WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I’m active duty military and originally was looking for an analog field watch for my purposes as my job sometimes leaves me without a phone or in times were pulling a phone out just isn’t practical etc.

Well not really finding much in that category, I’ve started to consider digital watches and for tough military use the Casio G-Shocks seems to be very popular and are supposedly about as tough a watch as can be found anywhere in any variety.

Looking at the different types, I see they offer a subdued “military” version with a reversed display:

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW5600MS-1CR-G-Force-Military-Concept/dp/B001QFYDEC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Looks great and more stealthy that the standard model. But, some are saying the display is dark and hard to read? Does anyone have any input on this? I am on my way to Afghanistan and want a solid and reliable watch for the job. Is this a good model?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
From what I've read, the MS series watches, with their red-tinted LCDs, are harder to read than other negative display Casios. I suspect the DW-5600BB-1 would be easier to read. Still, if ease of reading is important, a positive display version is the way to go.

This video shows the difference in display contrast between the DW-5600BB-1 and the DW-5600MS-1.

https://www.gshock.com/watches/digital/dw5600bb-1

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
https://www.casio-intl.com/in/en/wat/watch_detail/GLS-5600CL-5/

Okay, I gotta throw out a vote for a GLS-5600 variant. I love the module for the dual stopwatches and other features. The CL line has NATO straps, which have really grown on me for comfort and durability. When worn with any sort of elastic cuffs, these don't bind or pinch at all, but rather become part of the sleeve.
The WCL/double velcro models such as the GLS-5600V have a dual layered system designed for cold weather. They're a bit bulkier, and a little complicated to put on, but they'll ride all day, staying visible without getting in the way.

IMG_20180520_142526077.jpg

gls5600cloth.jpg

20171105_115632-1.jpg

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
A square would be lower on my list because the buttons are smaller and harder to press.

A 6900 of some sort is a good way to go. Front light button and other buttons are easier to press with gloves on.

Solar/atomic is cool but not too applicable most of the time. I also wouldn’t necessarily get something expensive or hard to replace. Nothing wrong with a $45 DW-6900.

I’d certainly recommend a positive display.

I wouldn’t overthink it! Stay safe.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
depends on your MOS, for "in country" night ops, the MS is great as it bright enough to see with the light at night without disrupting night vision or disturbing critters as it is red. but for normal ops wear, any G will do. the 56XX series is what i would recommend as it will slide under BDU or Dress sleeves. its low profile also helps while working in tight areas or less watch to grab if grappling. Ibe San even joked about it for the Zombie attacks~

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, THANK YOU for all the replies, well wishes, and help! Well I paid a visit to the BX this morning just to see what they had, and sure enough there was a DW5600E-1V tucked in the back of the display case. That was the only one, no MS in sight. I asked to try it on and it felt GREAT. It was at a fair price so I snagged it!

Got the date and time set to an atomic clock. Boy is this a swell watch!! :)

I’ll keep my eyes pealed for the MS and other versions mentioned here, but I really needed a watch badly and this one should be great for now. Glad to be a member here and proud to own my first Casio G-Shock!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Congrats I like this one more than MS version

I had 5600MS as my first square. I love the look but it didn't get much wrist time (as display does require ideal light condition, Imo)

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Guys, THANK YOU for all the replies, well wishes, and help! Well I paid a visit to the BX this morning just to see what they had, and sure enough there was a DW5600E-1V tucked in the back of the display case. That was the only one, no MS in sight. I asked to try it on and it felt GREAT. It was at a fair price so I snagged it!

I’ll keep my eyes pealed for the MS and other versions mentioned here, but I really needed a watch badly and this one should be great for now. Glad to be a member here and proud to own my first Casio G-Shock!!
the 6900 would be fine on your wrist. its really not that much bigger than the 5600. something to keep in mind ;) |>

·
Registered
542 Posts
GD350-1 - cheap, chunky, instant access to countdown timer, not too bulky.
Negative display on this is superb, I also have the DW6900MS and the red tinted negative display is rubbish in all but direct light or backlit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,201 Posts
Very good choice! :)

This watch is stealthy enough while being still redable.
And its rather low profile, good for wearing under cuffs and gloves (what was the normal use for a watch back when i was conscript).
Good choice for the PX shop to sell, too! :)

·
Registered
28,405 Posts

Great choice and take good care I guess you're in the German Army - Bundeswehr/ Panzerdivision - ( your username ) Be safe

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
My opinion do not buy a solar version of this stealth versions, they tend to get foggy behind the glass, and starts to get difficult to read the hours in certain position's!
Here you have an example, my stupidly foggy king!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts

Really good choice. I would of pass on all these negative displays. There is nothing tactical or military to them. Just some feeling, mostly by some people who not really served in the military.
Best thing is STN display if you want to go negative
In general, i know they look cool and i also had it for same reason, just don't like to wear it because it takes more wrist movement to read time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts