WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am following the Midjourney page closely on FB.
Some wonderful stuff I see people doing. (OK, a lot is also crap: same old tiresome Star Wars, Marvel, etc. )

I have not yet seen anyone use it for designing watches, which is a surprise, as the program would be excellent for that.
I myself intend to learn and use it very soon.
Has anyone here tried it?
When / If you do, post your designs here.

Here's a random example of what some people are producing, often with little or NO background in art or design.
Not a watch, but this gives you some idea of the level of detail, etc.

Camera Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory

· Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is nothing more useful than to leave specific processes to computers, but when it's about creativity, that's when humans are the kings.
Indeed, (so far) it's only the human mind that can interpret and transform.

But what the AI assembles in mere minutes is a very helpful instigator / initiator of ideas.... much like random chords produced by a cat walking on the piano might be for a musician, or some urine stains on a wall is to a painter.

“You should look at certain walls stained with damp, or at stones of uneven color. If you have to invent some backgrounds you will be able to see in these the likeness of divine landscapes, adorned with mountains, ruins, rocks, woods, great plains, hills and valleys in great variety; and then again you will see there battles and strange figures in violent action, expressions of faces and clothes and an infinity of things which you will be able to reduce to their complete and proper forms. In such walls the same thing happens as in the sound of bells, in whose stroke you may find every named word which you can imagine.”

― Leonardo da Vinci, A Treatise on Painting

· Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It rendered a watch. Meh.
View attachment 17177925
Hey, fun topic, thanks for starting an original thread. They’re getting rare around here. 😉

Here’s what the artist.ai App spit out
View attachment 17178479

View attachment 17178480

View attachment 17178478

AI is notorious for having problem with human hands: it tends to draw more than 5 fingers per hand.

IDK why this is the case, but it seems AI is having probs with drawing all kinds of hands.
Why are all the hands bent? Weird.

· Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If somebody made this watch I'd buy it. San Martin should start designing their original watches using MJ, this is certainly a lot more interesting than anything they've come up with on their own.

Aye! True that! I'd totally buy that one !
Even the "photoshoot" was done nicely, with all late afternoon soft light 'n shieh, like it was for a Penthouse issue or som'm. (y) :geek:

· Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have mixed feelings about the near future in which we will (probably) see a great sea change in how the watch industry will go about presenting their next line of products.

It will change the prototype-making, and funding process. No need for laborious renderings, no photoshop.
Consumers will have dozens even hundreds to choose from, and vote on, before the manufacturer makes even one actual watch.

· Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't see watch companies firing their designers and dumping CAD programs any time soon. Watches are kinda precise things. That requires precise design tools, which AI most definitely is not.
I am not denying the need for the human element. (But who knows for how long?)
I was thinking more that designers will have hundreds upon hundreds of Ai made designs to refine.

"Rough sketches" so to speak, except a LOT less rough, and so many to choose from, so the task of refining will be that much easier and faster.

· Registered
18,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Original? I think it might be a homage to this thread.. ;)
D'OH! Didnt know this existed.

But the examples there make for an educational comparison, and to Midge's (short for Midjourney) advantage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts