put your money where you can get the most use out of it, know what I mean? It's a good idea to treat yourself at your next pay raise. Just do you homework and stay away from impulse buys, they'll kill your wallet and you will end up with too much of a good thing.
Yes i completely misunderstood you, my mistake. I think after this watch i will save up for a nice one and then leave it for a good few years. Otherwise im rarely going to wear the watches as will have to many

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
You should have seen the fireworks when I asked the Tissot fans in their forum that I was looking for a good quartz beater and how well they had liked their SeaTouches. Apparently they don't deal with the same WIS dialect we do here in the big'city main forum.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You should have seen the fireworks when I asked the Tissot fans in their forum that I was looking for a good quartz beater and how well they had liked their SeaTouches. Apparently they don't deal with the same WIS dialect we do here in the big'city main forum.
Haha, funny. I wouldn't expect this unless they were relatively new,and not used to the terminology.

I also find it funny when I poke through the High End forum, and guys talk about their beaters being Omegas, Rolexes, and Breitlings.
You should've told the Tissot forum posters if they really wanted to feel bad to stop in there. Nothing like finding out some guy is wearing one of your dream watches while he is changing the oil on his car :)

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Not a big fan of cheap skeleton as they are difficult to read time at a glance and cheap ones are not really well finished either so it does not really afford much viewing pleasure.
(simple machine carved scrolls around the bridge areas only)

I say if you really want quality skeleton, you should save up IMHO.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Take a look at the Seagull M182SK. It's a quality piece for the price, straight from the company that builds the movement and goes back to 1955.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts