WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Rainbow watch​

Sorry for my English (google translator) I hope it is understandable..

The original version of this watch was the Powerwind 1000 ref. 5907 from 1961, was part of the Ocean Star line, launched in 1959 just at the time when amateur scuba diving was really taking off all over the world.

The watch was not produced for a long time, it went out of production in 1965. As a result, the Powerwind 1000, whose name refers to its water resistance of 300 meters, has become a highly coveted collector's item among sports enthusiasts. diving watches. (.. real: D).
So coveted and sought after in the world to bring the price even above 7000 and up to 10,000 dollars
and to stimulate Mido to make a Limited Edition to ONLY 1961 pieces ALL OVER THE WORLD

In the eyes of the inexperienced this colorful dial could lead to debut:
"Nice watch for summer!", Also nicknamed Rainbow Watch by many, while its decompression table was designed to be really VITAL for a diver in those years and to be highly visible.
Here is the varied choice of colors that instead takes you back to distant, pioneering dives, with a timepiece that made history (.. could I let it escape?).

This is probably one of the most anticipated summer novelties for the year 2020, this time for the Heritage collection the policy of the Limited Edition of 1961 pieces in the world has been chosen, a perfect choice not to inflate a watch so rare and precious also in economic terms. ..

The news that Mido had planned to bring it back "to life" was released a few months ago and the watch immediately sold out, as usual it is the result of very high speculations and we are already double the price (Price List $1.3)
already only 14 days after the official release.

The Ocean Star is one of Mido's iconic lines and was inspired by the lighthouse on the southeastern tip of the Rock of Gibraltar at Europa Point. First lit in 1841, this famous lighthouse is positioned on the Strait of Gibraltar, where the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea meet.

This area is known for its changing seas, strong currents and fog, which make the lighthouse one of the most famous lighthouses in the maritime world. Mido's Ocean Star collection dates back to 1944 and was inspired by this lighthouse's role in protecting sailors.

If the dial is delightfully anachronistic, the movement is truly modern; inside there is the Mido Caliber 80,

which has a power reserve of 80 hours. The movement is part of a general trend across the Swatch Group to equip its watches with spirals that offer better resistance to magnetism than conventional Nivarox-type alloys and to also offer longer power reserves. The movement is an updated version of the ETA C07.621; it should really offer good performance thanks to the new alloys applied.

Case: stainless steel
Dimensioni: 40.50 mm
Distanza fra le anse: 21.00 mm
Impermeabilità all'acqua: 20 bar (200 m / 660 ft) con corona a vite
Vetro: Vetro zaffiro
Altezza della cassa: 13.43 mm
Automatico Mido Calibro 80 (base ETA C07.621)
Bracciale in acciaio e due cinturini aggiuntivi in pelle (con sgancio rapido delle spring)
Edizione Limitata 1961 esemplari nel mondo

The usual photos show a watch to which MIDO has paid great attention to detail,
from the packaging, to the cards to the real build quality

The compressed cardboard packaging denotes the class with which MIDO wants to show off
its Limited Edition

The Official card testifies to the case and serial number

The watch in its re-edition did not overstep in terms of size (as most of the time happens)
but it remained in a human and decent size in its 40.5mm trying to mirror
the measures that once accompanied many cases.

On the wrist it leaves you breathless, you want for the quality of the finishing and polishing,
either for this sapphire dome that at the ends deforms the edges of the dial with optical illusions,
you want for its colors that I assure you are less bright than what any photo represents

Here in full sun, not easy photos, insert with well-made font and size
and important DOT at 12 with SL, I find the trapezoid window very beautiful
with black date disc and white numbers

Luckily they didn't make a rear porthole (even if the cal. 80 is very well finished) and they opted for a solid background that portrays the starfish and where the various writings that distinguish it the features are very, very discreet.

Finally, the Lume, unfortunately the new generation smartphone do not accept photos in the dark
and they try to correct them by automatically increasing the light, so we have to be content,
spheres, indexes and Arabic numerals are treated with S.L., same thing for the Dot.

Very special watch that I thought should not be missing in my collection,
MIDO of the Swatch group wanted to donate this splendid re-edition to lucky 1961s (including myself).

Thanks for your attention and patience

MDT from Italy

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Wonderful writeup! Thank you for the great review. I'd love to find one of these one day.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,282 Posts
Great pictures of a very nice watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgive the newbie question, but why do the numbers on the bezel increase counterclockwise. That's opposite of how I have always used my dive watches.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Forgive the newbie question, but why do the numbers on the bezel increase counterclockwise. That's opposite of how I have always used my dive watches.
I think it’s a countdown- rather than a time-elapse bezel. I’m speculating here, but I think the concentric rings give you decompression times for a given max dive depth (25, 30, 35 and 40 meters). You plan your max depth, say 30 m, which gives you a no-dec time of 20 min, so you set your 20 min mark on the bezel to your minute hand as you descend. It counts down to zero, and you start to ascend when it hits zero. The various markings on the concentric rings give you dec times (usually how long you have to hang around 6m/20ft) - maybe the bezel features into this - don’t know. Super cool watch, though. I love these low-tech throwbacks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it’s a countdown- rather than a time-elapse bezel. I’m speculating here, but I think the concentric rings give you decompression times for a given max dive depth (25, 30, 35 and 40 meters). You plan your max depth, say 30 m, which gives you a no-dec time of 20 min, so you set your 20 min mark on the bezel to your minute hand as you descend. It counts down to zero, and you start to ascend when it hits zero. The various markings on the concentric rings give you dec times (usually how long you have to hang around 6m/20ft) - maybe the bezel features into this - don’t know. Super cool watch, though. I love these low-tech throwbacks
That's how you use the deco wheel. The countdown makes sense. It's authentic to the original watch. Weird choice, but it works in this case. I'd love to get my hands on one of these. The originals are cooler, but horrifyingly expensive.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts

The Rainbow watch​

The original version of this watch was the Powerwind 1000 ref. 5907 from 1961, was part of the Ocean Star line, launched in 1959 just at the time when amateur scuba diving was really taking off all over the world.

The watch was not produced for a long time, it went out of production in 1965. As a result, the Powerwind 1000, whose name refers to its water resistance of 300 meters, has become a highly coveted collector's item among sports enthusiasts. diving watches. (.. real: D).
So coveted and sought after in the world to bring the price even above 7000 and up to 10,000 dollars
and to stimulate Mido to make a Limited Edition to ONLY 1961 pieces ALL OVER THE WORLD

"Nice watch for summer!", Also nicknamed Rainbow Watch by many, while its decompression table was designed to be really VITAL for a diver in those years and to be highly visible.
Here is the varied choice of colors that instead takes you back to distant, pioneering dives, with a timepiece that made history (.. could I let it escape?).

This is probably one of the most anticipated summer novelties for the year 2020, this time for the Heritage collection the policy of the Limited Edition of 1961 pieces in the world has been chosen, a perfect choice not to inflate a watch so rare and precious also in economic terms. ..

The news that Mido had planned to bring it back "to life" was released a few months ago and the watch immediately sold out, as usual it is the result of very high speculations and we are already double the price (Price List $1.3)

View attachment 15451077

The Ocean Star is one of Mido's iconic lines and was inspired by the lighthouse on the southeastern tip of the Rock of Gibraltar at Europa Point. First lit in 1841, this famous lighthouse is positioned on the Strait of Gibraltar, where the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea meet.

View attachment 15451078

This area is known for its changing seas, strong currents and fog, which make the lighthouse one of the most famous lighthouses in the maritime world. Mido's Ocean Star collection dates back to 1944 and was inspired by this lighthouse's role in protecting sailors.

If the dial is delightfully anachronistic, the movement is truly modern; inside there is the Mido Caliber 80,

View attachment 15451081

which has a power reserve of 80 hours. The movement is part of a general trend across the Swatch Group to equip its watches with spirals that offer better resistance to magnetism than conventional Nivarox-type alloys and to also offer longer power reserves. The movement is an updated version of the ETA C07.621; it should really offer good performance thanks to the new alloys applied.

Bracciale in acciaio e due cinturini aggiuntivi in pelle (con sgancio rapido delle spring)

The compressed cardboard packaging denotes the class with which MIDO wants to show off
its Limited Edition

The watch in its re-edition did not overstep in terms of size (as most of the time happens)

On the wrist it leaves you breathless, you want for the quality of the finishing and polishing,
either for this sapphire dome that at the ends deforms the edges of the dial with optical illusions,
you want for its colors that I assure you are less bright than what any photo represents

Luckily they didn't make a rear porthole (even if the cal. 80 is very well finished) and they opted for a solid background that portrays the starfish and where the various writings that distinguish it the features are very, very discreet.

Finally, the Lume, unfortunately the new generation smartphone do not accept photos in the dark
and they try to correct them by automatically increasing the light, so we have to be content,
spheres, indexes and Arabic numerals are treated with S.L., same thing for the Dot.

MIDO of the Swatch group wanted to donate this splendid re-edition to lucky 1961s (including myself).

MDT from Italy
Congratulation for this very beautiful piece of time ;) .

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Good review, and it is a beautiful watch. Unfortunately all sold out I think. Congrats on grabbing one!!
Wear it well.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wonderful writeup! Thank you for the great review. I'd love to find one of these one day.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Great pictures of a very nice watch.
Your watch and review are spectacular. I think this is a true winner from Mido.
That's how you use the deco wheel. The countdown makes sense. It's authentic to the original watch. Weird choice, but it works in this case. I'd love to get my hands on one of these. The originals are cooler, but horrifyingly expensive.
Congratulation for this very beautiful piece of time ;) .
Good review, and it is a beautiful watch. Unfortunately all sold out I think. Congrats on grabbing one!!
Wear it well.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Lovely watch, excellent photos and a terrific review.

On a side note, it’s a well-written and thoughtful review. I’m guessing that’s a testament to your writing skills...as opposed to google doing a spot-on job with the translation.

Again, great write up....and enjoy your new watch!

·
Registered
321 Posts

The Rainbow watch​

View attachment 15451077

View attachment 15451078

View attachment 15451081

its Limited Edition

MDT from Italy
Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Kudos on an excellent, well thought out and presented review !

·
Registered
129 Posts
What an amazing write up! Here, I strapped mine up with the Barton Flatwater strap and it turned out amazing as the color matches the dial really well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts