WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mini, neo, or baby monster. Which name will stick? I prefer neo monster because they are definately not mini or baby compared to the original monsters. Thoughts?
2011-05-21_07-57-53_622.jpg

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
"I prefer Neo or M2 but Seiko did some special editions with custom rubber straps and zippered cases bearing the text "Mini Monster". So it would seem that they've adopted that name.

Image from Yoeman Seiko's most excellent blog.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't think the "mini" pertains so much to the size of the watch as it does to the watch not being quite up to the specs of the original Monsters (ISO diver, extension on the bracelet) versus the mini (100M WR, no screw down crown, glass back, etc.).

You could easily swim/shower/etc. with the mini monster, but as a true diver it's more fashion than function. All that said, I want a white one in the worst way.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mini, Neo, Sport 5 - by any other name they're still cool and I had an addiction....

Reactions: soulbazz

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I'm loving the many mini monster/Seiko 5 divers out there and am developing my mini-crush, especially for the all white one, but know I'll want more once I get that one! Started off with the OM like many folks and started noticing the minis. At first was put off by the display back, but have gotten over that psychological hurdle.

My question for those in the know: is there a big difference between the made in Japan models and the Singapore/Malaysian versions? Seem to be subtle case dimension differences for instance. Maybe quality issues too? Don't think all models are even available as made in Japan either.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm not in the know but this is the internet and that never stops anyone from responding... :)
As far as I know they are absolutely identical except for that tiny bit of text on the dial. My white one is a J version.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
My question for those in the know: is there a big difference between the made in Japan models and the Singapore/Malaysian versions? Seem to be subtle case dimension differences for instance. Maybe quality issues too? Don't think all models are even available as made in Japan either.
I have owned both the J and K versions of the white mini monster, and they are exactly the same except for the text on the dial at 6 o'clock.

Regards,
Jason

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't know if I'm in the know either, but I do know this: My white and black mini's are Japanese and are better quality then the blue, red, yellow and green that I got from Singapore. The Singapore versions I have do not have lumed markers, although they look like they do. Only the hands are lumed and not as well lumed as the Japanese versions. The bezels are pretty loose and the bracelets aren't as "solid" as the Japanese versions. They also have the same serial numbers, haha. Probably clones but I like them just the same. I will say I got my orange mini from Singapore (not the same vendor as the others) and it's indistinguisable - other than color -from the Japanese versions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Personally for me, if Seiko made the Mini an ISO diver and put it on the Monster's bracelet, I'd own one.

These two watches have the best and worst of both worlds. The whitie Mini is far more attractive to me, but has a display back and 100M WR. In my eyes the Monster is as attractive as a mud fence but has an awesome bracelet and is a true diver. Someone put a white Mini bezel and dial on a Monster, pressure test it, and let me know where to send the money. :-d

·
Registered
705 Posts
Personally for me, if Seiko made the Mini an ISO diver and put it on the Monster's bracelet, I'd own one.

These two watches have the best and worst of both worlds. The whitie Mini is far more attractive to me, but has a display back and 100M WR. In my eyes the Monster is as attractive as a mud fence but has an awesome bracelet and is a true diver. Someone put a white Mini bezel and dial on a Monster, pressure test it, and let me know where to send the money. :-d

Ya know, there is a white monster out there, limited edition I think was just released recently. A little too rich for my blood though. Only diving I do is at my desk, plus if i'm under water more than 330 feet I have more to worry about than my watch, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts