WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I bought this Mido recently.
In my opinion is in extremely good condition but have some doubts about the hands:think:. I've made some research and never encountered this kind of "old style" hands on this watches.
The movement needs service...
Your wise thoughts are much appreciated!;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
The hands should be dauphin styled. Also the movement should be Mido and not Mulco. The watch looks like a marriage of parts to me. It looks nothing like the Mido's I have from the period.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,881 Posts
The hands should be dauphin styled. Also the movement should be Mido and not Mulco. The watch looks like a marriage of parts to me. It looks nothing like the Mido's I have from the period.
The movement is obviously an Adolf Schild AS 1250:

bidfun-db AS_1250: AS 1250

There is no indication in Ranfft's calibre list that Mido used this movement, even under their own designation. That is not absolute proof that the movement is entirely unoriginal to the watch in question but it does support the notion.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
In a fit of udder stupidity, I bought this for about $45 w/shipping about 2 years ago.

The movement appears to be in as sad shape as the dial... This watch's station in life is to serve as a learning experience. It has already done some of that. Soon it will be serving as a cadaver for my anatomy and surgery classes :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Interesting watch Eeeb. The dial and hands do not seem so bad, is it truly irredeemable? I kinda like it :-!

I really recommend the cheap new 3 x Chinese watch route. At least they work when you start - so you know you got it right. Perhaps when you have a few of those under your belt you may actually be able to salvage this one...

I started with a few old and non working AS cal. and then switched to some specially purchased Chinese movements, I think had I done it the other way around I would have been able to save the AS movements.

K.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The watch looks so nice to me that I did not even notice the Mulco movement! They are both very similar, even the name!!:oops:
Lucky enough, the seller seems to be a serious one and I'm now in the process of cancelling the transaction before it's to late!:rodekaart
I love you guys! You've been most helpful! :thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
(Referring to the first post) Looks like what you have is a marriage watch.
The dial and case are certainly Mido and original (2tone dial is in great shape I like it).
As suggested earlier by Emanuel, I don't find this type of hands suitable to the design, nor the period.
These are normally radium filled military style hands, as in Eeeb's example.
While this is a rather very common AS ebauche, it is very likely someone replaced the hammer (or the whole movement) to a one 'Mulco' at some time.
The movement and dial were not born in the same factory with the movement (or at least the rotor part).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here my Mido

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts