WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my Standard/non LE version on Sunday, day off for Labor Day, and I got notice that it had shipped Thursday and arrived today before 10:30 AM. Two boxes, because they shipped a free Bulova logo’d insulated tumbler, (more on that later).
Packaging was nice, solid.

The wording on the outer box was unexpected. Considering the extent of my Bulova collection, it’s nice to be welcome to the Bulova family, finally.
The inner box was well done and constructed.

Inside that is the watch box itself. Semi display version.

When I opened the inner box to see the watch itself, the aluminum display was loose. It slots in and stays at an angle.

Hang tag affixed to the strap.
This is the non LE version. Miyota 82S0 movement. The LE has a number case (X/1000) a Selita movement and the display watch box shaped like the Mil Ships logo featured on the top of the box. It also has Swiss on the dial.
My choice for this version was mani-fold.
A) I didn’t want Swiss on the dial. The prototypes didn’t have it, I don’t want it. Nothing against Swiss movements, just not for this watch.
B) The display case. It’s a cool idea, but unwieldy. It’s big. Where will I keep that sucker? To be honest, the Tumbler is a better storage space for the watch, and actually more functional. It’s a water tight watch (200 meters) so I should be able to store it with any beverage I choose when I’m not wearing it.
C) $1100. That’s about the difference between the LE at $1990 and the standard at $895. All that for an aquarium addition and a black strap? Ok, the numbered case is cool, but if I can’t get the same number as my Devil Diver LE, no dice.
How’s the watch, you ask?
It’s pretty freakin cool.

The crystal is SUPER domed. It’s going to be tough to get good photos of. The Fauxtina isn’t so bad that it’s noticeable. It looks big in the hand though. The 16mm lugs make it appear larger than it really is at 41mm dial size, and the thickness of the bezel makes the dial seem smaller. It’s not really, though. On the wrist it’s really pleasant. Don’t mistake this for a desk diver however. It’s a tool watch through and through. Makes me feel like I can mess stuff up with this watch. It’s a pretty solid chunk of brushed steel.
The bezel is spectacular. Aluminum insert, with bronze colored ordinals. I’m not sure if it painted, anodized, insert, or what, but it really looks good. It’s spring loaded. From the side, it looks like a typical bezel seam, but it presses down easily, which unlocks the bezel and allows uni-directional motion. Smooth as well and then remove pressure and it’ll stay in place. There are setting for the bezel, which align with the minute track on the outer dial, so it’ll stop at those minute marks, rather than freely rotate when unlocked. It’s pretty clever. I don’t plan on figuring out how it works, I’m satisfied that it must be magic. Or Elves.
The dial is pure function. The hands just work, and the shape of the seconds hand is reminiscent of a few military watches I’ve got from the 40’s, particularly a mono pusher chronograph. It’s a retro shape, and really completes the watch. No numbers, and the old school Bulova logo printed on the dial.
I thought I’d be thrown by the moisture indicator, but it’s also a really nice touch. Initially litmus paper that would react to the presence of moisture, this is supposed to be similar, but I personally don’t plan on testing it.
Lume isn’t much to talk about. I’ve been wearing it for about 12 hours, no real noticeable glow right now.
The case back is nicely done, but you’ll hardly see it due to the thick NATO style strap it comes on. This version has a steely blue, almost gray, in a thicker, braided weave. It’s… ok. Noting to really write home about, it’ll do, but I immediately started searching for a differentiator.

Brown is ok

Pigskin is meh

The vintage canvas is heading in the right direction. I’ve just picked up a couple 16mm NATO straps, MOD grey and a Bond style, so we’ll see how those work.

It’s a two part case back with a locking ring. The engraved logo is pretty well executed, looks and feel solid. Ideally I’d be able to find a nice two part strap to go with it. The search continues.
This is going to be a really nice addition to my collection. The problem with vintage is you can’t wear them as they’re intended. My numerous 666 watches don’t even see a faucet, let alone the beach. But this sucker will accompany me to all my aquatic events from now on. It’s a solidly handsome tool watch and really plays up the Archive Series Bulova’s been putting out recently. Totally unexpected, I was really shocked when I saw the announcement. I mean, talk about a historic watch! The UDT prototypes are rarer than hens teeth, with maybe 13 known, and little record to show for it. These are a solid completion of that process and raring to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Nice review and congratulations. Looks great on wrist. Does the Miyota movement used in this diver hack?

·
Premium Member
38,811 Posts
Great review and pictures. Nice to see you add some other straps to it and I think your comments on them are spot on.

Good job.

Enjoy your watch!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice review and congratulations. Looks great on wrist. Does the Miyota movement used in this diver hack?
Yes, it’s a hacking movement, and no false date position on the crown. I’m not horribly familiar with this particular Miyota movement, but I did have that experience with some other new Bulova models with mechanical movements.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, it’s a hacking movement, and no false date position on the crown. I’m not horribly familiar with this particular Miyota movement, but I did have that experience with some other new Bulova models with mechanical movements.

Thanks for the review and good to know it hacks!

Hope time keeping is reasonable, really excited to get my hands on one!

·
Registered
550 Posts
The locking ring on the case back is really a nice touch. I don't think I have read that detail in any reviews. It's something that Bulova use to do on their vintage watches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts