WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for my next watch I know I want a very 'military' looking watch, for lack of a better term my 'black ops' style watch... while there are many models out there that fit this style the main kicker would be my budget of $150 out the door.

As a gauge, watches that I have found and liked the style of in fitting with the above would be watches from MTM, Chase Durer, the GW7900, GW3000BB-1A, Frogman Models, etc. (G-Shocks need to be Atomic/Solar).

I appreciate all suggestions.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Well yo can forget about the frogman; you can find a GW200 series for about $300 if you look, but they're only solar. You won't find an atomic/solar frogman for less than $500

So for my next watch I know I want a very 'military' looking watch, for lack of a better term my 'black ops' style watch... while there are many models out there that fit this style the main kicker would be my budget of $150 out the door.

As a gauge, watches that I have found and liked the style of in fitting with the above would be watches from MTM, Chase Durer, the GW7900, GW3000BB-1A, Frogman Models, etc. (G-Shocks need to be Atomic/Solar).

I appreciate all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, I listed the Frogman as an example of the style of watch I liked, as a point of reference.

Well yo can forget about the frogman; you can find a GW200 series for about $300 if you look, but they're only solar. You won't find an atomic/solar frogman for less than $500

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
They all wear assorted G Shocks and Timexs. Try the GW 7900. That seems to be a pretty solid choice.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've got this one, the G Shock GW-7900B-1JF "Rescue" and I love it.
Solar powered, automatic atomic time and rugged.
Can usually find it for $100-$200 if you look around.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you aren't married to the idea of solar/atomic, the G-7900 (plain old battery-powered quartz) is often mentioned as having a better module. I've played with both and I prefer the plain G just for the fact that it shows the current time in CDT mode.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok, spent 22 years in the USAR and deployed, so I've seen military watches, and them that sell some.

Just for a baseline, a real military watch is spring powered, with fairly large luminous numeric characters on the dial. Subdued low light colors, and a OD woven band laced thru both springbars.

You can go from Timex and Casio $25 models, up thru some pretty high end version for that. The actual soldier isn't usually issued one, it's a special MOS type thing - SF, Dive, Command, SEAL.

Since they're 100% tax dollar, price is important. In the day, Timex, Hamilton etc. Now, Marathon, or CWC. <--- Those are issue. The ones listed are for sale to anybody. Not anybody buys them, tho.

A watch a soldier buys is usually something he can rely on, will take a beating, and is affordable. At the groundpounder level, Timex, Casio, G-Shock. In the day, Seiko Dive watches were the discerning choice. They were actually sold in the PX in Vietnam, durable, and now actually iconic from the era among private purchase.

The MTM, Chase Durer, really, not so much. It's somewhat other that what the public thinks, soldiers tend to shy away from the uber tactical stuff. It's a matter of not staying in your lane. If you aren't actually SF/Delta/SEAL, then wearing one is a bit poser. The culture is hierarchal in a way, and more than bluntly honest. Covert OPs warriors don't wear Overt Special Operations Watches. Kind of a dead giveaway, except for the SEALS. They wear RESCO, because it's made by a SEAL, for SEALs. That's honest. But, they don't really look like a high end tacticool watch, either. All duty, no bling.

If it's got a NSN and CAGE number on it, it's much more likely to be a true military watch. "Black OPs" needs deniability, a SKX007 with no country of origin does the job better. You can't trace the wearer back to anything as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

Just my opinion having been in.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the responses.

The 7900b-1 has been on my list for a while but I wanted to see what else was out there along the same style lines.

When I say military/black ops looking I certainly understand real world sf etc are not wearing some cd sfwatch or mtm seal watch but the look of those mentioned is what I am looking at.

The 7900b-1 has the black with negative display for the stealthy look along with a moon and tide phase etc etc giving that sf appearance... but not knowing a lot of the models on the market I turn to the forum for suggestions.

I like the skx007 a lot esspecially in all black but the lack of numbers and just hash marks looks a lot like the rolex sub date which I don't like (the fact that it looks like it to a degree) but it has made the list.

If there are other models I should be considering please throw them out.

Tirod...thank you for the service and the post.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the responses.

The 7900b-1 has been on my list for a while but I wanted to see what else was out there along the same style lines.

When I say military/black ops looking I certainly understand real world sf etc are not wearing some cd sfwatch or mtm seal watch but the look of those mentioned is what I am looking at.

The 7900b-1 has the black with negative display for the stealthy look along with a moon and tide phase etc etc giving that sf appearance... but not knowing a lot of the models on the market I turn to the forum for suggestions.

I like the skx007 a lot esspecially in all black but the lack of numbers and just hash marks looks a lot like the rolex sub date which I don't like (the fact that it looks like it to a degree) but it has made the list.

If there are other models I should be considering please throw them out.

Tirod...thank you for the service and the post.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wore a G-shock mostly but I don't remember the model. I do recall a lot of SF wearing Rolex GMTs, Explorers, even remember a Navitimer worn by one in garrison. In fact I bought my 16710 Pepsi off a friend at Camp Mackall back in '00. Watches weren't issued in my day and I don't think any SOF/SOC-types can make that claim either... I may be wrong? Maybe the 160th?

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Here's my two suggestions based on what I own, for what it's worth:

G-Shock Mudman GW9000A-1

* Pic borrowed from here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f105/review-casio-mudman-gw9000a-1-g-shock-atomic-269849.html

This one hits your list for G-Shocks. It's atomic and solar. And what I like about it is the strap is held on with screw bars as opposed to spring bars.

Bertucci A-2T Vintage

I really like my Bertucci. They are a small company out of Illinois. The cases are titanium with fixed lug bars - I say lug bars as opposed to spring bars because they are cast as one piece with the case. Here are some good shots of the lug bars:
https://www.watchuseek.com/attachme...bertucci-swiss-quartz-55-00-obo-case-back.jpg
Help me find a tough, reliable watch [merged topics]
http://www.topspecus.com/shop/images/36147/bertucci_odss_back.jpg
http://www.sportiquesf.com/image/data/--/Yellow2.png
The biggest downside, though, is the lume is really weak. It doesn't bother me at all, but it does some people.

Otherwise, I've read plenty about Suunto watches being pretty tough and surviving some tours of duty. But I have never owned one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts