WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a compound that can be used safely on a mineral watch crystal? I heard I could use Brasso. Anyone ever try that?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have read on this forum that Tooth Paste is a good choice. Haven't tried it though.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
My understanding is that polywatch/brasso/toothpaste all work on acrylic bu to remove a scratch from a mineral crystal you are better off just getting is replaced...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've removed several scratches from mineral and one from sapphire. You'll need diamond paste and a dremmel tool (or a lot of elbow grease) Even mineral takes a long time to polish out a scratch, so be patient. Most important thing to remember is, don't let the crystal get too hot. Get a course grit and a fine grit to finish it off.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've removed several scratches from mineral and one from sapphire. You'll need diamond paste and a dremmel tool (or a lot of elbow grease) Even mineral takes a long time to polish out a scratch, so be patient. Most important thing to remember is, don't let the crystal get too hot. Get a course grit and a fine grit to finish it off.
Hi Groundhog, so you mean you actually did like in this guide?
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...32539&rid=5666

He used 3 micron and 1/4 micron diamond powder, would you recommend the same? This poland seller on e-bay is selling 3 micron and 0.25 micron diamond paste (see link as long auction is running), do you think they're ok? I'm really afraid to make things worse, but I'm curious to try this with an inexpensive watch of mine...:think:

thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts

He used 3 micron and 1/4 micron diamond powder, would you recommend the same? This poland seller on e-bay is selling 3 micron and 0.25 micron diamond paste (see link as long auction is running), do you think they're ok? I'm really afraid to make things worse, but I'm curious to try this with an inexpensive watch of mine...:think:

thanks a lot!!!
UP for this unanswered question if someone knows. And also... does someone know if the method shown in the above link is ok also for mineral crystals?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not familiar with the term micron in grit size. I used 8000 and 14,000 mesh equiv. The higher the number the finer the grit. Used in conjunction with a Dremmel felt wheel, the courser grit to start, followed by the fine grit for polishing. Practice on an old drinking glass that you've scratched. Just remember, don't let the crystal get too hot.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm not familiar with the term micron in grit size. I used 8000 and 14,000 mesh equiv. The higher the number the finer the grit. Used in conjunction with a Dremmel felt wheel, the courser grit to start, followed by the fine grit for polishing. Practice on an old drinking glass that you've scratched. Just remember, don't let the crystal get too hot.
thanks mate! So i understand you did use a tool (this Dremmel), while in the linked guide the guy just used his fingers.

thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I guess you could use your fingers but I would imagine it would hurt after a while.The Dremmel tool works much better IMHO.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is a compound that can be used safely on a mineral watch crystal? I heard I could use Brasso. Anyone ever try that?
I have successfully used Flitz, a fine abrasive polishing compound available at gun stores, to polish out scratches in mineral glass crystals. It works great! The stuff comes in tubes and costs around $8 per tube.

Use a cloth like T-shirt material. Use circular motions. Don't rub too hard. Wipe off and then rinse. The scratch will be gone!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

thanks a lot!!!
Just saw this.

Poland? Did someone say Poland? Maybe our Polak in residence polaco23 knows him!

-T

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Flitz? I've never heard of it. have you used it on mineral glass or on a gun?
I've used it on jewelry, e.g., rings and watches, and on mineral glass crystals. It works great. It's not a really rough abrasive . . . it's more of a fine polishing compound. But I've been able to get just about every scratch out of a mineral glass crystal. My 20-year-old Seiko still looks brand new because the scratches always get buffed out of the crystal!

I seem to have a penchant for dragging crystals along concrete walls . . . and the resulting scratches on the crystal are easily buffed out if the crystal is mineral glass. There are some diamond dust products recommend for sapphire crystals.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've used it on jewelry, e.g., rings and watches, and on mineral glass crystals. It works great. It's not a really rough abrasive . . . it's more of a fine polishing compound. But I've been able to get just about every scratch out of a mineral glass crystal. My 20-year-old Seiko still looks brand new because the scratches always get buffed out of the crystal!

I seem to have a penchant for dragging crystals along concrete walls . . . and the resulting scratches on the crystal are easily buffed out if the crystal is mineral glass. There are some diamond dust products recommend for sapphire crystals.
After reading this I ordered some on eBay but it's doing zilch to the scratches on mineral glass here, this is what you were referring to right http://www.flitz.com/p-16-flitz-polish-paste.aspx ?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
An old thread, I know, but I just wanted to share my experience. I just buffed a scrape/scratch out of a domed mineral crystal using Barkeeper's Friend. Worked in minutes! Just put a small, tiny amount on a microfiber cloth, used small circles, medium pressure, and voila, no more scratch! Recommended. :) But be careful to keep it away from the bezel if it is polished -- this stuff WILL scratch the polished finish (so you'll then have to resort to a Cape Cod cloth for that)!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I took a scratch out of mineral glass with Mcquire's California's Gold scratch remover (any auto parts store), maybe even walmart.

I did it all by hand, and a cloth, no tools, no dremel.

The scratch was faint, and it took a couple of hours, but it was gone. The trick is patience :-!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts