WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

I think I know the answer already but... I'll still ask ;-) .

I have read some other threads that said maintenance isn't really required for most mechanicals (short of a breakage). Y/N? I'm looking at a NOS 46374B and as long as not maintaining it won't cause it to wear out in the next 30-40 years I'm not to concerned. I'm also not looking for, or expecting, hyper accuracy as long as it keeps within a couple of min a day that will more than suit my purposes as it will mostly be for nostalgia.

Will the time it spends not being wound prolong the 'need' for any maintenance or? I'm sure it will see some fairly regular use but most of the time will be down time for it.

Be gentle. It's my first post and I'm new to the Watch world :) .

Thanks
Nats

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Hi Nats, and welcome to WUS and Pil-Mil in particular. :)

I think some lube may be required to keep ny mechanical watch going, lest dried-up - or lack of - lubricants destroy the metal of the gears.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi All

I think I know the answer already but... I'll still ask ;-) .

I have read some other threads that said maintenance isn't really required for most mechanicals (short of a breakage). Y/N? I'm looking at a NOS 46374B and as long as not maintaining it won't cause it to wear out in the next 30-40 years I'm not to concerned. I'm also not looking for, or expecting, hyper accuracy as long as it keeps within a couple of min a day that will more than suit my purposes as it will mostly be for nostalgia.

Will the time it spends not being wound prolong the 'need' for any maintenance or? I'm sure it will see some fairly regular use but most of the time will be down time for it.

Be gentle. It's my first post and I'm new to the Watch world :) .

Thanks
Nats
Thanks Nats for learning a new word "nostalgia" today!
As usual the theory recommends that a mechanical movement has to be overhaul after 3 to 5 years to clean out the abrasives those made by dried-oil and metal dusts.

I have an Omega constellation chronometer bought on July 2000 at Paris. It still matching time with my atomic Casio G-Shock! For that reason if I go with theory my watch will not stay intact anymore, and the accuracy may be the same.

What would you have done? Leave the watch alone or clean it?

Am I gentle enough? :-D

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I have read some other threads that said maintenance isn't really required
Service should be done.

The "non-maitainable" aspect of the 46374s was from the military's point of veiw; they were going to dispose of them when they stopped working, they only wished the watch would last at least five years without service. The associated cost of servicing, shipping to a service center, paperwork, etc would exceed 75% of the cost of a new watch, which is generally accepted by the US military as the upper limit for a repairable item.

The mechanical movements used by the manufacturers (especially the B version) were of the low cost variety, in keeping with the disposable nature of the watches.

However, if one wishes to keep one running for more than few years they should be serviced periodically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts