WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reviewed close to 70 watches in the last 8 months. Most of these have been new brands; mostly micro-brands that are trying to somehow differentiate themselves from the rest, while also giving the customer what they want. Unfortunately, over 75% of these watches are highly derivative, lack any cohesive design identity and are pretty much cookie cutter dive watches with a few superficial modifications to a pre-existing factory template. Yes, I've reached a point of saturation where most micro-brand designs just don't stand out to me anymore. So for my own collection, I've been gravitating more towards watches that stand out, and tell one part of a larger cohesive design story. In my opinion, Ming is one such brand, and I was fortunate enough to find their first ever release, the Ming 17.01, pre-owned and at a price that wasn't insane. While I review this watch, I will take into consideration the original retail price (around $900 USD), the wide spectrum of secondary market prices ($1350 - $2500), as well as all the hype surrounding this brand.

Video review -

Written review - Ming 17.01 Anthracite – Beans & Bezels

Photographs:

·
Registered
Breitling Aerospace, Davosa Ternos, Victorinox Airboss Chrono, Glycine Airman GMT, Etc...
258 Posts
Thank you for putting in the time on this! It's a gorgeous piece.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've reviewed close to 70 watches in the last 8 months. Most of these have been new brands; mostly micro-brands that are trying to somehow differentiate themselves from the rest, while also giving the customer what they want. Unfortunately, over 75% of these watches are highly derivative, lack any cohesive design identity and are pretty much cookie cutter dive watches with a few superficial modifications to a pre-existing factory template. Yes, I've reached a point of saturation where most micro-brand designs just don't stand out to me anymore.
I very much agree. This MING has caught my eye in the past as it does in fact offer something new. Just as with modern music it is increasingly more difficult to not be derivative in such a crowded market.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Great review! At the original RRP it's a bargain.

I believe Grade 5 Ti is harder than traditional 316L SS.

Reactions: singularityseven

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I very much agree. This MING has caught my eye in the past as it does in fact offer something new. Just as with modern music it is increasingly more difficult to not be derivative in such a crowded market.
Cannot disagree with you on both fronts (music and watch design)!

Great review! At the original RRP it's a bargain.

I believe Grade 5 Ti is harder than traditional 316L SS.
I believe you're right, but from what I'm reading now it appears that there is a wide spectrum of Grade 5 Ti hardness. Some softer than SS, and some harder, depending on what additional treatments the alloy undergoes. From what I can see on the polished surfaces of this Ming, it is likely to be a bit softer than SS since it has picked up a few micro swirls fairly easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts