WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a store selling Mido watches. I've never heard of them. Looked around and all I know is that they're owned by the Swatch Group. Are they good? Are they cool? Are they overpriced Swatches? Please give some info, especially those who own a Mido.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Do a search here. They have a good reputation, but they often fly under the radar a bit. They have great modern designs. Go for it.

Swatch group also includes Omega, Longines and many other very reputable brands. Association with the Swatch Group does not make it an "overpriced Swatch".
The Swatch Group owns ETA, which is the biggest, and arguably the best producer of Swiss Movements in the world.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Omega, Breguet, Glaschutte Original are owned by Swatch group. That does not make them overpriced Swatches.

Mido is a very good value for the money BECAUSE many people have not heard about it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Seems like Swatch is trying to be like Volkswagen. VW owns luxury brands like Audi, Bugatti, and Lamborghini. There are fans of all these companies because of their histories, designs, etc. But VW lets them run as standalone companies for the most part, and only certain parts and processes are shared to cut down on expenses. I own a Jetta, but I would never confuse the material and build quality for a Lamborghini. And yet all the profit for both goes to the same place.

In the case of Swatch, it seems to share the R&D for the movements across companies, which is another way of cutting costs. It helps that these movements are considered the industry standard at all quality levels. When you look at the entire Swatch group, don't think of the lowest common denominator--think of well made, reliable movements where each brand has distinct design aesthetics. Marketing departments may want to build an aura of exclusivity based on history, but the reality is different in a mass production environment. Not bad, per se, just different.

All of this is to say: 1) Swatch is highly savvy from a business perspective, 2) they make industry standard parts at all price points, 3) focus on design rather than exclusivity and you will probably score a watch with great value for the price.

Just my $0.02...

G

·
In some places of the world like Eastern Asia, owning a Mido is a big thing. Mido is very popular in Asia and South America. For whatever reason it has really never caught on in the United States. As of late it has started to pick up, but it's not like it's taking off. In the United States they market Hamilton, which many believe to be in par with Mido. I bought three Midos this year. Two of them last month. Like others here already stated, they are a great deal for the money. They quality is superb. If I was to hold an Omega,Longines and Mido diver, you really wouldn't be able to tell much difference between the quality in all three.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
I own one MIDO - Ocean Commander.
I bought it based on the reputation it has among the cognoscenti - like Mike Stuffler - here at WUS.
EXCELLENT watch! Can't say 'nuf good things about it.
Had MIDO put their $$ into hiring a celebrity to model their watches on GQ, their watches would fetch many times what they charge now.
(On that note: screw Tag !) :p

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
Mido is one of the most underrated brand, their watches are good but the brand name doesn't sound terrible :p

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The models which have Chronometer or Chronometre in the name house the top-grade movements. As repeated several times already - excellent value for money, highly under-rated. One of very few brands that look good not only in marketing materials but actually on your wrist.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm definitely going to purchase a Mido in 2011!

Anyone happen to know what version this Mido is?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Just what it says on the dial - Baroncelli

Visit their website to check out the specs.

I'm definitely going to purchase a Mido in 2011!

Anyone happen to know what version this Mido is?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just what it says on the dial - Baroncelli

Visit their website to check out the specs.
I found a BARONCELLI II M8600.4.18.1 with a different bracelet and another with leather bracelet but couldn't find the mesh bracelet version on the site. It looks like all Baroncelli II's have a diameter of 38..was hoping to find a 40+.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My fahther give me this watch some decades ago...any body knows what is the exactly reference or year of this MIDO OCEAN STAR AUTOMATIC?

Thanks in advance por
16039783826498758652932628447758.jpg
16039782913316126754012767067465.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
My fahther give me this watch some decades ago...any body knows what is the exactly reference or year of this MIDO OCEAN STAR AUTOMATIC?

Thanks in advance por View attachment 15523279 View attachment 15523276

You posted your question in a 12 year old post.
If you need info (and have done some homework) do an original post so others can see you asked a question.
Welcome to WUS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
This could be something from the late 60s till mid or end 70s.
Judging by the marque logo, and the slight dome glass which is big leaving little case area to hold the glass... aka "Narrow Bezel".
If it's late 60s, movement will likely to be A.Schild as MIDO was not acquired by Swatch Group then. If the movement is ETA, then this watch will be something from mid 70s till late.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts