WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MING is/are dropping their last batch of 27.01s and their first and last batch of 27.02s this month.

MING 27.01

CHF 3,950

MING 27.02

Full details of the 27.02 will be available on 14 January but we can leave you with a few headline stats: sapphire dial, gradient guilloche, 38mm diameter, 6.9mm thick, priced at CHF 4,950. This will be the final batch of 27.01 and 27.02 and once sold, we will be retiring the 27-series permanently.
Given that they sold their 27.02 prototype via auction last month, it should be safe to assume that it looks a lot like this one - 2020 MING 27.02 Concept

Photographs taken from their website.

Their email indicates 150 units of the 27.01 and 200 units of the 27.02 to be released over three 'release dates' - 14th January for existing customers (50 x 27.01, 50 x 27.02), 15th January (50 x 27.01, 75 x 27.02) and 22nd January (50 x 27.01, 75 x 27.02).

It seems like their releases are increasing in frequency and slightly in size as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thoughts? Peppa and her family are going to Paris by car and I thought, how’s that even possible? Then I realized they live in the UK.

Oh and Ming, yes, I really don’t understand how people will buy just anything

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thoughts? Peppa and her family are going to Paris by car and I thought, how’s that even possible? Then I realized they live in the UK.

Oh and Ming, yes, I really don’t understand how people will buy just anything
:ROFLMAO: Not sure Peppa can leave the UK right now, given updated travel restrictions and whatnot.

Ooops...

ETA 7001 Manual Wind for CHF 3950 or CHF 4950. Anyone got a coupon code?
To be fair, it has been heavily modified and doesn't look shabby at all.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Same movement. $300 on sale. Modified for thousands evidently...

LOL I’ll keep this one.
4B05D014-07E3-4137-AA04-54721B145C45.jpeg
C8D32C67-BD15-4BA3-BB7D-662FE734942C.jpeg

·
Registered
723 Posts
:ROFLMAO: Not sure Peppa can leave the UK right now, given updated travel restrictions and whatnot.

Ooops...

To be fair, it has been heavily modified and doesn't look shabby at all.

View attachment 15642066
Fair point but it’s Covid, not the swine flu, doesn’t apply to them 😂

Reactions: singularityseven

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same movement. $300 on sale. Modified for thousands evidently...

LOL I’ll keep this one.
View attachment 15642067 View attachment 15642085
Christopher Ward makes great watches! (y)

Fair point but it’s Covid, not the swine flu, doesn’t apply to them 😂
🐷 You're right, what was I thinking? :LOL:

I am tempted, but probably not.

Is it worth it? Good lord yes. If you try to compare this to a bare-bones 7001 then you truly have no clue.
Given that they have quite a few releases planned for 2021, I'm hesitant as well. I do find the 27.02 very interesting.

And yeah, even if it had a standard 7001 and a closed case-back, I'd still be pretty impressed. But then again don't listen to me, I own an ETA 2824 powered Tudor Black Bay.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Ming has truly entered into Veblen Goods territory. You'd have to be fast and lucky to get one of these if you're in the market for it. It seems the more exclusive and higher priced the offering is, the more it's in demand. Good for them. I like the design language quite a bit. The value is not there, for me, but I guess that's not the point.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I'll probably at least check in right at release but likely end up passing on it, like with their diver last year.

Reactions: singularityseven

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ming has truly entered into Veblen Goods territory. You'd have to be fast and lucky to get one of these if you're in the market for it. It seems the more exclusive and higher priced the offering is, the more it's in demand. Good for them. I like the design language quite a bit. The value is not there, for me, but I guess that's not the point.
I suppose you're right, but I'm not sure if that's the only thing driving this brand and I'm not sure if it always applies either. I have noticed that their expensive watches take longer to sell, and even saw their Worldtimer available for over a month, in comparison to the 3-4 minutes that the others sell out in. But then again, what is "expensive" is a relative term and you have folks like Kevin O'Leary and Producer Michael talking about this brand now, to whom I suspect this is pocket change.

Thank you for sharing. I'll probably at least check in right at release but likely end up passing on it, like with their diver last year.
Happy to share. I'm mostly curious to know what the improvements/changes to the 27.02 will be compared to the prototype, if any.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but I don't see what the big deal is with everyone against paying extra for something with an ETA. I mean, if that's all that matters, then that's fine, go buy a movement. Last I checked it's a watch forum here, not a movement forum. You pay more for the Ming than a Chr. Ward/CW/CWard/Christopher Ward because obviously they have decorated and modified the movement, and I suspect the case and dial has had more work that that CW. If you can't see the value in design, fit, and finishing of a movement and case, then what's the point in even buying a CW? Just buy a cheap children's quartz for $10. I'll be more accurate to boot.

Also, good for Ming for pulling off what most Kickstarters (I think it was one) couldn't. Surviving and, as it sounds like, thriving.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It’s a meh at best - I like minimalism, but this just looks too minimal and gives me the visual impression of some sort of obscure fashion brand.

·
Registered
414 Posts
For comparison the Swatch Sistem 51 automatic movement with a 90 hour power reserve. $150. It definitely misses on the craftsmanship but the aesthetics are the same.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts