WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a military issue watch for my collection. Which ones would you recommend? :-s

Thanks,
Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Would you mind to be a bit more specific ? Chrono ? No chrono ? Readability at night (Superluminova, Tritium tubes) ? steel/steel or steel/leather ? Date/no date ?

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Actually your choices are going to be pretty limited. The military really doesn't/didn't have a general issue wristwatch.SOCOM units have been issued watches from time to time but that is a rareity. I believe that the Marathon GSAR/TSAR was an issue watch to certain Canadian SAR units.Also the Muhle SAR was an issue watch to some German SAR units.You may try searching Janes Guide to Military Equipment,might be something there.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Actually your choices are going to be pretty limited. The military really doesn't/didn't have a general issue wristwatch.SOCOM units have been issued watches from time to time but that is a rareity. I believe that the Marathon GSAR/TSAR was an issue watch to certain Canadian SAR units.Also the Muhle SAR was an issue watch to some German SAR units.You may try searching Janes Guide to Military Equipment,might be something there.Good luck.
Thats not correct at least for when I was in. First every soldier didn't get a watch only certain positions by TOE (table of organization & equipment) the one position that always had an issue watch was the NBC NCO and the NBC Team Leaders. When I was an NBC NCO in 1977 & 78 I had three watches on my hand receipt. The guys on the Pilots & Military watch forum have more information.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Get a G-Shock...that's what most of the squids wear. ;-)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmm, I always thought that the ADANAC NAVIGATOR, THE BENRUS TYPE I AND II, THE MIL-W-46374, THE GG-W-113, THE HAMILTON MIL-W-46374,THE STOCKER AND YALE 184 AND P650 AND 660 WERE ALL "MILITARY ISSUE WATCHES" No?. Regards

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I suppose some folks are issued watches, but during the six years that I was a soldier, I never met anyone who was issued one.

If you asked about a watch you were kindly given directions to the nearest PX. ;-)

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I have a couple. Both mentioned above
A 1965 military spec Benrus

Back has all the specs.

A 1990 military spec Marathon.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I have one. A Gallet 7750 issued to pilots (acording to Gallet). They didn't tell me which force/s.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks guys! This site is the best.

I am looking at a TSAR so far, or the navigator.

Opinions?
I have a TSAR, it's a nice watch, very solid. It has a very nice satin finish to the case. It's a good size aswell...a large watch but not oversized, I could wear it everyday quite happily. Looks good on different straps aswell, nato, rubber, bracelet or even leather. The tritium tubes are a bonus aswell...don't expect them to glow like a beacon, but you will always be able to see the time regardless of light conditions.

I have never handeled a navigator. It has the same dial, hands and movement as the TSAR. It has a much lower water resistance than the TSAR (300m). I'm not 100% sure but I think it's 50m, could be 30m.

You could also look at what CWC have to offer. They do a quartz and auto diver, and a field watch. These are British army and navy issue.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Aren't most modern Sinn's civilian offerings of watches made specifically for different German military branches?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Go old school (WWII issue):

·
Registered
307 Posts
The military really doesn't/didn't have a general issue wristwatch.
Actually I was issued a marathon tritium general purpose watch the year I joined. Not everyone is, but my uncle was the Regimental Quarter Master so I got special treatment. I still have it and in reality its a POS and I generally wear a G-Shock at work unless I know I'm going to be in my office all day, lately I've been wearing my Hamilton.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I joined the Army, early post Vietnam, the plastic/composite cased general purpose watches. were referred to as Mickey Mouse watches. Most guys wore their own. Seiko watches, were really inexpensive at the PX overseas, so there were a lot of Seiko's worn. It was also common to have a good watch and a field watch. The Army did issue two pretty good watches, The Benrus MK I to Special Operations soldiers, and the GG-W-113 pilots watch, made by Hamilton, Benrus, and Waltham.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts