WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I wanted to add a valjoux 72 to my small collection, I came across this time piece with beautiful dial and case combination,
the asking price is 2100usd
The seller says it's serviced couple of months back.
please let me know is this price worth? Or what's the right price range

Thank you all for your time

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yes, Minerva chronographs can sell for a lot of money. If you're in doubt, then you ought to look into the eBay completed listings and see what similar models sold for.

But as you'll notice at the top of your forum post list, we don't do valuations here. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vintage-watch-valuations-read-first-7-rules-67379.html

And it's impossible for anyone to have any opinion about your watch without pictures.

Sorry not to have been able to be more helpful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, kindly let me know is this minerva genuine and worth for a valjoux 72. Thank you

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hi again. Sorry to say, you've uploaded tiny images and so impossible to see what's up. When you post a message, click 'Go Advanced' and then 'Manage Attachments, where you can upload your pictures. Your image file sizes must be below 300kb (I usually save as jpeg at around 275kb to be safe) – quite small in file size – so save your pictures accordingly and I'm sure one of the guys here that knows Valjoux movements will have a thought about this one. As it is, I can only tell it's a Valjoux because you say it is.

Thank you very much, kindly let me know is this minerva genuine and worth for a valjoux 72. Thank you

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plus let me know if any of you know more about this model? Couldn't find any in eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Pics much better! I myself don't know much about this model, but it looks pretty nice to my eye. Hopefully, others will weigh in. I suspect that the price is at the higher end of things, but still, it does look clean. I'm guessing that this model comes from the 'middle' period of Minerva's history, between the Frey family ownership and before the current Montblanc (Richemont) one.

In my own opinion, most chronographs are actually assemblages, and that the key thing with most is the quality of the base movement, in the case the Valjoux, so a Valjoux is a Valjoux is a Valjoux and the name on the dial is not as relevant/important as it might be on simple watch offerings from most companies. At the upper end, of course, there are modifications made which make a base movement more particular to the brand, but most are more straightforward marriages made to satisfy a market demand, rather than a manufacture sensibility. My suspicion is that this is the case here. But there are many here who know far, far more than me and let's see what they say.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting information,thank you "Habitant" , I love the dial and case size aesthetics of this time piece, I found by go ogling some of this model ware auctioned, most expensive one going for 800 usd, so this one is on higher end . and considering my location, it's hard to find a good watchmaker. And read a very educative write - http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vintage-watch-valuations-read-first-7-rules-67379.html

Hope some logic will prevail over addiction of this hobby when I make my choices :)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,890 Posts
I'd say that a Minerva with a Valjoux 72 rather than an in house chronograph movement is definitely not worth 2100 bucks!

(But then I say the same thing about other watches with the same movement with some funny name on the dial... what was it again... - oh yes, "Rolex"! But for some idiotic reasons, these things go for nearly half a million at auction.....:roll:)

The bottom line is that it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. And I am sure that, even at 2100$, some idiot will come along and pay that sort of cash for it. But there is no reason, why that person should be you.;-) Take a look at several others that are available (if necessary, others with a Valjoux 72, never mind whether it's Minerva) and see what they go for.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, decided to wait and take it slow, and do proper research.
If its valjoiux 72 it can be any name on dial which I can wear.
If it's Minerva it better be in house movement

1 - 12 of 12 Posts