WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
361 - 378 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I went to USN boot in September 1988, in Orlando, FL (now long gone). We weren’t allowed to wear watches. The only non-issued item you were allowed to wear was a wedding ring. But even that was discouraged. Most wore them on their chain around their neck along with their tags.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Retired Cro Air Force helicopter pilot hire.
My "Go Anywhere Do Anything" Seiko SKX007 is with me since 2007. He survived more than 2000hrs of military flying, mountains, sea, three deployments to Afg, first weding & divorce and retirement
Regular rotation with Omega Speedmaster & Seamaster, R. GMT Master and JLC Master Control
Hmm... It should be named Seiko SKX007 GADA Master

·
Registered
JLC MUT MP, Cartier Santos, Rolex YM, JLC MCD, Rolex DJ36, Omega PO, Rado True Auto, Glycine MP
258 Posts
Depends on the day, but this most recently.

Edit: oof medium quality sure came out bad this time around on tapatalk...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Reactions: 79x

·
Registered
936 Posts
I own a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro. I like it a lot and the GPS features are really cool. But, one of the known issues with the various Garmin watches is that the Heart Rate Monitor is wildly inaccurate. Unlike other brands of smart watch, Garmin can't make their HRM feature work. Garmin says that if one needs an genuine heart rate measurement, to use their optional bluetooth chest strap feature.
Also, I've read on various forums that the steps counting feature, when measured by testers using actual steps counted, has found to be inaccurate by a wide margin also.

The point of all this, is that if these guys are relying on the Garmin's HRM or other features for their fun and games with watches class, then they're building their program around fictional data.

Reactions: O2AFAC67

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I own a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro. I like it a lot and the GPS features are really cool. But, one of the known issues with the various Garmin watches is that the Heart Rate Monitor is wildly inaccurate. Unlike other brands of smart watch, Garmin can't make their HRM feature work. Garmin says that if one needs an genuine heart rate measurement, to use their optional bluetooth chest strap feature.
Also, I've read on various forums that the steps counting feature, when measured by testers using actual steps counted, has found to be inaccurate by a wide margin also.

The point of all this, is that if these guys are relying on the Garmin's HRM or other features for their fun and games with watches class, then they're building their program around fictional data.
Interesting - my various Insinct models have been right on target when I've had the opportunity to compare them to something else.

Sent from my SM-G889A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Reactions: CCJ

·
Registered
936 Posts
Interesting - my various Insinct models have been right on target when I've had the opportunity to compare them to something else.

Sent from my SM-G889A using Tapatalk
My experience with my Garmin Instinct (a very nice watch) , my Fenix 6 Pro and the 3 Fenix 6 models my son has used (He's an EMS supervisor) whilst trying to find one with an accurate HRM, mirrors what the various comments on the Garmin Forum indicate. If you need an accurate heart rate reading, use the blue tooth chest strap accessory. At times my Garmins, when tested against the PulseOx thingy my doctor recommended, are dead on, but on most occasions they are not, and in many other instances they have been up to 50 bpm off. That said, I still really like my Garmins, and since the HRM function is unreliable, I turn it off to extend battery life.
A comment I've also often read is that if one wants an accurate HRM, then buy an Apple Watch. Those comments usually come from kids that don't realize that there a lot of folks who would rather strap a dog turd to their wrist than be seen wearing an Apple Watch. So, trying to 'splain it to them is a waste of keyboard strokes.

• Love
Reactions: O2AFAC67

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
My daily right now is a Tudor Black Bay 58. I have a Garmin Fenix 3HR for PT and sometimes in the field, but its too bulky for all-day wear and a smartwatch is inconvenient for some stuff I do.

View attachment 16366778
Looks great with all the different colors somehow complimenting each other.

·
Registered
Omega | Apple | Seiko | Stowa | Zelos
23 Posts
Typically the most popular field watches for military are the ones that are inexpensive and readily available in the military px clothing and sales and shopettes. Timex Ironman and G Shocks being the most popular. I wore a Timex Ironman during my time in service and in Iraq back in 2003.
Same here. I had a Suunto back in 2007 that was bulky and I didn’t have a use for the altimeter. Ended up buying a Timex Ironman in Kuwait on the way to Iraq and it became my field watch for 12 or so years until it finally gave out. I’d wear a Tag F1 or Omega Speedmaster in garrison, but that Timex was great in the field.

361 - 378 of 378 Posts