WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first diver was a Seiko SKX779 Black Monster. I loved the dial's high visibility, quality bracelet, and smooth rotating bezel. Unfortunately, my wrists are not that big (6”) and I found the Monster to be a bit large for my tastes. I flipped it and decided to try the midsize SKX013.

The SKX013 served me faithfully for over a year without a single problem. I added a Super Oyster bracelet to replace the rubber strap and loved it even more. However, I was finding it a bit difficult to read the time because of the smaller hands, particularly mistaking the secondhand for the minute hand (they are nearly the same size). I also found the lug-to-lug length to be a bit too long for my liking,especially compared to the size of the watch. I stumbled upon the Citizen NY2300 and it had several appealing features so I decided to purchase it.

The NY2300 offers a highly visible dial with big, fat hands and hour markers. In addition to the better visibility, it can be wound by hand, which I believe is a convenience over swinging a watch to wind it (in certain scenarios). The NY2300 is also slightly smaller than the SKX013, featuring a shorter lug-to-lug distance and shorter lug height.

Specifications
Citizen NY2300
WR: 200m
Crystal: Mineral
Movement: Automatic 21 jewels featuring day, date, and hand winding
Calibre: Miyota 8200
Dial: Black
Bezel: Unidirectional 60 clicks
Case Diameter (w/o crown): 38.5mm
Case Thickness: 12mm
Bracelet Width: 20mm

Seiko SKX013
WR: 200m
Crystal: Mineral
Movement: Automatic 21 jewels featuring day and date
Calibre: 7S26
Dial: Black
Bezel: Unidirectional 120 clicks
Case Diameter (w/ocrown): 38mm
Case Thickness: 13mm
Bracelet Width: 20mm

Watch Case Finish
Both watches have astainless steel case, however, the polishing is different. The SKX013 is polished on the top, bottom, and sides of the case. The NY2300 is polished only on the sides and has a brushed top surface. In my opinion, I much prefer the NY2300's brushed top because it more closely matches the Super Oyster it sits on and it looks better. I found the polishing of both watches to be of similar quality. The SKX013 has the tsunami logo on the caseback whereas the NY2300 has a featureless stainless steel caseback.

Watch Case Size
Both the SKX013 and NY2300 are midsize divers in the 38mm range. The NY2300 has shorter a lug-to-lug distance which makes for a more form fitting wear, but it is slightly wider than the SKX013. The lugs of both watches gently slope for a more comfortable fit. In terms of height, Upon handling the NY2300, I immediately noticed it was shorter than the SKX013 and in general, it feels slimmer and not as chunky. The SKX013 has the crown at the 4 o'clock position and the NY2300 has it at the 3 o'clock position.

The crystal of the SKX013 has an inward bevel around the bezel edge. I find that this makes it a little harder to read the minute and hour marker lines because the bevel distorts the image. The crystal of the NY2300 is flat.

Dial
Both the SKX013 and NY2300 have a black dial. To my eyes, the Citizen has a lighter tone of black versus the Seiko. The hour markers on the Seiko are very vibrant and “pop out” more than the Citizen. The NY2300 has fat hour and minute hands and a metal seconds hand with lumed tip. Visibility is astonishing and there are no second guesses. On the contrary, the SKX013 has smaller hour and minute hands and a plastic seconds hand with lumed tip. The seconds hand on the Seiko is quite large in my opinion; the rear portion of the hand is about the same thickness as the minute hand and almost the same length as the hour hand, which can lead to mistakes.

The Citizen has each hour marker labeled and has lume at each hour. The Seiko sticks to using only lines for each minute and hour marker and has no lume at the 3 o'clock position. The calendar of the SKX013 is a very legible font whereas the NY2300 has a thinner style font which makes reading the day and date a bit more difficult than the Seiko.

In terms of lume, both offer great night time visibility. The Seiko appears to offer brighter glow than the Citizen.

Bezel

Both watches feature unidirectional rotating bezels with a lume pip at the 12 o'clock position. The Seiko has 120 clicks and has a tighter feel during rotation. The Citizen has 60 clicks and is a lighter feel during rotation. I greatly prefer the bezel of the NY2300 over the SKX013. It is much smoother and it is easier to grasp; the bezel protrudes slightly over the case at the top and bottom allowing for a better grip. I also like the styling of the Citizen over the Seiko because there is less on the bezel (the Seiko has each minute marked whereas the Citizen only goes up to 20).

The bezel of the SKX013 is raised slightly above the crystal. The crystal of the NY2300 is raised slightly above the bezel. I slightly prefer the bezel to be raised above the crystal to help provide some protection, but hopefully the raised crystal of the NY2300 does not encounter any chipping.

Timekeeping
Honestly, I am not that demanding of the timekeeping ability of my automatics. The SKX013 ran about a minute fast per week for several months after purchasing and after the span of a year, it more or less kept the time on a weekly basis with periodic time setting each month. I haven't had the NY2300 long enough to judge it's timekeeping, but so far it is running very smooth. It appears to be running a little fast, but I expect that to change once it is broken in more.

In regards to the movements, the NY2300's unidirectional winding Miyota movement is a little bit nosier than the Seiko's bi-directional winding 7S26. However, this noise is not at all an issue. In my observation while wearing the watches, it seems as though the Miyota winds up more easily than the Seiko, but that might be due to the fact that you can hear it winding more easily.

Bracelet

The rubber strap that came with the Seiko was extremely stiff out of the box and therefore not very comfortable. After using steam to soften it up, the band became more flexible and comfortable. The Citizen rubber strap was soft and flexible out of the box. It did not have the same “chunky” feel to it as the Seiko strap. I swapped the rubber strap out for a Super Oyster bracelet with solid end links, but I plan on keeping the Citizen's rubber strap.

Conclusion
In conclusion, both watches offer a great value for the money (I paid $140 for the Citizen and $180 for the Seiko). Both have 200m water resistance, screw-down crown, and can be purchased for under $200. In the end, I much prefer the NY2300 over the SKX013 for a few reasons.I love the smooth rotating and easily grippable bezel of the NY2300. The visibility of the NY2300's dial is superb and the hands are large enough to view time without second guessing yourself. The overall shape of the NY2300 is slimmer and better conforms to my wrist and italso seamlessly matches the Super Oyster bracelet. I am stilldebating whether I want to keep the SKX013 or flip it because even though I prefer the NY2300, the Seiko is still a fantastic watch. The purchasing decision comes down to personal preference and it took me two other dive watches before I found the right one. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Excellent review - thanks for that. I am looking for a diver for my wife and it looks like the citizen might fit the bill. She's athletic and outgoing, and isn't a tiny, delicate "girly-girl" so the regular lady divers look like children's watches on her, so I'd like to get her a true diver that's substantial but wearable.

I see what you mean by the second and minute hands being very close in size and shape. I have a SKX009 which has a simple stick with popsicle for a seconds hand, and I assumed that the hands would be the same for the SKX013. Glad I read your review first!

Two questions:
1) What Super Oyster did you get for the Citizen (ie where did you get it)?
2) When you were looking at Citizen alternatives did you check out any of the Eco-Drives or were you looking only at autos? (I'm still open to non-autos for her, since she doesn't have the same affinity to autos as I do.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks!

I purchased the 20mm Super Oyster Solid Stainless Steel Watch Band with the straight bar end link from eBay sold by the seller seikoprince (fast, easy service) for $55.99 last year. It is also available through Tungchoy.com. I really do love the bracelet and haven't had one complaint about it. I haven't had to re-tighten any of the link screws since I bought it and the finish has remained in great condition.

Actually, I did look at other midsize divers. I considered buying a midsize women's Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster dive watch, but at 35mm I decided it'd be way too small for my tastes. I didn't find too many other Eco-Drive watches that were around 40mm (the majority are larger), and I had a preference to own another automatic diver as my daily wear. I do own two other Eco-Drive watches and they are rock solid and accurate, but I don't mind a time adjustment every now and then. :) If your wife cares more for "set it and forget it" then I'm not sure she'd like having to adjust the time periodically, or worry whether the watch is wound or not.

Personally, since I've posted this review, I am still in love with the NY2300, and I did sell the SKX013. I've worn the NY2300 all day (except while showering), every day since I've purchased it and it hasn't let me down. It runs a little fast (just like the SKX013 did), but i only have to make minor adjustments every week or so.
Excellent review - thanks for that. I am looking for a diver for my wife and it looks like the citizen might fit the bill. She's athletic and outgoing, and isn't a tiny, delicate "girly-girl" so the regular lady divers look like children's watches on her, so I'd like to get her a true diver that's substantial but wearable.

I see what you mean by the second and minute hands being very close in size and shape. I have a SKX009 which has a simple stick with popsicle for a seconds hand, and I assumed that the hands would be the same for the SKX013. Glad I read your review first!

Two questions:
1) What Super Oyster did you get for the Citizen (ie where did you get it)?
2) When you were looking at Citizen alternatives did you check out any of the Eco-Drives or were you looking only at autos? (I'm still open to non-autos for her, since she doesn't have the same affinity to autos as I do.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Great review. This definitely informed my acquisition sequence-- I'm a really low-budget collector who is just getting started, and my decision was actually between an NY2300 or NY0040, with the SKXs being a somewhat distant third for economic and size reasons.

The SKX009 ain't gonna happen for less than $175 or so grey market with a metal bracelet, and it's a little big for my wrists, which are very tiny. The NY0040 is appealing, but only about $15 cheaper at around $160 or so (again, with an aluminum bracelet, but even harder to find)... so that seemed like a second choice, not a first, though I wasn't completely sure.

But you review made me consider a crucial issue-- lume on the tip of the second hand for the 2300 vs. at the base of the second hand for the 0040. That's important enough by itself to make the 0040 slip to second place. I might very well need the second hand in the dark-- getting a rough time for a song in a dark rehearsal studio, for example-- and the 2300 will be more useful for that.

Then, you have the economics... I got the 2300 for $80 from Singapore plus $20 for shipping and $25 for some weird shark knock-off bracelet (which has arrived but is not on the watch yet, it looks sturdy, going to the jeweler tomorrow to see how it works out.) The 2300 is cheapest and smallest of my three choices, making it my likely first choice, but I was still on the fence until I read about the lume.

I do really like the 0040 and I hope to pick one up in a year or so. The 0040 has that wonderful double-locking crown and I prefer the crown position, but I rarely scuba dive, and never below 80 feet, the water use this watch will see is mostly scuba and body boarding, so I think that's a not a good enough reason to rule out the 2400.

Anyway, thanks so much-- there's a lot of information out there about this watch, but it's hard to sort through a lot of it and figure out what's important, etc...

Reactions: lvt and shmaiz3r

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a Citizen NY2300 on the way to me now (white dial) so was very interested to read this review which is excellent by the way. I also have a Citizen pro master quartz diver that has the same case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am glad the review has helped you guys! I did purchase a SARB033 several months ago, however, the NY2300 still gets the most wrist time. It is coming up to roughly one year since I have had the watch so I will probably provide an update to the review on how it has treated me this past year. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome review thanks! I was looking for a 013 in blue/Pepsi but they appear to be discontinued. Someone mentioned the NY2300 so I googled and found this review. It has pretty much settled me on the blue version of the NY2300 which sounds perfect for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the review.

It's worth mentioning that the Citizen does not display the word "Divers" on the dial. This is almost certainly evidence that is is not independently ISO certified for diving. Probably this accounts for a) the softer stock rubber/plastic band, b) the lower price.

In other words the citizen isn't a professional diver, whereas the Seiko is. But for 'desktop divers' it's good to hear that you liked the Citizen so much. I too am interested in getting the citizen one day. cheers

·
Registered
683 Posts
This post was instrumental in my purchase of NY2300 instead of SKX013. :)

Many thanks!

Another midsize contender is SKX031, which is 100m WR with bidirectional bezel and 12mm thick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 5+ years old NY2300 fell face-down two weeks ago because the nato strap slipped of my hands (my bad). I'm pretty sure something is broken inside though it stills works but not keeping time. I must say it has always served me well over those years. Well I guess it's time to buy another watch - not sure if it's worth taking it for repair.

Just like 5 years ago, I have to decide again between the NY2300, the NY0040 (which I like a lot except for the lume at the base of the second hand) and the SKX013. But I guess I'll take the same decision again. It's just too bad that the NY2300 (especially the one with the black bezel) is not as affordable as it was back then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Amazing review! I love the Citizen so much! The hands are flat and wide, overall it's a lot better looking, the more I look at them both the more I love the Citizen! Mine is on it's way!! Following this review!! And I also ordered a seiko SKZ013 which I will be selling, as when they both arrive I'm sure I will pick the NY2300!

I will ill up date and post photos of both watchers for all to judge!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the review! I'm a bit late to the party but I was wondering if you would post a picture of the SKX013 with the straight end link Oyster bracelet. I'm trying to replace the stock rubber band and as of now I'm having no luck with a curved solid end link Oyster bracelet, so it looks like my best bet is to get a straight end link bracelet. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Although I no longer own the SKX013, I was able to find some photos of it on the straight end oyster which I have provided below:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but it is interesting that these are creeping up in price. I'm seeing them on 'bay for about $145 or so new from Singapore, so I feel your pain. A lot of used ones are, or were, being sold as "vintage" which seems kind of irritating.

As you can see from my first post here, I've had mine a little over two years. Didn't wear it much last year because my Mako and NY0040 were much more accurate, but... I put mine on two days ago, and it only gained about 2 or 3 seconds the first 12 hours!

Then, weirdly, it gained another 8 seconds overnight (in seven hours) and another five seconds today. But it's still doing better than a year ago, when it was about +20. So I think it's going back in rotation a bit more often. Still a big fan.

My 5+ years old NY2300 fell face-down two weeks ago because the nato strap slipped of my hands (my bad). I'm pretty sure something is broken inside though it stills works but not keeping time. I must say it has always served me well over those years. Well I guess it's time to buy another watch - not sure if it's worth taking it for repair.

Just like 5 years ago, I have to decide again between the NY2300, the NY0040 (which I like a lot except for the lume at the base of the second hand) and the SKX013. But I guess I'll take the same decision again. It's just too bad that the NY2300 (especially the one with the black bezel) is not as affordable as it was back then.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi,
I just bought this Ny2300 from skywatches, all out came to 150$,. It certainly looks good with black & grey nato.
Only gripe/question is have about the smoothness of the DAY window, it is not as smooth as Date window, it doesn't feel confident, sounds and feel glitchy, but it works, the alignment is proper to DATE window,. DATE changes are smooth, sound and feel confident too,. I contacted skywatches, they got back saying all their watches behave same, kind of hard to believe,.

How does it behave on your watch, while if you are changing DAY window only ?

I would appreciate your reply back ?

·
Registered
19,512 Posts
Hi,
I just bought this Ny2300 from skywatches, all out came to 150$,. It certainly looks good with black & grey nato.
Only gripe/question is have about the smoothness of the DAY window, it is not as smooth as Date window, it doesn't feel confident, sounds and feel glitchy, but it works, the alignment is proper to DATE window,. DATE changes are smooth, sound and feel confident too,. I contacted skywatches, they got back saying all their watches behave same, kind of hard to believe,.

How does it behave on your watch, while if you are changing DAY window only ?

I would appreciate your reply back ?
I believe that the behavior you described above is normal, I don't own Citizen watch but I have watches with the ETA 2836-2 day-date, equivalent to the Miyota 8200 in your watch. I think that due to the difference in sizes of the day and date disc, the settings could feel differently, one is a bit loose while the other is firm. But as long as the two windows align properly you are good.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts